DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:22
BigD is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Dodge Ram electrical problems

Hi all,

New poster/member here...

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the 5.9L engine in it. And have some weird elctrical problems...

Some of these are really strange so bae with me, I can easily reproduce one of them at will.

1) brake lights...
a) under medium acceleration from a stop, the brake lights will come on. They stay on till you get up to speed, typically 3-5 seconds...
b) along with the brake lights, occasionally they have stayed on when the vehicle has been parked, I've seen this a couple times, resolution was to open the hood and slam it down.

1a) is the most annoying.

2) Door locks are intermittent when using the lock/unlock button, most doors work except the drivers.

3) Power windows. The drivers controls always work for all windows. the remaining 3 doors (passenger and both rears) are internittent. Most of the time they don't work, but occasionally have.

There is an after market remote starter and keyless entry (this was a strip down Ram that had a Regency package added to it) so there was no factory keyless entry. Keyless entry works the same as the unlock on the doors. And remote start is fine.

Any ideas of where to look for this problem ? any know common trouble spots ?

Thanks for your assistance !

Big Dave !
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab
Color: Black/Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Raymc7 is on a distinguished road

Did you have the problems before the Keyless was installed? Who installed the aftermarket keyless? Check all the harness connections where the keyless is wired. Also water may have gotten into the door controls if the windows were left open in the rain. Open all the door controls and check for moisture.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Brake light in the dash or the lights at the back of the truck . Just noticed also , you haven't stopped at the newbie section and introduced yourself . Stop by and get your forum greeting .

Last edited by Toms Blue Ram 1500; 09-30-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:22
BigD is on a distinguished road

Raymc7 - The keyless entry had been installed professioanlly by a company that installs stuff like that. Auto alarm and stereo type installation company. It had been installed about 3 years ago. I had no problems till recently. The window and door lock issues started this year sometime. The brake lights, I cannot say when it started, I noticed it this year, it was a fluke... I was takin off from a stop on a dark country road, looked in my rear-view mirror, and thought it seemed bighter than usual, so when I let up on the gas I noticed the difference. So I experimented and confirmed what I found.

Toms Blue Ram - Sorry, I introduced myself in the newbie section... Also it is the exterior brke lights that come on. no idiot warnings of any kind on the dash.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. 5.7 L
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
hwatkins is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 Power Window (and cruise) Problem

Just like BigD:

Power windows. The drivers controls always work for all windows. the remaining 3 doors (passenger and both rears) are intermitant. Most of the time they don't work, but occasionally have.

There are no electrical aftermarket items installed. I am the original owner and the truck has just over 40,000 miles.

Also, on 90 degree plus days, with the cruise control activated, and I start down-hill (pavement), all of a sudden the engine revs higher. I push and release the overdrive button. The engine rpms settles back to a normal range.

The local stealership had no suggestions except to bring it in for diagnosis.

This is my first post so I'm headed to the intro forum.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HKW
Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwatkins View Post
Just like BigD:

Also, on 90 degree plus days, with the cruise control activated, and I start down-hill (pavement), all of a sudden the engine revs higher. I push and release the overdrive button. The engine rpms settles back to a normal range.

HKW
On my '02 if I'm in cruise and going downhill, if the speed picks up more than 6 or 7 MPH the trans will downshift to help slow the truck. Could that be what you're seeing? Your RPM's will jump up if the trans has shifted.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

1) Sounds like a sticking or misadjusted stop lamp switch

2) Possibly a weak battery in your FOB and a bad actuator on the drivers door.

3) Possibly bad switches on the other doors. Maybe from contact corrosion from lack of use if you normally open the windows from the drivers switches.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: 4x4 quad Cab
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
mike223 is on a distinguished road

had the same issue with the brke lights but the only way I could shut them off was to cross the ground pin and brake pin in the trailer plug connection. I ended up taking it in to the "stealership" as you put it so truly and there was a 4 volt outpu signal from the instrument cluster to the brakes, ended up having to replace the cluster...1200.00 later the problem was fixed.
Hopefully you don't have the same issue.
Mike
Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1974 D200 Voyager Club Cab
Trim Level: Club Cab
Color: Blue
Velander is on a distinguished road
Default Window control problems on 2003 Ram Pickup

I purchased a used 2003 Ram pickup about 10 months ago and only the window controls on the drivers door will control the windows. When I am controlling a window from the drivers door the control on the affected door will stop the window from moving when pressed, but doesn't do anything on it's own.

The controls on one of the doors was working one day, but it isn't working now.

Any idea what could be causing the problem or has anyone else solved a similar problem on their truck?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velander View Post
I purchased a used 2003 Ram pickup about 10 months ago and only the window controls on the drivers door will control the windows. When I am controlling a window from the drivers door the control on the affected door will stop the window from moving when pressed, but doesn't do anything on it's own.

The controls on one of the doors was working one day, but it isn't working now.

Any idea what could be causing the problem or has anyone else solved a similar problem on their truck?
You need a new drivers windows switch