DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
michicks is on a distinguished road
Default Starting to plan out my Mods, guidance would be nice

Have only been here a few days and I'm convinced I need mods. Also thanks to the guys who helped me trouble shoot my check engine light its still off.

I'm at 167k on my 02' ram with a 360 and I'm starting to use a little oil, I'm hoping to push off a rebuild until Christmas or a little after. I don't think I'll tackle the rebuild myself but if I have a friend do it I will get to help. More than likely I'll just take it to a mechanic we use quite a bit.

I'd like to know what engine mods that can be done while the engine is getting rebuilt.

I've decided I'll had a cold air intake and chip it.

Headers and a new exhaust are a strong possibility as well, however as odd as it might sound especially for a 24 y/o, I do not like loud pipes so I'm not sure how to go about a new exhaust system.

As much as I'd like to go out and smoke some mustangs my biggest concern will be mpg. I average 13.5 mpg and I'd really like to try and push 16 if at all possible, I average about 30k a year and well as we all know is kinda expensive.

I'll be putting money back for the rebuild and engine work first, then work my way down the list.
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

While you have the engine apart you could add some ported/polished cylinder heads which let the engine breathe better (+MPG); a higher lobe camshaft for more valve travel; upgrade the valve springs. Just a few ideas. Most of those can be done without tearing the engine apart entierly, so maybe tom could pipe in with other ideas.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
dirtsurferus is on a distinguished road

wow you must be city driving. I'm averaging 15.8-16.2 depending on how many busses i get behind and i go 20 miles highway and 20 miles city one way everyday. I have single cab reg bed though. um i have headers, intake, sp wires, (make sure you stick with copper plugs), 180* thermostat, and accel super coil. programmer is on the way! after the programmer i think that i should be pushing a consistent 17-22mpg with the economy setting and maybe 16-19 with the performance? idk for sure though. O i also switched to full synthetic Royal Purple 5W-30 motor oil and here in a week or 2 when i do my front and rear diff servicing i am going to drain and replace the gear oil with Synthetic Royal Purple as well. should help a little. I am running on off road mudding tires though...33".
Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
michicks is on a distinguished road

I'd say 80% of my driving is highway/interstate, best I can get is 15mpg if I run 65 mph with premium fuel. I do have a quad cab 4x4 as well so that might be some of the problem. Its time to change the plugs again I'll make sure I get copper. I've also got to change drivers side upper ball joint and hope that is all that needs to be changed.

O what I would give for 18mpg
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Not sure you need to rebuild your engine . Have someone take off your air cleaner at the throttle body . Key off , open up the throttle plaate and look into the bottom of the manifold . See if there isn't oil puddling . If it is you have a intake manifold gasket going bad . Common on the 5.2 and 5.9s . Once the intake is pulled , flip it over , there is a plate with (approx 15 bolts ) on the bottom . That gasket is notorious for going bad and sucking oil from your motor . Until you get it fixed keep an eye on your oil level or else . Headers would be a definite plus . Looking at long tube or shorty headers ? Any questions feel free to ask or pm me . Talk to ya soon . Tom
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red/silver
dirtsurferus is on a distinguished road

when thinking about long or short tube keep in mind that most long tube will not pass emissions. at least that's what i heard. my state doesn't care lol
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

^^ True, but neither does my province. We're ruining the environment with our oil anyways!