DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about
Default Roof paint feels raw

Just waxed my '09 for the first time yesterday. I spent about 6 hours detailing and the wax was the last step. In any case when I finally got up in the bed and did the roof I noticed that the roof felt "raw", like I was running my hand over a coat of primer rather than finished paint. Even after waxing it was still rough by comparison so I waxed it twice. Now it feels smooth, but it made my wonder what the difference was.

I live in south florida (new resident in the last year), is this UV damage already starting. I've only had the truck 2 months, and though I don't know how long it was baking in the sun on the lot, it only had 9 miles on it when I bought it so I don't think it was even test driven and I can't imagine it was there long before I took it home.

What else could that be? Does the paint settle differently on the flat surface of the roof durring factory painting? In any case I'm baffled.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Try to clay it . You'll be surprised what a difference it makes . Then you''ll end up redoing your whole truck . http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+G1016
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i'd say try a clay bar, it could be deposits building up on the roof and the clay bar will pull them off the paint. then rewax
Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 AM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

I was thinking of trying a clay bar but have been tight on money. Like might not be able to pay the rent tight. I already had all the other detail stuff on hand, including enough wax for a go, and didn't really want to spend any extra.

I've never used clay before so that will be new when I get too it. I was trying to explain the clay bar concept to my wife. She doesn't get it.

If you think it's just contaminants that's a relief (sort of). I'll have to see what i can do the next time I detail. As it was I spent about 6 hours. My wife doesn't like when I armorall the trim inside the door but I always do it anyway. I don't have nerf bars and she has fallen out of the truck twice in the two months I've had it.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO! sorry to hear she fell out, but that's figgin' hilarious. Tell her to hold onto the handle when she gets out then... unless you armorall'd that too!

Also, check the armorall ingredients, if any of them say silicon STOP using it! they will make it nice and shiney but dry out the vinyl.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

You may be starting to lose your clear coat. Stay on top of it or you may need to repaint.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
LMAO! sorry to hear she fell out, but that's figgin' hilarious. Tell her to hold onto the handle when she gets out then... unless you armorall'd that too!
Of course I armorall'd those too. Need to make them shiny.

Thanks for the tip on the silicon, I think the package said safe for vinyl but I'll check the ingredients anyway.

Edited to Add:
The container doesn't list ingredients but it says, "Renews & Revitalizes vinyl, rubber, & plastic"

Father down there is another section that made me laugh,
"Use only as directed. Not for use on floors, vehichle controls (pedals, grips, steering wheels), ... and other surfaces where slipperiness may be hazardous."

Guess I am not using as directed.

Last edited by GPSHSLAX; 10-10-2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Dean,

I'm having a tough time making out your avatar ... is that you rolling a WW kayak?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
Dean,

I'm having a tough time making out your avatar ... is that you rolling a WW kayak?
Nantahala Falls. And to be accurate, it is me trying to roll a WW kayak!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanthecrabman View Post
Nantahala Falls. And to be accurate, it is me trying to roll a WW kayak!
Cool. I've yet to learn to roll my boat. I know all the steps, but I havent had time (or a partner) to help me put them in practice yet. I should be a taking an ACA class with Karen Knight is a few weeks though. Should learn it then.