DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:11
Zekery360 is on a distinguished road

Man, starting an engine without oil, or even very low oil, is an idiot move. That dealership should just get ready to eat the cost of a new Hemi. It is horrible that with how much we love our Rams and Dodge cars, people act like they are all just piles of rat feces. Hang in there though, the customer is always right, especially with BBB backup!
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear this , but i knew in the other thread that this is what they would find.
if you ask me get it towed back to the midas and let it sit there till thier local dealer finishes putting the new motor in. if you were on the highway at cruising speed , by time that light came on your motor has run with out oil. meaning exccessive bearing wear. might not hear it now but trust me its there , bearing material in the pan.
i put many years in with midas and this is one of the reasons i left , IMPOSSIBLE to find compitent people to do basic repairs. im not saying all mechanics are hacks but lets admit that they are getting harder to find. i think the dealer doesnt want to get involved because he knows that this is a can of worms better left to the shop that destroyed your motor.
call the midas and tell them to call the dealer (lets face it its midas' screw up) to confirm what happened and send them a check for the amount of installing the new motor. trust me the manager/owner (there are no more corporate owned stores, they are all private owned now) will say "no way". just ask for the number to the corporate office so your lawyer can talk to them and he will change his tune. they all have insurance for this also , its corporate policy.
midas will take care of this , they always did. havent worked there in years but im sure it will be taken care of. i myself wouldnt touch that truck until it has a new motor. this is exactly why i take mine to the dealer for oil changes , when this happens it on thier own heads. GOOD LUCK with this.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekery360 View Post
That dealership should just get ready to eat the cost of a new Hemi.
im not siding with the dealer at all , yeah they should have added oil befor they started it but hey , but if they found the leak obviously there was still oil in it for them to see where it was leaking. how you gonna find a oil leak with out starting it ? the damadge was done befor he pulled to the side of the highway. when that oil light comes on at highway speed it to late when the light comes on let alone pulling over and shutting it off.

the dreaded "double gasketed filter" by the part time high school "pan stripper".....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:11
Zekery360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red041500 View Post
the dreaded "double gasketed filter" by the part time high school "pan stripper".....
LOL! I haven't heard that one before! Even in high school I would check to make sure I didn't double gasket. I would just call them part - time knuckle dragging grease monkeys, or full - time idiots, but I like your way better. More creative.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! I'd be so mad with both idiots, first the one that screwed up the change (it's quite common actually) and even more at the dealership who STARTED it after you told them there was no oil.... IDIOTS! In a case like this the Midas will have to pay the cost of fixing everything, even bearing damage due to no oil in the pan. If your dealership is giving you the run-around with Midas, then either try the GM or go to another dealership if you can.

I hope you can get this worked out, and I thought that Midas was a warranty approved oil shop for Dodge?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about
Default Update

Midas actaully manned up pretty good. I spoke to the manager there again and he said that he talked to his boss and told him they needed to do whatever it took to make it right, and that his boss told him that's exactly why they have insurance.

I finally got dodge to speak to him directly as well. I called the GM at the dealership and service manager snapped right in line after that. The dealer flushed the oil, refilled, and ran a diagnostic. They said they couldn't find anything wrong after that. I had a buddy drive me up, they faxed the bill to midas and handed me the key. I drove it home and it seemed to run fine.

By the way, I wasen't at highway speed, I was only going about 40 mph and I probably had the truck on the shoulder and shut off within 150 yards from when the oil light began to flicker.

Midas also offered that if I ever trusted them to touch it again they would give me free oil changes for the life of the truck. I think I'll do them myself from now on though.

The dealer cleaned up the engine OK but said they can't hose it down cause the oil end up in the drain and they'll get fined. I bought a couple cans of gunk, so that's next.

I'm going to talk to the manager at Midas again tomorrow and let him know that all seems well, but I still consider them on the hook if anything arrises as a result.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I hope you can get this worked out, and I thought that Midas was a warranty approved oil shop for Dodge?
Where did you hear this? Where can I find that kind of informaiton?

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

When my dad bought his new '08 Cummins, he asked for a list of shops that were warranty approved since the truck hauls their 5th wheel down to Arizona regularly. When he gets there he gets a change done and doesn't want to void the drivetrain warranty by not getting changes done on time. His dealership was able to give him a list of approved shops if a dealership wasn't available.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
The dealer flushed the oil, refilled, and ran a diagnostic. They said they couldn't find anything wrong after that.
as long as your happy thats all thats important , and if thats all it took than the midas owner will be happier that a pig in pooh.

all i know is after i drop north of 30k for a truck and someone does something as stupid as a double gasket theres gonna be hell to pay. the dealer flushed the oil ? why ? the answer is to remove as much of the bearing material as they can from the crank case. they did a diagnostic ? what was that ? they started it and said "yeah it doesnt sound like its knockin , ship it". the only way to tell if bearing damadge was done is to check the bearings clearances with plasti gage , which means the motor has to come out. i would get that truck up to running tempature and check the oil pressure and see where its at. i bet its lower than it used to be.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm gunna call the dealer again in the morning and ask about the status of the warranty. If they are truely giving it a clean bill of health or not. Then it'll be on the phone with Midas to let them know what I expect. Truth be told I'd rather not have the engine torn out if it doesn't have to be, but if it ends up needing it I want to be sure Midas is ready to pony up.