DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:15
Eng0270 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone use Auto-Rx to clear sludge? 4.7 engine

New to site (this week) ... posted in newbie section about my sludge issue. Dealer says i have sludge and will not assist w/ repairs w/ a tap i developed. (70500 miles) I've been researching on how to clear out the sludge.

I've heard put a qt of tranny fluid in let the engine till it get hot then change out oil.

Came across this stuff called Auto-Rx and claims to clean out sludge. Always been skeptical of the miracles in a can though. www.Auto-Rx.com

Anyone ever had success (or catastrophic failure) w/ either application?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
erm

I had an old Chevrolet full size K5 Blazer with over 100K miles on it. I knew it was sludged up after inspecting under the valve covers and at the oil pan. Did a bit of research and tried Seafoam Engine Cleaner. It worked great! About 20K miles later when I completely tore down the engine, I was amazed at how clean it was.

Here's a link to the product.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html
Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:15
Eng0270 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I had an old Chevrolet full size K5 Blazer with over 100K miles on it. I knew it was sludged up after inspecting under the valve covers and at the oil pan. Did a bit of research and tried Seafoam Engine Cleaner. It worked great! About 20K miles later when I completely tore down the engine, I was amazed at how clean it was.

Here's a link to the product.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

I did see this product as well .. thanks for your input ... I'll check out the website
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Never heard of it . Have heard of Seafoam from coworkers . They swear by it . Just make sure during the cleaning process that the sludge doesn't clog up your pickup tube or there will be alot of sadness in someones life . Best way is to keep changing out the oil and filter during this process .
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Deluxe
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
c3po is on a distinguished road

Anyone who is interested in using auto-rx might want to GOOGLE a thread that was on BITOG called 3 ARX cycles, didn't do much, bummer..

This product will not clean up anything in your Valvetrain, it does not work well with splash lubrication. It also will not remove Varnish, since many engines are made out of ALUMINUM, this product does not remove anything off aluminum cylinder heads or aluminum blocks.

Auto-Rx will claim that it can recondition seals and stop oil leaks, but when it does not the owner of arx claims that you probably have a ripped or torn seal. If your seal is hard as a rock nothing is gonna bring it back to life. You will have better luck with a HM oil.

Auto-Rx will claim that it can stop oil burning, but when it does not they claim that you have mechanical problems. This product once had a money back guarantee, but a few monts ago THEY GOT RID OF THERE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. That should tell you that the product is worthless in your engine.

The only reason this product was discussed on BITOG was that from 2002 up until January of 2009 they were a site sponsor on BITOG, they are no longer a sponsor because 99% of the members on Bitog who tried auto-rx did not get any results. The owner of auto-rx used Paid Posters on Bitog to push his product. You can GOOGLE a thread called PAID POSTERS FOR AUTO-RX. Another thread to Google is ARX & Aluminum Engines.

I know that when someone has a dirty engine or other problems they look to oil additives to clean up there engines, now there has been success with Seafoam, its not that expensive and it has been around for a long time. Auto-Rx has been around for about 12 years and many members have found that HM oil's, and other oil's like Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 do some cleaning. Auto-Rx costs $28.00 a bottle, it is an Overpriced Underperformer. If you call auto-rx up the owner will answer the phone and make every promise in the book, but once he has your money and you call him back because the product does not work, he will claim that you did something wrong. If this were a really good product it would be sold in auto parts stores.

At this time the owner of auto-rx wants to sell his product for about a million dollars, its probably worth about $500.00, and thats on the high side. Last year auto-rx only picked up 18 new customers, not good, since 99.9% of auto-rx customers are onetime customers.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

I have relied on Seafoam for decades.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Switch to Penzoil Ultra synthetic oil. The Platinum is almost as good. Tore my hemi down at 190,000 miles to put a hotter cam in , and my mechanic said he'd never seen a cleaner motor, except the 275,000 mile hemi in my Magnum. BTW 15,000 mile oil changes and Fram XG16 filters. I'd try it at 5,000 mile changes at first till your 4.7 is cleaned out. Then you can go longer. I use Blackstone Labs and test. My oil at 15,000 miles, the oil is still amber, not black. It's gonna take a while, you may not want the expensive XG16 filter for the first change, it's made for 15,000 mile changes, but I'd try it anyway as it filters so well.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW

Last edited by hydrex; 08-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Vehicle: 2010 R/T RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: BLUE
Rep:274
will36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the rough

seafom is the stuff!

I have also drained the oil put the plug back in and add a gallon of kerosene and a quart of 50 wt oil. Crank the car do not give it any gas let it run while watching the oil light. If it blinks shut it off.

I would let them run 5 mins or so and drain it out. put on a new filter and fill it up with oil. change it again @ 1000 miles.

That being said this will loosen everything up. Its extreme.

I would try the sea foam first. Change the oil and filter. Then change out the filter every 1500 miles leaving the oil in the pan. Then add a quart of oil and sea foam to whats left in the pan. Check the oil on the first filter change if its nasty change it out.

It should be clean in 2 or 3 filter changes.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Auto Rx? By their own admission, in the brief 12 years of existence, they have changed the formulation 4 times. They must know something about their product deficiency or failure that the public does not. Anything that advertises itself as being good for engines, transmissions, turbos and constipation should be viewed with skepticism.

Last edited by skytop; 08-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Go with the seafoam. It works. It may not scrub every last surface clean, but you will see a huge difference.