DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
The funny thing is, they're supposed to start up the car, rev it a little, check for leaks and then check the oil level. After starting it up oil would've been pissing out of the filter like mad. Like I said, I've seen this before.

Funny thing is. I drove it about 600 miles before the gasket blew out. That included 360 miles highway immediatly after the change. It took 8 days before anything happened.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:17
ETRob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Black 4x4 Hemi View Post
Sorry to hear about your "incident". Man, I would have kicked the mechanic SQUARELY in the balls for starting the truck dry.

Man, this just gives me more ammo for my "I take care of my OWN truck" service plan. Nobody is going to put oil in the filter before putting it on, just like nobody is going to check the gaskets, and use a premium filter. In my mind this could have just as easily have happened at the dealership. They're like Midas they've got to move cars along.

Luke
GPSHSLAX
Buddy; your thread has me moving back to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi's service plan. I hope this turns out in your favor. I wish you the best of luck in solving this issue. I quit changing oil in my 4 vehicles and 2 boats because of the hassle I get trying to get these “so-called” recycle places accepting the waste oil 4 disposal. I use a local Quick Oil change place that allows me in the "pit" when they do the Oil change. My 1969 Oldsmobile rear differential was OK after my issue; hope your issue goes the same or you get a new engine package out of this.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
Funny thing is. I drove it about 600 miles before the gasket blew out. That included 360 miles highway immediatly after the change. It took 8 days before anything happened.

when i was workin in automotive i still to this day i still dont believe i saw this, but i did and oil change on a customers car. as usual i always used to take the filter down and literally pull the gasket 1/2 way outta the filter i took off so i know its on there and not stuck to the block, then i reach up and scratch the block with my fingernail to double make sure there no gasket stuck on there. well this time i pulled the gasket outta the old filter and reached up and low and behold there was a gasket stuck to the block also. who ever did the previous oilchange was the luckiest guy ever, he did double gasket it and it actually held for the complete 3000 mile oil change interval.
i think it all depends on how tight they put the new filter on and also how much oil pressure you have are the contributing factors as to why it took so long to blow a double gasketed filter.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Reg. Cab/Bed 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:70
Lil Black 4x4 Hemi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETRob View Post
GPSHSLAX
Buddy; your thread has me moving back to Lil Black 4x4 Hemi's service plan. I hope this turns out in your favor. I wish you the best of luck in solving this issue. I quit changing oil in my 4 vehicles and 2 boats because of the hassle I get trying to get these “so-called” recycle places accepting the waste oil 4 disposal. I use a local Quick Oil change place that allows me in the "pit" when they do the Oil change. My 1969 Oldsmobile rear differential was OK after my issue; hope your issue goes the same or you get a new engine package out of this.
It's a pain, no doubt about it....and I've got the oil sitting around to prove it! lol You'd figure the guys would be greatful you're bringing it in, but they gotta give you the 3rd degree about water and this and that...UGH!

I'm fortunate because I'm a farm guy and we can use the oil on the chains on haybailers or some other implement.

Luke
K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rancho RS5000s, TRUXXX Leveling Kit, Heavy Duty Towing Shackles, Recon Smoked Cab Lights, Chrome Fender Flares, Stainless Door-sills, Chrome Door Trim, Atturo Trail Blade 35x12.50R20, METAL Grille Inserts.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Rep:35
hemi05 is on a distinguished road

My brother done this once to my dad's F-150. Oil sprayed everywhere just as you explained, but no long term damage. I ended up with the truck and drove it until I traded it to my Dodge, and it had 175,000+ miles on it then. So unless they let it run long enough to empty, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'm no expert mechanic, just trying to pass on some personal experience.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Spoke to Midas again. They agreed to have my belt and hood mat changed out at their expense. Now I'm trying to get the dealership to return my call so I can set that up.

I had someone else give me some advice as per the warranty as well. The advise was not to push the dealership to put anything about warranty into the computer. In theory, as it stands my warranty is good and asking them to put in writing that this incident doesn't void the warranty runs the risk of having something in the comupter that suggests there might be a reasont to wonder if the warranty is ok. Not sure what to do here at this point. I am going to go ahead and get the other stuff taken care of and hopefully I can figure out whether or not to ask them to put it in writing before the appointment.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
That is a very, very rare thing to happen considering the circumstances. Oil should've pissed out of there the minute you started it up. My only guess is that the tech knew he screwed up and tried to cover his own arse.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:25
Alowes2837 is on a distinguished road

I can't believe the dealership is being such a pain as they will still be getting paid for thier work by midas so surely it's in thier interest to get it sorted. I must say that the whole experiance points to the fact that if you don't work on your vehicles yourself then don't go to the cheap oil lube places. An independant garage generally employes ASE certified techs and not just monkeys. As the saying goes if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

Man oh man that bites the big one. Most definately they should repair any damage done. Dont lie down for them. Your right and there in the wrong. Its amazing when you start talking better buisness bureau or lawyer how things can start to come around. Thus you shouldnt even have to do this at all when its not your doing. Trust me went through some troubled times not that long ago and it worked out. WHAT GOES AROUND DOES EVENTUALLY COME AROUNd. Hang in there and good luck.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows