DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-22-2009, 12:53 AM
erm

Default I've Decided What To Do - Planned Mods

I briefly considered selling or trading in my low mileage (37K miles) '99 SLT RAM but then, I thought that didn't make a lot of sense. Why take on a new payment? I just wanted more power, more height, more of everything.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with this truck that a few mods won't fix. And I do prefer the older style RAM body style to the newer ones. No offense to you newer RAM owners.

So, I've spent some time the past week doing some parts research via the web and a few hardcore MOPAR buddys of mine. Here's my planned mods list:

1. Ram Sport front bumper/fascia conversion with foglights, body colored grill shell and black mesh grill.

2. Steel 3" cowl hood.

3. Rear steel roll pan with hidden hitch and license plate flip kit.

4. HID headlight conversion.

5. Badge and molding removal.

6. Spray in bed lining.

7. Westin bull bar, skid plate, PIAA 4" driving lights.

8. 5" Superlift lift kit.

9. 35" Toyo MT tires.

10. Wheels (TBD)

11. 408 stroker motor, based on the 360 Magnum LA block.

12. GearZ...

And last, but not least, new paint.

I'm probably crazy.

So, pray for me folks. This is gonna be quite the build, it won't be cheap (but cheaper than a new truck) and my wife WILL NOT UNDERSTAND!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by erm; 11-03-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Dude, that sounds AWESOME and unique out of its mind! Are you going to go through with it!?

I SUPPORT YOU IF YOU DO!

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Do it Michael! Why sell away a perfectly good truck when you can make it bigger, faster, stronger... and exactely how you want it to look. Quick one, does the bull bar fit the sport bumper? I thought that a few makes didn't. I'm in 100% support of the build and would love to see it finished or at least in progress...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 AM

98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Sell that old engine aswell, with 37k youll sell it damn near instantly! If I had the cash I'd take it off your hands Lol.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 AM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sst View Post
Dude, that sounds AWESOME and unique out of its mind! Are you going to go through with it!?

I SUPPORT YOU IF YOU DO!
Yes, I am going through with it. I've got more research to do on my engine / trans options, gears, induction/fuel delivery, etc... but it's gonna be a big block for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Do it Michael! Why sell away a perfectly good truck when you can make it bigger, faster, stronger... and exactely how you want it to look. Quick one, does the bull bar fit the sport bumper? I thought that a few makes didn't. I'm in 100% support of the build and would love to see it finished or at least in progress...
Exactly my reasoning, my friend. The bull bar will fit if I don't use the lower spoiler and extend it a bit forward so I don't have to cut the fascia, which I'd prefer not to do unless I absolutely have to. That's another area of research I need to finalize but based on the measurements I have, it should work just fine.

Not to worry, I'll be documenting the build, both in pictures and written documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sst View Post
Sell that old engine aswell, with 37k youll sell it damn near instantly! If I had the cash I'd take it off your hands Lol.
The old engine, possibly the trans if I replace that, the stock hood, front and rear bumper will all go on the market. I'll have no use for the 5.2L in any event.

Well, time to get on with the research, then purchase the body and suspension parts this Winter. If things go as planned, I'll do the suspension and body stuff first during the Spring and Summer next year. Gotta figure out what wheels spec to run given lift and tire size I end up with.

I'll need the truck to be running this Winter and next. Then, it'll be time to tackle the powertrain.

Oh, I've already added to my list...LOL

Twin whip CB antenna, Cobra remote/mic controlled CB with sideband and a ProTec truck box.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 AM

Lol whenever you get an idea, just add it on here! it'll be the most B.A. mod list around.

I'm so intrigued by the selection of engine. I thought you were just going to supercharge the 5.2 or something but then I witnessed *440* And the lights began to brighten around me as a tear ran down my face Lol.

That is AWESOME

Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 AM
erm

I really like the idea of a 440/727 powertrain. It will take a bit more skull sweat and research to get computer controls and fuel management to work with that combo but I know who to call about that.

But if I can find a wrecked 300, Magnum or Charger SRT with the 6.1L, PCM and autostick trans; it makes the engine swap and engine control computer work much easier. And I can tune it easily enough with a Predator and a CMR tune on a dyno. Fast, efficient, computer controlled and built for a supercharger somewhere down the road. I have a good source for the forged stroker kit to take it from 6.1L/372 cu in to 6.4L/372 cu in but stroking and forging the HEMI will allow forced induction to be added later.

All I gotta do is figure out whether or not the engine will fit in the truck. But guess what...I have a 300C SRT8 in my garage so guess I won't have a problem getting measurements.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 AM

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1432169587.html how do ya like them apples. Lol.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 AM

I know your not in the market, but dang thats a good deal! Also it's in kent... within a half mile radius of me. which is within 500 miles of you if your willing to travel.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:41 AM
erm

that's one hell of a buy!

That's exactly what I'm in the market for...next Winter..LOL