DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 MegaCab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Phrede is on a distinguished road
Default Bagged and Slammed?

Please be gentle, I'm a newbie.

I am hauling my elderly parents around and need something with EZ access, good ride and 4/A WD. I also have a few medical problems with a need for EZ access and good ride.

My thoughts are to get a Mega cab and replace the suspension with one of the air type suspension kits that are available. As long as I use the biggest diameter bags I can it seems reasonable to get a good ride, right? I don't haul or tow as much as I used to but the occasion still happens. I now own a 16' trailer so the short bed is not a concern. I have to eat crow since I always said I would never buy anything but an 8ft bed. Never say never!

Just straight up lowering, or should I say straight down, has me concerned about ride quality, load capacity and steering geometry.

Has anyone here heard of or done such a thing? Have I totally lost my mind?

How does the Mega Cab compare to the new F-150 or a Dodge Crew Cab? Would not a Mega cab lowered be about the easiest thing with 4/A WD around to get in and out of?

I just missed out on an '06 1500 Laramie with 50k miles this morning. It seems these trucks are hard to find. I am also pondering whether to go 1500 or 2500. The suspension would not matter but I don't know what other differences there were from '06-'08. I remember thinking after I bought my '99 1500 that I probably should have gone to a 2500.

I could get a new truck but would prefer a used one with less than 50k miles on it.

I look forward to hearing every ones opinion. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

does it have to be 4wd? That complicates lowering it to a slammed height....even bagged, they just are SO tall OEM. If I had to do it again I'd do an 02-05 2wd 2500 cummins..... its still hard to slam but it'd have 2wd goin for it.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:20
bigjeff64 is on a distinguished road

Heres the deal!! Airbags do make an awesome ride and give a great stance to the truck when on the ground. In ur case it would be low enough for u and ur folks to easily manuver. The downside here would be the occasional towing. I dont think that any company would recommend a full bag setup and still have the ability to tow. Now there are alternatives like bagged helper springs!! these will lower the truck and still give towing ability the ? is will it drop enough for u to get in and out. Finally my recommendation, I think that doing a straight lowering would be best but u will need to get some helper springs for the towing. Get a decent kit from belltech mcgnaulty's or djm. If ur gonna spend the $$$ for it do it right and get the lower control arms for the front (NOT KNOCKING THE SPINDLES) FOR THE OTHER GUYS HERE!! I hope this helps
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Good information . Never bagged or lowered anything myself so I too would be looking for guidance on this one .
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say check out a custon suspension shop near you. They can fab up nearly any drop for a truck, the mega cabs included, thought they're a bit more expensive. I've seen slammed 3500s that still tow 32' trailers, so it can be done...

Getting a 2WD will make your life a LOT easier in trying to bag it guaranteed, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done with a 4x4, I just then wonder about getting it right down and the transfer case being in the way. I know you can do a 2/4 drop on a 4x4 from ground force, but that doesn't get you as low as you want. Greg's idea of the 2500 cummins is what I wish I could do too, so maybe there's some merit to that idea.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 10 VW GTI
Trim Level: 1500 express
Color: Dark cherry
Rep:98
09Hemi will become famous soon enough

Bagging a truck wont kill your ride it makes it better if you do it right. I have a bagged S10 and i know. however 4 wheel drive wont be happening if you want a full bagged setup... well it can happen but it will cost you. as far as towing... the best i could suggest on that is find some big azz bags. they make bags on semis that haul loaders and other heavy equipment its just finding the right bag and setup. but for a fully functioning laying the truck down to get in and out i would not use the heavy duty bags or tow on basic bags. the most that the bags are rated to that minitruckers use is about 2800Lbs (we thrash those bags and they hold up) But in my personal opinion if you have a bagged truck don't tow things because you never know what kinda pressure it would be putting on the bags. I dont know of anyone who has a bagged truck and hauls a trailer.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

Bagged trucks can tow, Ekstnsive in Texas does bagged tow vehicles pretty regularly. We did have an 02 chevy 1500 bagged that hauled my old show car on a flat bed trailer. The deal w/ bags as the ones above stated, it is IF a problem will arise, its WHEN...and towing makes the when more likely to be sooner than later. If you dont need 4wd, avoid it, 2wd cummins will out tow any 4wd gas motor truck....so if towing is the need get a diesel 2wd, do a 2/4 drop kit from a company, and then find someone to go from there to get it lower.. My 2 year old can climb in my 4/6 dropped 1500...its low... but to get a bigger truck that height would be 6/8 maybe even 8/10 dropped.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 MegaCab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Phrede is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.

Even though it probably never be off road, 4WD is needed. We get some snow here and my 2WD 1500 is useless in snow, or wet grass, when empty. I'm sure the OEM tires have something to do with it.

I don't need a "spark thrower" so maybe slammed is overstated. All I need is for the truck to squat when not moving.

is something I found after posting this evening. It's a 2500 Cummins. Which I don't need. I guess I need to keep searching to see what low on a 4X4 really is.

I was not aware of the problem with towing. This site advertises it http://www.talon-usa.com/
I was think about a multi link rear similar to the new factory coil rears.

I don't know if lowered only will give the ride. I may be incorrectly influenced by my lowered sport sedan that I did before I screwed up my back. It runs low, hard and tight. It sure is tough to equate to such a subjective thing.

C'mon with the opinions.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 10 VW GTI
Trim Level: 1500 express
Color: Dark cherry
Rep:98
09Hemi will become famous soon enough

Well a lowered suspension depends on the parts as far as the ride quality goes. cheap, comfy, durable, pick two. pretty much. but your on the right track as the airbags go. thats about the kinda bag you would need.