DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1989 Holden Astra
Color: White
Rep:25
SilverFire is on a distinguished road
Default 08 conversion time!

Well, it's time to start my mod list, and as suggested, I'm going to do my engine first.

So, I'm going to start accumulating the parts to do the 08 engine conversion.

Has anyone done this before me? I'm trying to figure out everything I'll need, and here's what I've come up with so far:

Heads

ECU

Intake (going for a CAI)

Throttle body

IAC

Ignition system (I'm probably going to go for an MDS high performance ignition system if they make one with the coil overs)

Is there anything I'm missing? Will I have to redo the crank/pistons, or will they be fine?

Also, while I'm at it, should I look into a high flow radiator, since I will (down the road) be modding the engine as well?
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3283
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Good list, just a few things I'd point out:

A TBS will be useless on the HEMI, it doesn't make any real difference because of how long out intake is. Unless hyou're plannign to run nitrous, it's a waste.

Also, how much are you willing to spend on the ignitions system? The full MSD ignition with controllers can get REALLY expensive. If you want to upgrade coils, wires, and plugs, then modify the tune with a predator (and camshaft) you'd end up with a comparable ignition. Unless you're planning on changing to ported injectors and putting a stroker kit with new pistons I think the full kit could be overkill.

How far are you willing to rip into the engine block?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM

I'm not going to a Hemi, staying with the 4.7L, just going for the higher power heads available in the 08.

Not going to be using a spacer (waste of money), but am instead thinking of a custom throttle body, with a variable opening valve, depending on the tune loaded.

I'd rather go with the MSD kit, simply because I can rely on it once I start going forced induction/nitrous, if I go that route.

I do plan on going for larger injectors, and stroking it out, maybe boring as well, just gotta see what the bottom end is capable of.

The one draw back I'm working on is the camshaft...nobody makes them for the 4.7L, so I will end up spending a LOT more on that than I had origionally planned on.

Edit:

I'm actually thinking of buying this engine to build up and just drop in when I'm done, just for the simple reason of it being DOHC.

http://flitelineenginesupply.com/ind...products_id=31

Last edited by SilverFire; 10-06-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a pretty good following of aftermarket parts for the DOHC 4.7?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Is there a pretty good following of aftermarket parts for the DOHC 4.7?
Not really, most of what I plan will have to be custom fabricated, which means extremely higher cost....but it will certainly be unique.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3283
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, guess i assumed wrong about the engine (guess i'm bias towards the HEMI)

The 4.7L has a thicker block (based on the older magnum engines) so getting it over-bored works a lot better and then your stroker kit can be matched, so a little easier there. I'm sure you could contact any of the camshaft manufacturers and get a custom grind for about the same price as most others, even if you'll need 2.

I'm interested in that throttle body, i've never seen or heard of one like that with the variable opening based on tune. Kinda fascinated by the idea.

I would agree with you on the MSD ignition system if you're planning on going the FI route as you'd need a bit more control over the spark timing. I'm not overly familiar with the 4.7, but does it use coils as well or a traditional cap and rotor like the older magnums?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

I don't wanna sound like a jerk...but why? You could likely sell your truck and buy a used one cheaper than upgrading an older one...and have everything newer.
If its power you want, bolt ons would likely take you past OEM '08 4.7.... I love DOHC engines, but it seems like a lot of cost for minimal gain, and where the word custom is used, that means BIG $.
Like I said, I don't wanna sound like a jerk, and maybe I am the one that's missing the point.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I'm interested in that throttle body, i've never seen or heard of one like that with the variable opening based on tune. Kinda fascinated by the idea.
I've done that once before with another car, I used a potentiometer switch to control how far it opened, and a program on my computer to determine the ranges depending on tune.

That way, I can somewhat restrict the airflow coming through the TB, and maintain tighter control on my A/F ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
I don't wanna sound like a jerk...but why? You could likely sell your truck and buy a used one cheaper than upgrading an older one...and have everything newer.
If its power you want, bolt ons would likely take you past OEM '08 4.7.... I love DOHC engines, but it seems like a lot of cost for minimal gain, and where the word custom is used, that means BIG $.
Like I said, I don't wanna sound like a jerk, and maybe I am the one that's missing the point.
My truck isn't that old honestly, and it's the challenge of it. I like THIS truck, and I want to have fun tinkering with it. Yea, I could go cheaper and get the same performance from an older model...but I want to modify this truck, and see what I can get out of it.

That's good enough for me.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L V8
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:30
02DodgeCrazy is on a distinguished road

Well it sound good and all, have you check out AIRRAM they have alot of parts for the 4.7l engine.http://www.airram.com/parts.php?categoryid=687