DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
theSir is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Ram 1500 help!

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram SLT extended cab 5.9L with ~104,000 miles. I currently owe $7,000 which I'm projected to pay off in 3 years. I know nothing of the internals of the vehicle and rely on my mechanic to perform any maintenance or repair work(Very Pathetic, I know!).

Over the past few months I've had some issues. Here are my issues with the quotes i have been provided to fix them...

1. Anti-lock break system has gone out ($2,000)
2. Hearter Core leak ($800-$1100)
3. New Tires ($800)

I'm not concerned with fixing the anti-lock break system but need to fix the core leak and get new tires. My biggest concern is that I'm going to continue to run into issues. I use the truck only as a means of transportation around the city.

1.What types of issues should I be expecting to see now that the truck has gone over 100,000 miles?

2.Should I fix these issues and ride out the rest of my loan? Or is this a bad sign and I need to cut my losses, trade in the truck, and find a better one ? If I trade in the truck it looks like I could get $4,000 - $6,000 what are the chances the dealership will find these issues? How will my trade-in be impacted if they are found?

Any feedback about similar experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSir View Post
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram SLT extended cab 5.9L with ~104,000 miles. I currently owe $7,000 which I'm projected to pay off in 3 years. I know nothing of the internals of the vehicle and rely on my mechanic to perform any maintenance or repair work(Very Pathetic, I know!).

Over the past few months I've had some issues. Here are my issues with the quotes i have been provided to fix them...

1. Anti-lock break system has gone out ($2,000)
2. Hearter Core leak ($800-$1100)
3. New Tires ($800)

I'm not concerned with fixing the anti-lock break system but need to fix the core leak and get new tires. My biggest concern is that I'm going to continue to run into issues. I use the truck only as a means of transportation around the city.

1.What types of issues should I be expecting to see now that the truck has gone over 100,000 miles?

2.Should I fix these issues and ride out the rest of my loan? Or is this a bad sign and I need to cut my losses, trade in the truck, and find a better one ? If I trade in the truck it looks like I could get $4,000 - $6,000 what are the chances the dealership will find these issues? How will my trade-in be impacted if they are found?

Any feedback about similar experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Hey there, I'm an owner of a 98 5.9 with 117k on the clock, and all I have heard of is 1.Tranny issues and 2. Sporadic idling. I experienced a mild tranny issue, but all that was needed was a flush and filter.

I also have the sporadic idling, only when it is cold it will be quite lopey and rough, but when it's warm, it'll be totally fine. Seems like its nothing to worry about!

I think you just had to clean up what the old owner didn't. I think it'll be fine! Hope you keep it!

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Rep:209
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

heater core I hear is a common problem...though, I only think I've used the heat in my truck once or twice...so...mines not a problem...lol

Also, people say the trannies go...but, I was told by a big wig engineer from Chrysler (you meet cool people at carlisle)...that, the problem is, people tow with the overdrive on. As long as you tow with the OD off, you won't have an issue.

And...may I ask...what kind of tires are you buying for $800? I hope they're nice ones...lol

also...I'd keep the truck, pay it off and get your use out of it. It'll last you a long time, just keep up on it, and, if you decided to trade it, you'd take a huge loss. So, either sell it outright, or keep it would be my two choices.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Tires , check out www.tirerack.com . Will deliver to you're doorstep . Then you just have to pay to have them mounted and balanced . Good way of price comparing . Heater core , that sounds about right . The whole dash has to be removed . A good day to day and a half job . I've done mine . If you're going that far , you should consider doing the a/c evaporator core also . A little more money but I would rather do it now than having to do the whole job again in several months from now . The factory heater and a/c cores were notorious for not lasting .
Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

theSir is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tire link. This is a great place to start my price comparisons. The only other issues i've heard about are plenum gasket and the crack heads? Does anyone know how major of a repair those are? Thank you for the info!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Plenum gasket is basically a intake manifold reseal . You reseal the whole manifold including this plate . It's a bolt in plate . I have a intake here that I can take some pics of to show everyone , but it's gonna take me a bit to get it dug out of my scrap pile . I was gonna do this several weeks ago . I would also recommend using some loctite on the bolts . Will try to take pics . Haven't heard anything about cracking heads .
Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
ramtastic is on a distinguished road

Tire rack is a great site. I bought a wheel/tire package from them a couple years ago. Great price and excellent service. The total package was $750 delivered, ready to mount. After I bent one of my wheels in a pothole I called them to look for a replacement. The wheel was discontinued but the service rep took a bit of time double-checking his stock and the scratch & dent area in case they had a cast-off left from before the manufacturer discontinued the wheel. He couldn't find one but pointed me toward some web forums to look for help. I will absolutely buy from them again.

Quote:
I also have the sporadic idling, only when it is cold it will be quite lopey and rough, but when it's warm, it'll be totally fine. Seems like its nothing to worry about!
Look at the Throttle Position Sensor - $88 from Dodge dealer or $35 @ Auto Zone. I just changed mine and the cold weather sporadic idle went away.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Don't know where you live, but here in Florida or another warm climate, you could just bypass the heater core until $$$/time are more abundant.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road

As far as tires go craigslist is a sweet spot for decent tires for cheap (at least here in MO), and i agree with the heater core bypass if you can, as far as the abs problem goes its prolly just a wheel speed sensor on your hub, but could be water in the rear diff (from what ive heard).... but your best investment would be a chilton or haynes manual. The truck is fairly easy to work on and the books are a huge help.