DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DIY "Black Mamba" CAI

56K views 78 replies 36 participants last post by  Terry1974 
#1 ·
can this go here?
Directions for adding the "Black Mamba" to your 5.2 or 5.9. Other engines may not need the air hat.
Step1 - Remove old air pipe and hat. Pipe should just come off from fender and hat nothing to unbolt.

Step 2 – Mount the air hat that you have from donar vehicle (Dakota, Durango, Cadillac, or an old CAI) The one from a Dakata/Durango you will need to use the “S’ bolt that goes from the trottle body up through the hat. It will be a tight fit with the firewall right there but just maneaver it so it slides on or you can leave the bolt a little loose and angle it to get the hat on. It will eventually only be able go one way, towards the passenger side. With the hat from the Dakota I was able to attach that little pipe to it like stock, but other wise you can get a little filter at the auto parts store.

Step 3 - Attach the rubber coupler from the plumbing department to the hat with the suppled clamps.
Step 4 – Attach whatever filter you would like to the pipe you got in the electrical department, the Spectre filter I used covers from 2 ½ in up to 4 in pipes.

At this time you can figure a way to help support it. As you can see in my picture I just used a strap and bent it to fit, but I will be changing that soon to an electrical conduit holder mounted to my fender.

Step 5 – Attached the pipe to the rubber coupler on you air hat with the clamps supplied.
You’re done so far, unless you don’t want to paint.
For painting take all apart same way installed. Make sure since its plastic to use an adhesion promotor (?) when painting. Then reinstall per instructions above.
You can also make your own heatshield or just buy one of the universal ones. I will be buying one shortly has I don’t like me homemade one out of heating duct and thermal tape.

Caution... Black Mamba CAI will decrease mileage, annoy the wife, and put a big fat smile on your face.
Any questions just let me know, or if you have any suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bout time the DIY got posted! so many people have been asking for this haha, glad somebody stepped up. I typically build SRI's for various vehicles ranging from JDM integra's... up to high end M3's. Make a pretty penny off of it as well :) Not as hard as it seems for those who are cautious, I don't think you'd need much experience at all for this mod.

Just remember to rehook-up any hoses and or sensors that may have been attached, I know for us there is only 1, and it should go directly into the hat!

Good solid write up, will add reputation!

#3 ·
Yeah, I got tired of explaining my steps in posts about a homemade CAI. I had Yondaime ask for a step by step, so I was bored at work one day.

I will be adding more detailed photos shortly of the install. I am getting another pipe painted. Hopefully its done soon.
My wife's uncle is custom painting it. Yeah I know, I made a cheap CAI and getting it custom painting it, but it only cost me the paint, so why not.
I'm just going to take pictures then take it off, to save it for spring anyways.
Here is some photos of the pipe on other vehicles, hemi Durangos, 4.7L too.
Two pipes

Hemi Durango

4.7L Truck using the stock hat.

4.7L Durango sensor mount

#22 ·
You could use it, no filter inside and no need to cut since its in 2 pieces already (arm and hat), but you won't get the same flow. The Dakota/Durango are smaller and funnel it in better to the TB. There is a pic of a Hemi where he used the stock air hat with the pipe. Would be about the same as what you are talking about.

#30 ·
Hey I like all the designs for the intakes, I plan to use them to make my own cia for my 2001 sport with the 5.9 v8. I currently am getting poor mpg and hope that with this mod and a tune up that I will increase the mileage slightly. wondering if the dakota hat on the 5.9 will accept a tbspacer and what other intake hats will work in place of the stock 5.9 air box. Currently the only mod I've done is a glasspack to replace the stock muffler. Also thinking about adding a chip, do those cheap ones (24.99) on ebay work or are they a scam? Thanks for any info guys, I'll post some pics of my toy soon.

#33 ·
Just read this thread, good stuff!

Thinking about grabbing two hats and grafting them together to create a dual CAI set up. I really like the dual set up, sorta the way of the RamAir Box set up, but dont want to spend all that money.

Will let everyone know what I come up with. These boxes are just plastic correct? It should be easy to measure and measure a few more times, cut the boxes up, attach them together with some glue/epoxy/etc and then possibly use a heat gun and melt some of the plastic back to hold it together firmly.

Hmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.