DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Lowering truck/duals

Hey all out there in the GREAT Dodge land. I have a question. Over the winter months going to save some extra cash for another mod. I would like to drop the rear end to have the truck sit level. I still use the truck as a truck. Going in to our trailer park is alil" dipdyedoie. (need some clearence). I also want to put duals on the truck. Im sure like to do both but thats pushing it . If i put the exhaust on first will it effect it if i lower the truck later.Never lowered anything so im not sure. Your help and opinion on this mater would of course be appreciated big time. What to do first?/ what would you do first?
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
Zack93 is on a distinguished road

if it was me instead of lowering the back, if put a lift kit on the front. So it'd still keep it's big look....and what kind of trailer is it? (hooks on the trailer hitch, or the other one that hooks in the bed of the truck)

if it was me i'd raise the front so, its level, and your not messing with the suspension, and stuff in the back, since you said you used it as a work truck stuff.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Putting the exhaust on shouldn't effect it if you want to lower it . It's not like your slamming it on the ground . Besides any good quality exhaust shouldn't hang that low anyway . Have you considered raising the front end like Zack said ?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Megacab 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno red and khaki
Rep:24
ungluedcargo is on a distinguished road

If you are doing your tips out the back then going really(like slammed) low could cause you to drag the tips. If your just leveling it then there should be no problem. You can still do most anything with a lowered truck that I can dowith a regular truck, except if your going to haul alot of weight I would suggest getting airbags to help out the weight hauling in the back, Firestone makes a good aftermarket load helper airbag. I would also make sure you get a good high quality lowering kit to do it, trying to do a lowering with a cheap or poor quality kit will cause you alot of regret later with ride issues and broken parts. Good luck on your project, its always hard to decide what to do next
Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluedcargo View Post
......I would also make sure you get a good high quality lowering kit to do it, trying to do a lowering with a cheap or poor quality kit will cause you alot of regret later with ride issues and broken parts.......

^^if it was me i'd raise the front so you dont have to worry about the parts braking under the weight, i mean still get a good quality kit but just do it in the front. and you can still always the airbags for the back.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Megacab 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno red and khaki
Rep:24
ungluedcargo is on a distinguished road

You dont have to worry about parts breaking in a good kit, the only thng he will be getting is drop shackles and shocks. Some people dont like a lifted truck, so that migh be why hes lowering it. Personally I like them all, lifted, lowered and in between. I just like lifted more because of the snow and off roading I do. And what I said goes for any part, you will usually ALWAYS regret poor quality in a level, lift or lowering kit or any part including a radiator hose. Soemtimes you get lucky and get by with a bad part, most times, at least for me I havent.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

Hey all. My trailer is parked. Its a 37 footer not plannin on towing it. The road is a little rough and we/family do alot of 4wheelin. I wasnt sure if i put duals on and then lowered the back to sit level if it would change anything. I do not want to raise the front end its a 2 wheel drive and im into the sleek street look......Just my preference thats all.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM

well if your wheelin it it'd be better if it sat up high...of at least for my experience its better if it sits up higher than lower, but i dont think you want to like super lower it so you should be good, for wheelin it.

Edit: we always go wheelin in my dads F250 haha
Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack93 View Post
Edit: we always go wheelin in my dads F250 haha
I run my F-350 for it, gotta love muddin' up a ford...to cover the emblems...

You shouldn't have any interference from the exhaust if you lower it, there's LOTS of room under these things. If you just level out the rear, you're still looking at lots of clearance. A 2/4 drop will still clear anything on the roads and almost every low-grade gravel roads, except tractor ruts... bad juju. Anything more and then you might have issues on rough roads.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluedcargo View Post
If you are doing your tips out the back then going really(like slammed) low could cause you to drag the tips. If your just leveling it then there should be no problem. You can still do most anything with a lowered truck that I can dowith a regular truck, except if your going to haul alot of weight I would suggest getting airbags to help out the weight hauling in the back, Firestone makes a good aftermarket load helper airbag. I would also make sure you get a good high quality lowering kit to do it, trying to do a lowering with a cheap or poor quality kit will cause you alot of regret later with ride issues and broken parts. Good luck on your project, its always hard to decide what to do next
For sure. I have Firestone's Ride Rite on my Ram 1500 and it is absolutely fantastic. I use it on a daily basis and it has never failed me. I can level the rear end and even level the sides for uneven loads. You just have to make sure you never exceed the recommended air pressure and be sure to use a high quality tire pressure gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I run my F-350 for it, gotta love muddin' up a ford...to cover the emblems...
Hell I'd take you my '08 Ram 3500 for your F-350. You have the biturbo?