DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Maybe the dealer could drop the oil pan , with the motor in the truck and do a visual inspection of a couple of rod and main bearings . That will tell them something .
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

i would see if you can get the dealer to state in writing that the motor warranty is not affected by this , if it is than i would go after midas for it. it would suck two or three years down the road the motor pukes its guts out and the dealer tells you "sorry its not covered because of a incident you had back in 2009 ( this will be well documented in thier computer) , trust me by that time midas would have long forgot about you and good luck battling about it then , as it will probably have a new manager if not owner. i just hate to see you get the short end of the stick on this. i would make sure to do whatever it takes to make sure your dodge lifetime warranty is not voided by this and make sure midas forks the bill to make sure it has to do whatever it take to keep the warranty.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

I called the dealership again this morning and asked point blank what the status of my warranty is. She service manager told me, "Your warranty is intact, we didn't find any damage".

I thought you might all be interested in the text of the receipt as well.

At the top it reads:
"B UPON DRIVE INSPECTION FOUND OIL LIGHT ON WHEN ENGINE STARTED, NOISE
UNDER HOOD, OPENED HOOD, FOUND OIL ALL OVER"

This is followed a few line down by:
"VEHICHLE CAME IN WITH OIL LIGHT ON, OIL ALL OVER THE ENGINE
COMPARTMENT, CHECKED OIL FILTER, FOUND AFTERMARKET "FRAM" FILTER,
REMOVED OIL FITER, FOUND DOUBLE GASKETS, ALL THE OIL WAS PUMPED OUT,
NOTHING DRAIN WHEN OIL PLUS REMOVED, PERFOMED OIL CHANGE, CHANGED
FILTER AND REFILLED OIL, PERFORMED COMPTER DIAGNOSTIC NO ACTIVE
TROUBLE CODES PRESENT, ENGINE NOISE NO LONGER PRESENT. CLEANED OFF
BELTS AND PULLIES, BELT IS SATURATED WITH OIL, BELT MAY NEED TO BE
REPLACED, CUSTOMER MUST HAVE ALL ENGINE COMPARTMENT AREA AND UNDER
VEHICHLE PROPERLY CLEANED, WE CAN NOT CLEAN HEAR DUE TO SAFETY
REGULATIONS, EXHAUST WILL SMOKE AND THERE WILL BE STONG SMELL UNTIL
ALL OIL IS BURNT OFF PIPES AND MANIFOLD, NO FURTHER ACTION MUST BE
TAKEN AT THIS TIME, FILTER AND BOTH GASKETS SAVED FOR CUSTOMER"

So, there it is, bad grammer and punctuation just as it is on my receipt. I'm going to ask the service manager to state in writing that the engine is unaffected and that any future incidents will be considered unrelated.

As always, any advice is welcome.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

looks like the dealer covered everythign for you to take care of the loose ends with midas , i would make them replace the underhood mat , that thing will drip oil FOREVER. like you said i would make sure the dealer states on your paperwork that any future enine problems ARE COVERED BY YOUR WARRANTY. i hate to say it but i had a similar problem with my avalanche , i was complaining about paint bubbling on the rear 1/4 panel at 50,000 miles and they always said its not rust its a paint issue and paint isnt covered, only rust thru till 80,000 miles , at 83,000 miles i had a shopping cart damadge a door and the body shop asked what i wanted to do with the rotted 1/4 panel. i said its not rust it just bubbles in the paint. once he hit the 1/4 panel with a sander ther was a rust hole the size of my fist. dealer told me sorry your outta the 80,000 rust thru warranty and there is no documentation that you ever inquired about it. so i had to eat it. NEVER trust what a dealer says unless he is also willing to put it in writing.

SOOOOOOOO SORY for the long post, just want to make sure you cover youself and dont end up with the short end of the stick.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Truck did ok today for ya ? Sounds Ok ? Make sure Midas takes care of this completely . Let us know how you make out .
Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Drove fine today. Other than still being able to smell a little oil I couldn't tell any difference from before. I still want a real assurance of some sort.

I think I should ask Midas to replace the belt, and the hood mat (thanks for the suggestion red) regardless of what end up happening with getting the warranty in writing.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I think having them change both of those is a resonable request. The hoodmat can't do it's job properly if it's saturated with oil, and it can actually get hotter and pass that thorough to the hood paint. I think the belt should be changed regardless if it's saturated, you don't want it to start slipping
Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Reg. Cab/Bed 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:70
Lil Black 4x4 Hemi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi

Sorry to hear about your "incident". Man, I would have kicked the mechanic SQUARELY in the balls for starting the truck dry.

Man, this just gives me more ammo for my "I take care of my OWN truck" service plan. Nobody is going to put oil in the filter before putting it on, just like nobody is going to check the gaskets, and use a premium filter. In my mind this could have just as easily have happened at the dealership. They're like Midas they've got to move cars along.

Luke
K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rancho RS5000s, TRUXXX Leveling Kit, Heavy Duty Towing Shackles, Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Chrome Fender Flares, Stainless Door-sills, Chrome Door Trim, Atturo Trail Blade 35x12.50R20, METAL Grille Inserts.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Black 4x4 Hemi View Post
Sorry to hear about your "incident". Man, I would have kicked the mechanic SQUARELY in the balls for starting the truck dry.

Man, this just gives me more ammo for my "I take care of my OWN truck" service plan. Nobody is going to put oil in the filter before putting it on, just like nobody is going to check the gaskets, and use a premium filter. In my mind this could have just as easily have happened at the dealership. They're like Midas they've got to move cars along.

Luke

Yeah, the dealer actaully told me that they have made the same mistake before. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your problems. Midas is pretty damn stupid to do that. I remember when I was apprenticing at a GM dealership and I seen an oil change tech do the same thing. The funny thing is, they're supposed to start up the car, rev it a little, check for leaks and then check the oil level. After starting it up oil would've been pissing out of the filter like mad. Like I said, I've seen this before. Worst was when a friend did the same thing when he changed the oil on his GSX-R600. He spilled oil all over his fairings and he's lucky he didn't wipe out. He ended up having to fix his mistake on the side of the road, all while oil was spilled all over the place.

Anyways, hope things go well from this point forward. It's not like it can get any worse.