DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default System upgrade

Hi all,

I just bought my son a 2007 SXT regular cab 1500. Really nice truck, but It has a stock stereo in it and I know he wants a new stereo system. So I am here to get some ideas for christmas.

His basic requirement is playing his IPOD and that it sound really good. Should have the cool factor so the boys dont give a hard time, lol.

So I have some basic questions that I hope someone here can help me with. First I know his current stereo has two speakers in the doors and two behind the seats in the wall and stock head unit. Openings in the dash for some speakers as well, but they are not there.

So If I was to replace the whole system, speaker wise what should I get? Wattage, Channels... crossovers, amps, etc.... I was thinking adding tweeters to the dash openings, speakers in the Doors and a Sub befind the seats. But what do I need, regardless of the head unit we decided on.

I should say, I want to do this on a small budget. Doesnt have to be the best, just looking for good sound, nice bump for a 16 yr old.

I appreciate any help and advice ya'll can give.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Two questions before I recommend anything.....

1: What type of music does he listen to?
2: What is the budget?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Thanks... to answer you questions...

#1. Rock and Some Country
#2 Budget.... $500

Jim
Old 10-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Sport Package
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
blownengine is on a distinguished road

For $500 your looking at a good head unit, good door speakers, and dash tweeters.

A subwoofer, amp, box, and wiring kit will run close to another $500.

If $500 is all you have to work with then i would recommend a 2 channel amp and component speakers in the two doors along with the head unit and tweeters
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Did the stock head unit not come with an AUX input? My 2008 did. You may be able to pick up the stock one with AUX input for pretty cheap. That would help save some money and not have to buy a wiring adapter.

Then you would have extra cash for an amp, a set of components, and one sub.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Chit,

Yes it did come with an AUX. So maybe we deal with the HU for a while and upgrade everything else.

What would you suggest for an upgrade in Componants, AMP and SUB. Maybe with an eye to upgrade the HU in the future...

I am a novice at this... no just enough to be dangerous, so I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

jim
Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 PM

chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Well with a $500 budget you have a few options. eBay is always your friend, just make sure to purchase new with a reputable seller and not used. A regular cab truck I would recommend at least 6.5" components (Pioneer TS-D720C are recommended by quite a few $118 on eBay) a good solid 4-channel amp pushing at least 100 watts RMS to each channel would be nice(MB Quart DSC4125 for $139 on eBay). If you bridge the back two channels that should give you around 500 watts RMS, which would push a 12" sub decently (JBL P1222 will slam and not bad at $135 on eBay). Would even have money left over for some sound deadener in the front doors (which I HIGHLY recommend).

Those are just quick options searched for off the top of my head, there are tons more out there of course. I'd like some others to chime in as well, that's the best way to get ideas. But those I listed gives you an example of a very nice budget build.

Oh forgot to add that you will need a Line Out Converter or LOC to the speaker wires in order to get RCA cables to plug into an amp.

Last edited by chithead; 10-21-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 PM
erm

For component speakers, and some 3.5" tweeters for the dash, I would recommend the Infinity Kappa Series speakers. 3.5" tweeters in the dash, mid-bass for the doors.

I agree with Daniel's choice of a 4CH amp. Get the LOC as you'll need it to run the speakers off the amp. Go with the stock head unit for now and later you could upgrade it. With the addition of the amp, you won't need to rely on the head unit power to drive the speakers.

I like Alpine Type S subs and amps. A Type S SWS-1042D sub would cost about $70, the Type S M-500 amp around $150 and for a single 10" enclosure, Sub Zero makes some excellent products at a great price.

Good luck with the project!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Alpine does make some excellent products. I concur on the Type S subs
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the help! This wiill get me started. When we get closer I will update everyone on the path we took.

Thanks,

Jim