DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Jasser is on a distinguished road
Default Passenger side Low Beam out, both High Beams work... Replaced bulbs, same.

Hey,

hopefully someone else on here has heard/fixed this before, and hopefully this hasn't been typed in another thread before... but...

Like the title says. Passenger Low Beam is not working. I switch to Hi Beams, they both work (driver-side and passenger-side). I went to Partsource and got 2 new bulbs figuring, "Hey, I might as well replace 'em both in case the other one dies too".

Put the new ones in, making sure not to touch the bulb itself, "click, click" done. Test the headlights, same. Passenger side Low is still out, Driver side Low works, and both Hi Beams work.

Where should I start to diagnose this before Ontario's Finest pull me over for a bum headlight?
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '06 Ram Quad Cab HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: FLAME RED
Rep:23
Sparky is on a distinguished road

You will have to have a volt meter. Than you can tell if you have no power to the socket, or no ground. then you will have to start following wires(not easy). You might have to take the socket off of the working light to use as a reference.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Stranger things have happened . Easy test here . You have the good bulb you took out of the left front . It is a good bulb . We know that . Plug that in the R/F and see if it works . I have seen brand new bulbs out of the box be defective . If the bulb from the L/F still doesn't work then we have a power or ground problem which you need a voltmeter . Let us know how you make out . If you still have a problem let us know and we''ll go to the next step . Tom
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bad ground or maybe a loose wire into the factory harness (i've seen it once before). Let us know what you find out with the voltmeter.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Shoot.. If it IS a loose wire or bad ground, is it complicated to fix?

Gonna look into a Voltmeter today and post my findings

You guys are awesome!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

yeah, that could be difficult to fix if it is a bad wire....you may have to replace the whole wire harness...but, it could just be a bad socket too...Like everybody else said, get a good volt meter...they can run from $20-$400(for the professional ones)...Check the socket if its reading the proper voltage while its still connected(should be about 12v) then its good...if not(may read OL, means no current flow/open circuit), take it off and check the ohms resistance, should not be higher than .04 ohms, or 400 millivolts(i believe), depending on what setting your meter is reading.... if it is, you got a bad socket that should be replaced, if its lower than its good...If its .05 or higher means you have an open circuit, and you got a bad wire somewhere, and you have to find out what one it is by testing them...Now remember, the VM has different settings for what you are testing, when your testing for how many volts the socket is getting, make sure its set on the volts setting and not ohms...ohms is only for checking the resistance, and if used improperly with blow the fuse in the meter...in the fluke meter($400), its a $20 fuse...

Last edited by CHILLZ HEMI; 10-14-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Could take hours to pinpoint the problem , but only minutes to fix it !
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

especailly if you have to check each wire...But, for some, when they realize its somewhere in the whole wire harness, they just get a new one....
Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold
Default light probs

Sorry to say never had this problem. I do agree with the faulty bulb new or not it happens. A good meter should help out alot. The things with wiring its usually easy to fix but it can be time consuming , hair pulling, good cursing but usually fixable by you.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

This is a looong one! OK, here's where I'm at with this darn headlight!

The passenger-side bulb gets power unless I turn the lights off, or when I turn ON the Low Beam (Headlight Knob turned all the way).

Both Low Beams work WHEN: I have the knob on the first setting and put it in gear. At which point, when I signal for a turn, the side that the turn signal is flashing, the headlight turns off. Once I turn off the turn signal, both low beams work.

Turn the headlight knob full on and the passenger side low-beam shuts off. No juice.

Wiring seams fine (had a mechanic bud look it over), Lowbeams work on the off or knob turned to the first setting.

All fuses are functional, I checked every single light to make sure there isn't a burnt out bulb causing the weirdness (using the Xmas Light line of thinking).

I did have a weird turn signal issue the day after I got it where the turn signal would remain on, then only work on the left no matter which way I set the signal lever. It stopped doing that glitch by the next day so I figured it fixed itself... Could this be a culprit?

I'm almost thinking the issue is at the switch or in the steering column, and or caused by an interference from the turn signal glitch...

Any ideas or past experience? I'm really hoping to be able to avoid bringing it to the dealership, even though they'd probably fix it quickly, they're gonna charge me out the @$$ for it. Conveniently enough, the Dodge Warranty on electrical expired before I started having these issues.