DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Okay, so I have looked at e-bay intakes before. I figured the same thing, why not get a kit with everything included? Lets break down what one company (and most others that fit in this category)

Quote:
More air comes to the engine means more horsepower. You can expect an average increase of torque (6-12lbs/) and a 5-15 HP boost (results may vary), more power at your wheels when revving higher in your lower gears. You will definitely notice the deep intense roaring sound every time you touch your gas paddle!

So, get what your car deserves!

haha, okay... nice selling points..."more power at your wheels when revving higher in your lower gears"

This intake system comes bundled with:

1) 2 of 3" diameter T-306 heat-resisting Premium Quality Chrome Polished Aluminum Intake Tubes

Your throttle body is bigger than this... your stock system does not bottleneck this bad, why would you want an after-market one with smaller tubes? The tube is not thick walled either. I have held a few from people I know, the temperature properties are not what they describe.

2) Mounting hardware: Brand New Vacuum hose, Couplers and Clamps

So they charge you for a bright vacuum hose and the intake comes with a hole for it. In a DIY project, you can get rid of this, or make it more descrete than this. The couplers are band clamps too, very cheap. On my BFI, I have polished T-clamps which are extremely strong. In a DIY project, you can choose to use band, or t-clamps and the finish of them.

3) A ChromeINTAKES washable and reusable high-flow performance cone air filter

Oh sweet, a filter smaller than my fist! I have a spectre filter at home from someone else's ebay intake. I can fit that filter, inside of my BFI filter. In your case, you are getting a real K&N filter that you can take care of, not a cheap one included in these kits. And even for you, if you go offroading, I would never trust these filters that come in the kits. They are cheaply constructed.

4) Basic Installation Instructions & All Necessary Hardware will be included.

Again, like you need to pay for instructions and 10 cent grommets.

5) Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter will be included for vehicle which is required

wait, we have a MAF sensor? haha. I'm sure this is referring to other vehicles they offer an intake on, but I don't trust the fit and finish of the pipe and holes. Any small aluminum fragments entering the engine spells disaster. When you do one yourself, you control the precision.
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Eater View Post
What is this Hemi Hat and where is it? What does it look like? I have a CAI so does that mean mine is gone? Please help!

The Hemi Hat, as it is informally referred to as, is the plastic box on the top of the engine. You can see it here. The stock intake system utilizes this. The best way to describe it is this:

Air comes from outside, into the filter element, into the Hemi-Hat before entering the throttle body. That Hemi Hat allows the air to enter and "swirl" in that hat and then enter the Throttle Body. In the Hemi Hat, there are chambers where air enters and comes out of. This is referred to as the 'silencer' portion. The EGR tick you may hear is eliminated in here as well, but the airflow is massively impeded in this stage.

Here it is on the engine.

From the side.

Inside, where it is turbulent. This is from a 4.7 The 5.7 hat is the same, except there are chambers for air to enter.

This view is what it looks like with no hat.

On a hemi [click the link. Image is big and I dont want this page to be slow to load]
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/IMG_0252.jpg
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM

Here are the filter differences. Ebay (red) vs BFI (silver) The BFI comes with silver, black, red, etc.... This one is an old discolored one I dont use anymore.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...a/IMG_0686.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...a/IMG_0689.jpg
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42653
Here is my DIY intake. And you can pretty much use whatever filter you want. There is pics of other engines with the same pipe. I would love to have a BFI for mine, but unfortunately my truck is not new enough. , plus no funds for it
Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermbang View Post
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=42653
Here is my DIY intake. And you can pretty much use whatever filter you want. There is pics of other engines with the same pipe. I would love to have a BFI for mine, but unfortunately my truck is not new enough. , plus no funds for it
You did well thats for sure. A BFI might just fit though

A little blurry, but I adapted the AirHat as well.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Banned

wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Great. Anyone want to trade their BFI for my Black Mamba?
Is that your truck?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 AM

Yupper.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...a/IMG_0489.jpg
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
Any major mods to make it fit in there? Its so huge, does your truck lean a little?hehe
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermbang View Post
Any major mods to make it fit in there? Its so huge, does your truck lean a little?hehe
Mine is a Dakota, your Ram has substantially more room so it would fit. Mounting would need to be custom however.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT (QC/SB)
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:36
BLACK07 is on a distinguished road

I just put one on my 2007 4.7

it sounds amazing!

I went for just a simple 90 degree turn and straight out around where the stock air box was.

2007 Black Dodge Ram SLT QC/SB

DIY is the way to go!