DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
pmifsud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmstr View Post
I installed kit today started truck controller lit up with a 5.0 on it. Minus button took it to 0. Plus button does nothing does it need to be hooked up to trailer? Am getting ready to have it flashed but my trailer is up north still how do I check to see if its working.
Did you mean KIT as in "Integrated Trailer Brake Controller "KIT" or did you purchase the factory replacement module that had the "ThIS UNIT WILL NOT WORK WARNING"

Reason I ask is that Kit is supposed to be available in Mid November and I am looking for information on this kit if you have any.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmstr View Post
I installed kit today started truck controller lit up with a 5.0 on it. Minus button took it to 0. Plus button does nothing does it need to be hooked up to trailer? Am getting ready to have it flashed but my trailer is up north still how do I check to see if its working.
I can set mine from zero to 10 in 0.5 units. The controller will basic not respond or provide any other feedback until a trailer harness supporting electric brakes is connected to the truck. I have not flashed the computer for the ITBM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

bowmstr is on a distinguished road

I asked for kit in Pinckney mi. it was not available. I found a dealer who would sell me the replacement. I have the two plugs. With the instructions on the forum. It was 10 min. I am currentlly up north now and the brakes are working the up keys worked after I was hooked up to a trailer.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Color: Diamond Black
DirtRider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmifsud View Post
Did you mean KIT as in "Integrated Trailer Brake Controller "KIT" or did you purchase the factory replacement module that had the "ThIS UNIT WILL NOT WORK WARNING"

Reason I ask is that Kit is supposed to be available in Mid November and I am looking for information on this kit if you have any.

Thanks
I installed the "replacement module" - not a kit and it works fine. My dealer even flashed the computer for free so I could see the brake activity on the display.
BJ
Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have to say it is very frustrating dealing with Chrysler on the issue of the ITBCM kit becoming available by mid november. Neither Chrysler relations or two dealerships that I am talking to have any information to confirm that a kit indeed is being worked on or not. You would think that somewhere in Chrysler land that there is a product manager out there that would know or at least update the bulletin with a revised delivery date for the kit. When I ask about the factory replacement module they say that it will void warranty and most importantly will not accept any liability if the brakes were to fail. AND ON TOP OF THAT STAND BY THE BULLETIN THAT THE ITBCM WILL NOT FUNCTION, even though many owners have gone out and installed these modules with not one issue.

I guess this is what you should expect when dealing with a major multi national auto maker.

What a Joke..
Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:26
ken99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmifsud View Post
You would think that somewhere in Chrysler land that there is a product manager out there that would know or at least update the bulletin with a revised delivery date for the kit.
The response I got from my dealership parts person I purchased my ITBM from back in July. I asked a month ago if the new kit would have a pigtail for trucks with only one.

"Ken, called Chrysler they said they will not be offering a upgrade kit for trucks that are not equipped with the trailer-brake control. something to do with controller communication to truck? can shutdown vetch and cause a crash? I think they need to get their act together on this but he said they just put it on the back burner its not gonna happen."

He said liability was the overwhelming issue, so it sounds the company lawyers are calling the shots, not the technical product managers. Sounds like they simply want dealerships to stonewall customers. This makes no sense at all. They (Chrysler) don't seem too worried about customers installing aftermarket controllers.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

This is interesting....if the harness with both plugs is there, then it was simply a part not installed at the factory. If there is an issue with the controller being able to shut the entire system down and cause a crash, then this is one magical brake controller box..since the entire purpose of the brake controller is to proved voltage to the 7 pin connector and apply brakes to the trailer. I wonder how it could possibly feedback into the main system and shut it down...hmmm...interesting.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

After weeks of prodding my dealer to escalate the ITBCM Kit availability question at Chrysler, the service manager did get a reply from Chrysler Engineering via his area representative.

Chrysler Engineering would not go into exact details but they said they are not comfortable with the kit they are working on. It had something to do with wiring that could cause problems. They anticipate now that the kit will be available in Feb 2011.

For them not to release the ITBCM kit Chrysler is obviously concerned about something going wrong for those who have already installed the replacement ITCBM controller.

I suggest everyone who has purchased the controller replacement part contact their dealer service manager and try and dig out what exactly the problem is. I would hate for someone to have a problem while towing no matter how remote the possibility.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

I am pretty sure the "kit" addresses the fact that some trucks have 1 plug in the harness and some trucks have 2 plugs in the harness. I have no worries that a truck with two plugs can use the factory controller with no issues. Good info on your research, I am looking forward to more answers.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Doge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Crew Cab
Color: Inferno Red
NewDodgeMan is on a distinguished road

I am trying to connect the factory brake module but I only have one of the gray connectors under my dash. On the other had I can't find the connection for an after market module. The dealer is not helpful at all. They told me i can't install the factory module since it for replacement. I have the module and bezel but can't find the second wire. Is the connection for an aftermarket one the square gray plug that is just a jumper up the wiring harness?