DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 04 quad cab T/A SCAT PACK ?
Trim Level: MOTORHEAD style
Color: SILVER / BLACK
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
MOTORHEAD816 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonshemi View Post
just wondering what kind of gas you guuys use in these hemis
I HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING.....theres no substitute for better fuel mileage or performance than 92 or 93 octaine ...don't give me that it's to high priced.. in the long run you get better fuel mileage or it will go farther on a tank of premium......remember the lower the octaine the more water your trying to burn....and water don't burn ... thats why it gets less mileage on 87 and always buy name brand fuel like shell....bp....ect ect...not some off brand like petro x or circle k or some mom and pop boot leg crap..........if you really want some mileage out of your motor get a programmer with a premium tune option the factory tune is for 87 unless the manufacture calls for 92...let get real on here guys this is not a question to be ask on here..........and some of you on here don't have a CLUE

Last edited by MOTORHEAD816; 10-25-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: read on and read more crap
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
MikeD is on a distinguished road

There are a few facts about gasoline that make whether you buy it at a name brand station or not almost irrelevant.

First, all gas is generic as it leaves the refinery. There may be differences due to local requirements due to season and pollution control requirements, but all of the refineries are dumping their output into the same pipeline distribution system. The output of a Mobil refinery gets mixed with the output of a Citgo refinery and etc. Here in the Chicago area we have 3 refineries that make the blend required for the local pollution control rules. A Citgo in Lockport, IL, BP in NW Indiana, and Exxon/Mobil in Joliet, IL. All three get the bilk of their crude in via pipelines primarily out of Canada. All three ship their output in the same pipeline distribution system. So up to the point where the big tanker truck picks up their load to deliver to your local fueling station, all gas is exactly the same.

Next, at the point where that tanker trailer is making its pickup, here is where the difference comes in. They put in the proprietary additives unique to each brand. The difference could be as little as a quart of additive in a 10,000 gallon tanker. So that tanker picking up a load for a Mobil station is likely carrying fuel that was refined at a combination of different companies, just that it contains the additives that are specific to Mobil. This is also the point where the ethanol is blended in. Ethanol cannot be transported via pipelines due to its propensity to pick up water. It is usually shipped by rail.

So the next time you think that one brand of fuel is better, just remember it is only the additives poured into that 10,000 gallon tanker that are different between brands. For me, if the Shell is 5 cents more than the Speedway or Sams Club, I'm buying the Speedway or Sams club and won't give it a second thought.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Booey View Post
I'm using 89 based on the recommendation in the manual. I wanna make sure I feed all 390 horses.
Damn, I've been using basic 87 octane. I had no idea that it recommended 89 octane! And 390HP? Damn, I wish I had 390HP out of my Hemi. I only have a bone stock 345HP. Oh well, at least it's a Hemi and not a Triton.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD816 View Post
I HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING.....theres no substitute for better fuel mileage or performance than 92 or 93 octaine ...don't give me that it's to high priced.. in the long run you get better fuel mileage or it will go farther on a tank of premium......remember the lower the octaine the more water your trying to burn....and water don't burn ... thats why it gets less mileage on 87 and always buy name brand fuel like shell....bp....ect ect...not some off brand like petro x or circle k or some mom and pop boot leg crap..........if you really want some mileage out of your motor get a programmer with a premium tune option the factory tune is for 87 unless the manufacture calls for 92...let get real on here guys this is not a question to be ask on here..........and some of you on here don't have a CLUE
That sounds pretty harsh, it's an honest question and some people just don't know.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
MikeD is on a distinguished road

As far as the premium vs regular debate goes, all I can go on is on page 373 of the owners manual, "The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines."

That's enough to settle it for me in my unmodified truck. I have bought some 89, but could tell no difference, so I'll stick with whatever 87 that I find cheap that day.

And remember, that octane is a rating of a fuels resistance to preignition. The higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite before you want it to. It has nothing to do with how much power you get out of your engine.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
ALLPAR will become famous soon enoughALLPAR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Damn, I've been using basic 87 octane. I had no idea that it recommended 89 octane! And 390HP? Damn, I wish I had 390HP out of my Hemi. I only have a bone stock 345HP. Oh well, at least it's a Hemi and not a Triton.
The 09 Hemi's are stock with 390hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
As far as the premium vs regular debate goes, all I can go on is on page 373 of the owners manual, "The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines."

That's enough to settle it for me in my unmodified truck. I have bought some 89, but could tell no difference, so I'll stick with whatever 87 that I find cheap that day.

And remember, that octane is a rating of a fuels resistance to preignition. The higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite before you want it to. It has nothing to do with how much power you get out of your engine.
Agreed!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Crystal Black
Rep:65
rebel2thegrave will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to rebel2thegrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
There are a few facts about gasoline that make whether you buy it at a name brand station or not almost irrelevant.

First, all gas is generic as it leaves the refinery. There may be differences due to local requirements due to season and pollution control requirements, but all of the refineries are dumping their output into the same pipeline distribution system. The output of a Mobil refinery gets mixed with the output of a Citgo refinery and etc. Here in the Chicago area we have 3 refineries that make the blend required for the local pollution control rules. A Citgo in Lockport, IL, BP in NW Indiana, and Exxon/Mobil in Joliet, IL. All three get the bilk of their crude in via pipelines primarily out of Canada. All three ship their output in the same pipeline distribution system. So up to the point where the big tanker truck picks up their load to deliver to your local fueling station, all gas is exactly the same.

Next, at the point where that tanker trailer is making its pickup, here is where the difference comes in. They put in the proprietary additives unique to each brand. The difference could be as little as a quart of additive in a 10,000 gallon tanker. So that tanker picking up a load for a Mobil station is likely carrying fuel that was refined at a combination of different companies, just that it contains the additives that are specific to Mobil. This is also the point where the ethanol is blended in. Ethanol cannot be transported via pipelines due to its propensity to pick up water. It is usually shipped by rail.

So the next time you think that one brand of fuel is better, just remember it is only the additives poured into that 10,000 gallon tanker that are different between brands. For me, if the Shell is 5 cents more than the Speedway or Sams Club, I'm buying the Speedway or Sams club and won't give it a second thought.
Learn something new everyday....

But either way, I use the factory recommended 89. That's all I've ever put in it.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

Its been stated many times throughout this thread, that if you have modifications such as a tuner, SC, or turbo, the use of premium would be sufficient...I you have a CAI, and exhaust, the manual calls for 87-89(as i put on the first page of this thread), 91+ will give you no advantage what so ever in mpg or hp on a stock low compression engine, thats just not how it works...If anything your making the engine run like garbage, and possibly causing abnormal or uncontrolled combustion inside the cylinders because of the higher octane rating...
Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: electric blue pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:584
foxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to all

89 octane per the manual
2 1/2 level lift--hella 500ff grill lights--17x9 centerline grizzly-305-70-17 nitto terra grapplers--front air valance removed--tinted windows--custom audio system clarion vz401 head unit--pioneer 4channel amp and class D mono amp--memphis mclass door speakers--clarion dash speakers--kicker subs
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: '05 DODGE RAM RUMBLE BEE #2306
Color: YELLOW
Rep:12
lumberjack is on a distinguished road

i use 95 with my 2005 rumble bee.no probs
we also have 98 here in France but never tried yet