DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Rep:10
08greybeast is on a distinguished road
Default Ebay intake...doesn't look bad...

Hey Guys...well, i finally got my cutout installed and let me tell you. Thats the way a hemi is supose to sound!!! I hate it with the MDS though...sounds like i am mis firing...oh well...capped it off for now...anyhow, i've been looking for a decent intake for the truck and found this on on ebay, it actually looks decent for 100 bucks...i would love to get the BFI intake, but its WAY too much money for me...

Check this one out...

Its got the 3.5" piping...and even a heat sheild....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-08...Q5fAccessories

Anyone have this intake? How do you like it?

Tom S
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:91
Bobcat06 will become famous soon enough

That is a very small filter, and personally, as will other people on here agree i'm sure, I wouldn't trust an eBay no name filter. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy it for the tubing and heat shield, and then buy a K&N filter separately (as long as it fits). But I would trash that small crappy filter.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

Hello. It all looks good except maybe the filtre. I agree it does look small. Iam not a expert at all and i do not have one yet but im going on what i have seen. The price is right even if you did have to by a different filter.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

I dont like it...I will never in life put anything from ebay on my vehilces, or recommend anything from ebay to put on a vehicle from somebody I know...I love people who buy cheap parts for their cars/trucks, and then wonder why they get problems later on down the line...
Now if your just looking to put a pipe sticking out of the TB to suck air in, that will be fine(i would change the filter to a more high quality type) and it will work just like the oem intake, so you can consider it a "visual" upgrade...If you want to gain some power, and get that growl noise, save your money and get something that is worth it...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

It looks good, the filters are bad. Had one on my old S-10, the IAT grommet was SO bad that it would get the worst readings imaginable.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:10
08greybeast is on a distinguished road

Ok. I don't understand how this is just a visual?? Everyone is head over heals for this BFI intake...Whats different on it?
Lets See

Its a pipe thats flared to a bigger opening...then a bigger inlet air filter is put on...and probally a thicker gauge.

What ADVANTAGE does this provide?? Unless you have a big supercharger on your hemi.....Would you be able to tell a difference between a 3.5inch pipe and probally .5" more? No...will it make a different noise.?...hell...maybe..but you won't be able to tell...

Now don't get me wrong, i am NOT putting a dig on BFI intakes...if i had over 300 bucks to dish out sure, that would be my number one choice....but thats not in my budget.

Essencally an intake is a pipe directed away from heat with a cone air filter..RIGHT?

The only disavantages on this ebay kit is what.....
1. Crappy air filter
Solution: Buy a K/N for what...40 bucks?
2. Thin gauge pipe
-I can live with this....yea sure it might heat soaked alittlebit faster...so what. after a while so would a thicker pipe.

So yea....Is it cheap? Yea for my pocket...for my truck, no, it won't notice a difference

Iam i going to complain? Nope...if it fits nicely, great.

So....CHILLZ HEMI, how will i not get any performance gains out of this kit?
Any intake you put on a engine is just a pipe or rubber hose that sucks air threw it right?

I know you gave your opinion..thats great..i am not putting any diggs on yea...just asking qeustions..

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom S
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM

It would still be better than OEM because it has a heat shield and a free flowing filter. Again, you must change the filter to a bigger one that is better quality (name brand), just make sure it fits that pipe. It will give you some performance upgrades, not just visual. So basically do you want to spend $100 for a intake pipe and heat shield? You'll still have to buy a separate filter and ensure that it fits.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM

The feature that is good on the BFI intake is that the pipe slowly decreases its size as it gets closer to the throttle body, this helps feed air into the throttle body and increases performance. It is not a necessary feature, but its nice. You might want to go to an auto parts store in your area and look at the prices of a K&N for your truck, you might be surprised. Last time I was in there and looked it blew me away. Somewhere around $80 if I remember correctly. I was expecting $40 also.
I also disagree with Chillz, it will give you some performance upgrades like I stated above. But I do agree with his warning about parts on eBay, they are usually cheaply made. But if you just use the intake pipe and heat shield it would probably be alright.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Your right...This is my opinion, but also its been proven time and time again that you get what you pay for...And yeah all CAIs are pipes that suck air...But, there are differences in the design of each individual one that create a difference in power, that is why some people get CAIs customized because of these mass produced products that work for various vehicles, and just not made for a specific manufacturer make/model...Now im not saying that the BFI(since you used that as an example) will gain 20hp just on its own...People looking for true gains in power get a CAI and exhaust sytem to match, thats where the true gains are...Now i am saying if you get that ebay CAI, and an exhaust, the gains(or lack there of) will be different in the gains if you used a BFI with exhaust...Of course the exhaust plays a factor in performance gains too...
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat06 View Post
The feature that is good on the BFI intake is that the pipe slowly decreases its size as it gets closer to the throttle body, this helps feed air into the throttle body and increases performance. It is not a necessary feature, but its nice. You might want to go to an auto parts store in your area and look at the prices of a K&N for your truck, you might be surprised. Last time I was in there and looked it blew me away. Somewhere around $80 if I remember correctly. I was expecting $40 also.
I also disagree with Chillz, it will give you some performance upgrades like I stated above. But I do agree with his warning about parts on eBay, they are usually cheaply made. But if you just use the intake pipe and heat shield it would probably be alright.
Me using the term a "visual" upgrade, is me being a smart a$$...Cuz thats how I feel about cheap parts that have not been proven to do what their counterparts do, which is to gain the maximum amount of cool/filtered air for the specific vehicle it is being used on...