DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram 3500 mega cab dually
Trim Level: laramie
Color: western brown and silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:44
emax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgebruce View Post
from the looks of an earlier post, of a 2010 controller, even if you get the factory controller and hook it up to the supplied connectors, it looks like the truck has to go back to the dealer for a re-flash so the EVIC see the controller and allows for proper operation
Hey dodgebruce I have a 2010 ram 1500CC and it also came with the tow package with out the integrated break controller I ordered it from the parts guy and installed it my self (4 screws and two plugs) it worked fine but did not show up on the dash in the evic but still worked like it was suppose too. When I took it in for a oil change i had the dealer re flash the system and now it shows up in the evic. Sorry but i am not sure about the 2011 models but if you look under the dash where the break controller goes and you see two gray plugs not connected to anything you can probably do the same.
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
zoomeroo is on a distinguished road
Default Integrated brake controller

I just got my 2010 ram and I need a brake controller. I read everything i can find on line and some say the ones that are available today work. I called my parts "person" and she brought up the part number suggested. She read me a caution that was on her screen and it said to not use it for retrofitting. the truck had to have it from the factory for it to work. Her page also said there will be one available from dodge this fall that can be installed on a truck that didn't have one from the factory.

I've had most of the different brands. There are two basic kinds, penduleum and timed. Big price differances between brands.

GM has one that works off of a reostat on the brake pedal. The more pedal the more brake. Works well if you like GM..

I am not sure which kind will be made available. One of the people who have installed the current version might know which type dodge is making.

As far as the current ones working some say they do but they do not register in the evic display.

If you need one right now so you can tow but still want an OEM. Go buy a cheap timed one from Redneck or Hoppy. Hook it up and lay it on your seat like the one gentleman said he was doing. Maybe even velcro it to your dash. When the oem's come out switch.

I am going to wait a month to see what the factory sends out.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge RAM 3500 Diesel
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
dodgebruce is on a distinguished road

tks EMAX.
Dealer said he won't see factory controllers till about Jan of 2011, and said the 2010 most likely will not work in my 2011, but don't see why, as I doubt that they would have changed the tow package wiring
from 2010 to 2011. You didn't happen to notice if it had the regular long
4 pin plug? I have a generic controller that I have used for my last 3 3500's. I pick up the truck this Friday and will be hauling a trailer 700 miles 2 weeks later and need to hook up something in the interm
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram 3500 mega cab dually
Trim Level: laramie
Color: western brown and silver
Rep:44
emax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tks EMAX.
Dealer said he won't see factory controllers till about Jan of 2011, and said the 2010 most likely will not work in my 2011, but don't see why, as I doubt that they would have changed the tow package wiring
from 2010 to 2011. You didn't happen to notice if it had the regular long
4 pin plug? I have a generic controller that I have used for my last 3 3500's. I pick up the truck this Friday and will be hauling a trailer 700 miles 2 weeks later and need to hook up something in the interm
Hi dodgebruce I would wait till you get the truck and look under the dash to see if you have two gray plugs one bigger then the other and then just order the stock OEM part from the dealer or go on line and order it from a mopar site. the dealer service has to just go in to the dodge computer system and add it to the build sheet and then re-flash the truck it should be no big deal if the dealer knows what to do some don't (like mine) and give you a hard time till they figure it out and see how easy it is.It cost me $ 166.00 for the unit and the trim piece. It seams like the parts guy is trying to sell you an accessory part and not the OEM part.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

My parts guy usually gives the parts at their cost. told my the price of the controller
is $125, and $10 for the color matched plastic panel. One other thing RAM buyers should invest in is the rear wheel well liners to keep the sand and salt from building up in all the nooks and crannys on the box. Think they are around $35 and a good investment in prolonging the life of the box. They are no a well publicized part and you have to ask the parts guy for them.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default brake controller update

Quote:
My parts guy usually gives the parts at their cost. told my the price of the controller
is $125, and $10 for the color matched plastic panel. One other thing RAM buyers should invest in is the rear wheel well liners to keep the sand and salt from building up in all the nooks and crannys on the box. Think they are around $35 and a good investment in prolonging the life of the box. They are no a well publicized part and you have to ask the parts guy for them.
10/13/10 stopped by the dealer yesterday on the way home and picked up the controller and bezel. took 15 minutes MAX from start to finish. While I was at the dealer, I told him to add the controller to my build list and will be in on Sat to get it re-flashed. Even though it doesn't show up on the EVIC yet, the controller is fully functional. The controller will work with ONLY the LARGER connector hooked up. The larger connector is the one that provides all the braking functions and the smaller one is ONLY for the EVIC display. For those that only have the larger gray connector, you can get the mating plug from etrailer.com for $10.45 plus S+H. Of course the parts guy said bring it in and we will install it and re-flash it, but I see that a sucker play to charge you for an hours worth of labor, where just about anyone can do in the driveway for a fraction of the time. I would rather pay myself $100/hr to do than the dealer and they played stupid right up to when I had to tell them how this game works. I told him I will take the controller home and install it and all they have to do is add it to the vehicle build list and re-flash it. The person I spoke to had nothing to say, because I knew more about his product than he did, but this is typical, so do your home work first. Sorry for the long post.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default brake controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Yep, that's what it's supposed to do.
just installed the integrated brake controller to my truck (2011 RAM 1500)
which had the 2 gray plugs under the dash. When I picked up the controller I told them to add it to the vehicle build list and I would be back to have it reflashed. Just a note on the controllers and the 4 pin/7 pin recepticle at the bumper. If you only have the larger gray square plug the factory controller will work perfectly fine. The larger gray plug is for all the brake control functions and the smaller gray plug is ONLY to have it show up on theEVIC display. When you first turn on the ignition the controller will light up for about 10 seconds and show the number 5, which is mid way setting. The P3 controller with the 2010 adapter will work for both the 2010 and 2011 RAM 1500's, but you just won't see it on the EVIC
but personally I don't really care one way or another. For those with after market controllers that want to connect it to the 2010 or 2011 RAM, you can buy the gray plug (larger of the 2) with pig tale leads from etrailer.com for $10.45 plus S+H. Have had RAMs since 1994 and towed longer than that and all this negative hype over a simple connection is a bit much. I had to tell my dealer what and how to do it, and to their surprise it worked. Pretty bad when a customer has to tell the sales and service people how their product works.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

[deleted] .........

Last edited by ken99; 10-14-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Unhappy part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken99 View Post
[deleted] .........
couldn't answer your question about part numbers. Just told my parts guy I needed the integrated controller for my 2011 RAM 1500 and 2 days later he had it in, took it home and 15 minutes later I had it in and on. set it for MAX and manually locked the trailer brakes so I knew it was working.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
couldn't answer your question about part numbers. Just told my parts guy I needed the integrated controller for my 2011 RAM 1500 and 2 days later he had it in, took it home and 15 minutes later I had it in and on. set it for MAX and manually locked the trailer brakes so I knew it was working.
Sorry for the deletion, but I thought the question was moot when I read it was a "P3" controller and assumed it was an aftermarket model and not the Dodge factory Integrated Trailer Brake Module (ITBM) that fits in the dash. If this is a Dodge product purchased from a Dodge parts counter, the part number would listed on the receipt.