DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough
Default Alignment?

I just picked up the Ram from my mechanic. All upper and lower ball joints were replaced, as was the trans. filter and fluid and diff fluid. My steering rack is leaking and need to be replaced. I will order one but it will take longer than I have to come in. The tie rod ends will also be changed. The earliest I can have this done in next Saturday. With work driving and what not I will put +/- 1000 miles on the truck until than. Can I drive without having it aligned for this short time? I would prefer not to have it aligned twice within two weeks. The truck drove straight with the steering wheel centered before the ball joints were done. Now it pulls slightly to the right and the steering wheel is also cocked a little to the right. The rack is just seeping at the moment. How bad do these things get to leaking at their worse? I am tempted to have an alignment done tomorrow but wait a few months if I can to have the rack replaced if I can. I just dont want to wear out a set of tires not doing the alignment but I cant afford to have an alignment done every week either. Thanks for any opinions.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I would say if its pulling now , they may have disassembled the front end completely and knocked the front end out of alignment worse . If you have to use the truck I would say do the alignment so you don't waste a set of tires . Let us know how it turns out . Tom
Old 09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Tom, if it's already out of alignment putting 1000 miles will most likely toast your tires, so you have to think about what's cheaper, new tires or an alignment.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Alignment done. The rack replacement will have to wait a couple months though. Figured I was darned if I did or didnt.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Great hows it feel now . Go straight down the road ?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

ususally it you get any suspension component like struts, tie rods, ball joints, you should at least get it checked out to see how far off it is, or if its out at all. And if it is out, get it done asap, because that can ware your tires quickly, and could possibly damage something else. Also, if you got the alignment done afterwards, and then came back to get the tie rods installed, it should be and in warrenty alignment because its the same shop that did your suspension components previously, and they are the ones installing the new tie rods. However, thats if the tie rods have no movement. If they did, you can not get the alignment done anyway until they are replaced, because the alignment wouldnt hold up well anyway due to bad suspension components.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM

Tie rods have no movement. Truck drives straight down the road, and steering wheel is straight.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM

why are you getting new ones??? and just because it drives straight, does not mean that your alignment is set correctly...ever heard of toe adjustments??? if your toe is out of alignment(technically called "toe in") in this case, both tires are pointing inward slightly, sometimes it will seem like your car is going straight for awhile, until your tires finally ware, and start squaeling up a storm unless it is adjusted...

Last edited by CHILLZ HEMI; 09-15-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
USAFcrewchief is on a distinguished road

to add to this subject. I have a 03 2wd 1500 that has always been wearing tires on the inside for as long as ive owned the truck (3 years). not real bad, but enough to need rotating bout every 6 months...i put new shocks on it, but i put some cheap autozone brand. ball joints and wheel bearings are good. could it be springs? both front tires are cupping on inside.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFcrewchief View Post
to add to this subject. I have a 03 2wd 1500 that has always been wearing tires on the inside for as long as ive owned the truck (3 years). not real bad, but enough to need rotating bout every 6 months...i put new shocks on it, but i put some cheap autozone brand. ball joints and wheel bearings are good. could it be springs? both front tires are cupping on inside.
Well you should be rotating AND balancing your tires every 5k miles anyway...as far as the cupping, it could have been your shocks, dont know how long you have had on the new ones, but it ususally takes about 1k miles to even the tires out(getting rid of the cupping naturally)...