DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Quad Cab 2wd 5-speed
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
JR23 is on a distinguished road
Default Home made CAI

I would be interested in seeing pictures of home made CAI for 4.7 liter motors. It apears to be simple from the out side looking in anad I have read some posts of DIY jobs that may have worked. Thanks to all members who show post of reaching for greater mpg out of our trucks!
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Here is mine but should work on the 4.7, just don't need that hat. Sort of like the last pic.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

I hope my post can help you build one. I am basically outlining why the BFI from AirFlowInnovations is the best choice, and if that is completely out of your budget, I hope you can take information from this post and apply it to your build.

Bernoulli's principle is used to explain fluid dynamics and how fluid can be accelerated by the change in pressure. It applies to gases that are unchanged as well. Air entering the BFI at the Large 6" opening on the high-flow filter will flow into the TB and move from that 6" opening to a 3.5" elbow that mates up with the Throttle body. A property that effects Bernoulli's principle is that of friction and resistance. The air entering the intake is moving so fast it is unable to change in temperatures enough to affect the principle itself. The design of the BFI allows it to reach air from a pocket away from the engine heat and in route to the Throttle body, the flow is extremely smooth without any friction or resistance .

If you can make a HomeBrew intake taking the principle of (even if you arent able to utilize a gradually decreasing Diameter) smooth flow and velocity you will have a winner. Try to start large at the filter and allow it to smoothly flow from the filter to the Throttle body without any sharp decreases in tubing sizes that would cause turbulence (which negates the velocity principle and smooth flowing air). I think any intake with an open element filter will be louder and might enable a slightly better flow of air, but to increase performance and to add a killer sound, the large metal resonating smooth tube of the BFI is the best example.

Hope this helps a little. I have no personal examples of a homemade intake on a 4.7 truck for you, other than what I have seen online.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Wermbang, I hope you don't mind but I'd like to throw an idea out to help clean up your CAI install. Go to your local home improvement store and purchase an Electrical Conduit Hanger that is the same size as your pipe and bolt it to your wheel well (see picture below).

Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

At risk of getting flamed...
If you want the best gain, avoid metals for the piping, or coat the metal. Metals hold heat more and cool more slowly, plastic actually stays closer to ambient temps and should generate equivalent velocity in the same size and shape/length. Have you ever noticed this on K&Ns site;
" there are two K&N Air Intakes to choose from. The 57-1529 gains 8.63 more HP @ 4688 RPM with a black non-metallic tube and the 77-1529KP has a 6.8 HP gain @ 4743 RPM with a polished aluminum tube."

I like to make fun of PVC intake pipes, but the principal is actually superior... Just remember its all about INSIDE diam.
If you do a pvc intake, scuff it good and paint it. If it has the size and the word PVC on it I will make fun of you...its a habit I cant seem to break.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

This is on a hemi , but you get the idea . http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=41675
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003
Color: Charcoal
TheJuggernaut is on a distinguished road

Where are you guys actually getting the cone shaped filter? This is such a great idea. I have been holding off dropping $200 at the store for a K&N CAI, but I'd give this idea a go.

I know I can get the piping and connectors no prob, but I assume you must purchase the actual filter from a manufacturer.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
At risk of getting flamed...
If you want the best gain, avoid metals for the piping, or coat the metal. Metals hold heat more and cool more slowly, plastic actually stays closer to ambient temps and should generate equivalent velocity in the same size and shape/length. Have you ever noticed this on K&Ns site;
" there are two K&N Air Intakes to choose from. The 57-1529 gains 8.63 more HP @ 4688 RPM with a black non-metallic tube and the 77-1529KP has a 6.8 HP gain @ 4743 RPM with a polished aluminum tube."

I like to make fun of PVC intake pipes, but the principal is actually superior... Just remember its all about INSIDE diam.
If you do a pvc intake, scuff it good and paint it. If it has the size and the word PVC on it I will make fun of you...its a habit I cant seem to break.
Not, it is legitimate. But how long does that air stay in the tube? Long enough to be changing several degrees? And the IAT is compensating the timing all along. There has been a lot of testing done in regards to intake composition. Metal is not bad. The BFI is 16ga. and Powdercoated, you should have no worries.

And x2 on a PVC intake unfinished, lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
Where are you guys actually getting the cone shaped filter? This is such a great idea. I have been holding off dropping $200 at the store for a K&N CAI, but I'd give this idea a go.

I know I can get the piping and connectors no prob, but I assume you must purchase the actual filter from a manufacturer.
S&B, K&N, Spectre (common at your local autozone type places), Green, you name it. A lot of companies carry them. You can drop up to $80 on one though. Just search around.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 1500
zilla is on a distinguished road

here is a picture of my homemade intake on a 4.7