DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:57
bosshog will become famous soon enough
Default Programmers

Hey guys...been seeing a lot of info bout programmers...how exactly do these things work and does it cause any problems...is it worth the 300-400 bucks... is this something you can do asa DIY....so many ????'s
Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

Im sure most people on here have the diablo tuner, and say that its worth the money...I am quite sure that it is all DIY, but not too sure how, however I do know that the changes are through the ecu of the vehicle from the tuner, and not just plugged in and manipulating the system like some chips out there...I dont have one, but more guys will come along to help you out more...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

It uploads a more efficient , peppier program to your computer . Can expect better gas mileage and better performance out of it . When I first heard of Diablosport , went to their website . They showed how they designed the programmer for the 6.1 hemi . In their clip they said the first thing they did was to take some fuel away from it . Horsepower came up . Thats what these guys do all day is play with the different settings , upload them , road test and dyno test these cars and see what kind of improvment they can make while keeping it to stay within Federal guidelines .
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I run the diablosport predator myself, great for the HEMI btw. When you load them for the first time, it stores your stock tune so you can upload it again if you even need to take it to the dealership, unlike the flashpacks that just write over the stock programming. When installed by simply plugging it into the OBDII port under the steering wheel and following on screen prompts. The stock canned tunes will adjust fuel/air ratios, shift points, and throttle response to give you more HP and MPGs. It's a more effieient programming compared to the stock programming which is designed as a blanket tune to encompass every type of driver. Also, the tuners are designed to work with CAIs and freer flowing exhausts, but it's not a mandatory requirement, just recommended to get the most out of the tuner.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:11
Zekery360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
...unlike the flashpacks that just write over the stock programming.
Flashpaqs read stock as well. I just got mine roughly a week ago. All tuners should, but I know from experience the Flashpaqs read and store stock. Just FYI.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, guess it's just some that don't. Had a few friends that got them that didn't, they were cheap ones though.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 PM
2010 Ram Owner

Which is better: the Diablo programmer or the Hypertech? I used the latter on both my Silverados and found them to be easy to use and with good results.
How does using any programmer affect or work with MDS that is on the newer hemi?
2010 Ram driver
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I push the skinny pedal

How much modding are you looking to do to the engine? If you're planning to break into the engine the predator is by far the way to go as it's the most dynamic tuner out there. If you're just planning to put a CAI and exhaust then a hypertech would be fine. I have a predator on my '07 HEMI and I love it; I run the 91 octane tune and have great results.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

What impact (if any) do these programmers have on warranties? One of the main selling points of my '09 was the Lifetime Power Train Warranty and I'd hate to throw it away by getting a Predator. Anybody know?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:57
bosshog will become famous soon enough

alright...i have the 03 Hemi..with flowmaster exaust and k/n intake...not going inside the engine for mods...down the road may add headers...other wise thats it...as far as the hypertec i can plug and play myself or do i need to take it to the stealership..to get the tuning precise...thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!