Who would like to see aluminum body Rams ? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
View Poll Results: Who would like to see Rams in aluminum bodys ?
YES, MAKES SENSE 21 32.81%
NO, I'M OLD AND CRUSTY 43 67.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Trim Level: EXPRESS
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:23
BIGTEXHOWDY is on a distinguished road
Default Who would like to see aluminum body Rams ?

I'm just askin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2964
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Aluminum Bodies are for sports vehicles

Have you seen the Ford 150 that went through a car wash with the spinning brushes
there was enough downwards pressure that the antenna on the fender was pushed right through the aluminum
http://www.*****************/article...f-150-antenna/
http://www.motortrend.com/news/drive...ew-ford-f-150/

When my Ram was getting my bumpers changed over to a different style at a body shop
A 2016 Ford F-250 Construction Service Vehicle came in because it had a damaged side panel on the bed.
The body shop replaced the side panel, painted it & sent it back to the happy customer

I went back to the body shop 2 months later to get an estimate on a touch up paint job on my other Ram.
That same Ford-250 was back in the body shop, the weight of the service equipment, compressor, welder, etc. had caused the whole bed to crack down the middle.

Only well equipped body shops can work with aluminum, Ford has to send anything with an aluminum body out to be repaired & those well equipped shops charge dearly to work on the aluminum repairs

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-12-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2016 ram rebel
Trim Level: Rebel
Color: Red
Rep:10
ackred is on a distinguished road

Really unsure and that is not a choice. Happy with my steel body. I don't see the bed holding up to denting real well with an aluminum floor but I suppose a piece of plywood and a bed mat would cure that. But then you are adding weight again. Saw a post somewhere about a Ford going through a carwash and the antenna ripping out and causing $6,000 damage to the side of the aluminum body, that is not particularly attractive. Like the idea of no rust but then again my '96 is rust free although it is garaged every night. What do you think the gas mileage increase might be? In addition aluminum body work is pretty pricy.

GTyankee beat me to it.

Last edited by ackred; 02-12-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
MacRam is on a distinguished road

I am not sold on the aluminum body. I see Ram going to more aluminum body parts but not the bed. I think the jury is still out on the Ford. I would like to see the trucks in a few years, see how the paint holds up as well as the body, yes no rust but the still corrode. See how insurance costs on the Fords are as well as more expensive to repair.
Love my Ram.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Trim Level: EXPRESS
Rep:23
BIGTEXHOWDY is on a distinguished road

I would love to see my reg cab 5.7 hemi in aluminum body as it is a sport truck. It would break 0-60 in 5 seconds
Old 02-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2964
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The whole reason that Ford went to the Aluminum body was because all pickup truck manufacturers made an agreement to comply with the same Standards when rating their published Tow/Haul amounts

Dodge engineers actually under rated the Rams
GM was pretty much close
Ford made outlandish claims & every year they won awards that they didn't not deserve

Then all manufacturers agreed to set a Standard
They agreed upon rules for the new Standard called SAE J2807

Ford could not meet the new Standard unless they some how lost about 600 pounds of weight, so they went to the aluminum body & lost 700+ pounds

http://articles.sae.org/13365/

the actual Standard

http://standards.sae.org/j2807_201205/

Last edited by GTyankee; 02-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the link GT.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:883
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

I'm not as old as many of you, but apparently I am just as crusty.

When I returned from deployment last Summer there was a dent in my tailgate that my wife claimed to know nothing about (riiiight ).

Obviously that was unsat, so I called the PDR guy and had him come out the first weekend I was home. He drove a Ford 6.0 (said its a good motor once you do all the upgrades...I didn't get into how that's exactly the reason its not a good motor since he was fixing my truck) so we got to talkin' about the new Fords and what its like to repair them. He said that steel is easy to work with because it has memory so you are just popping the metal out to where it was prior to the dent. Aluminum has no memory so he basically has to reshape the metal, requiring much more work, so he charges 50%-75% more depending on the location of the dent to fix it.

Mine got fixed good as new:

Body work is much more expensive on aluminum so I think a lot more work trucks that would otherwise get fixed will be driving around with more severe than usual body damage because the cost/benefit would require more to justify.

Also, while tow cap/payload are increased, it does not necessarily make the new Fords (or aluminum body vehicles) better tow vehicles. Take an 8,000lb trailer and tow it with a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton-both gassers with the same engine-and see which does it better. The weight is well within the capacity of any 3/4 ton and almost any 1/2 ton, but the 3/4 ton will be much more controlled and easier to tow with because it has more weight so it does not get pushed around as easily by the trailer.

Also, they say "military grade" which, I think everyone who has ever served knows is just a marketing ploy to appeal to people who don't realize that very often service members buy their own stuff to use instead of issued gear because there is better stuff available on the civilian market. Basically, both 6000 and 7000 series aluminum are both "military grade" and are used in various applications. 6000 series is much cheaper, can be welded, and is much softer so tooling cuts it like butter; but its also not as tough. 7000 series cannot be welded (except certain subgrades by non conventional and expensive means) but is much tougher and harder. If you are into AR-15s you will know that the higher quality receivers are made from 7000 series aluminum and are more expensive as they are regarded as better. Ford uses 6000 series aluminum in their trucks.

I do think it would be cool if they used hard anodized aluminum for the body panels instead of painting them-but it would add expense and look unconventional compared to normal paint so a lot of people probably wouldn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
The whole reason that Ford went to the Aluminum body was because all pickup truck manufacturers made an agreement to comply with the same Standards when rating their published Tow/Haul amounts

Dodge engineers actually under rated the Rams
GM was pretty much close
Ford made outlandish claims & every year they won awards that they didn't not deserve

Then all manufacturers agreed to set a Standard
They agreed upon rules for the new Standard called SAE J2807

Ford could not meet the new Standard unless they some how lost about 600 pounds of weight, so they went to the aluminum body & lost 700+ pounds

http://articles.sae.org/13365/

the actual Standard

http://standards.sae.org/j2807_201205/
Yeah the amount of weight Ford lost was greater than the gain in towing/payload which indicates they were overrated before the J2807 standard was adhered to by all manufacturers. Ram's went up compared to the pre-J2807 ratings.

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Rep:883
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

Also, why you don't take a Ford through a car wash:

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 02-12-2017, 08:13 PM

Lots of old Land Rovers around locally, they were a common vehicle for beach use back in the day. Bodies were aluminum. Damage to the front end was usually repaired with new panels and dents on non bolt on panels sometimes got repaired. It was explained to me years ago by a body guy that the aluminum stretches when hit making it hard to repair. Between the stretching and lack of memory, discussed by Thunderhorse, makes it difficult to repair. Will be interesting to see how that is reflected in insurance rates.

Interesting, to me anyway, the bodies on the Rovers didn't rust but the frames would rust out over time. The British military versions had galvanized frames I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement