DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 AM
RIVER PILOT

Default Amazed at what Dodge & Cummins don't know

During a month long break down I found out that Woodhouse Dodge dealer knows a little about Cummins engines and that Sioux Falls Cummins knows less about Dodge pickups than I do. It started with a smoking exhaust and a fuel cough. My Dodge dealer diagnosed it($100) with their kill test as 1 & 5 cyl. having low contribution and recommending new injectors for $1500. After I was revived by the EMT's I took it before they could fix it and ordered a couple aftermarket ones for $185 apiece and had Cummins install them. After $350 installed it still smoked and ran like crap. Cummins said they didnt have a Chrysler computer to plug into it and diagnose so, I took it back to Dodge and they said #1 cyl. was still low contribution. They recommended a compression test (another $100)and said it was low (380 lbs.) and they arrived at this by not checking any other cylinders. They recommended taking the heads off (10hrs x $99 an hr) to LOOK for a possible scored cylinder. Since guessing is arrived by having NO real Proof, I took it back to Cummins to do a blow by test and it passed by being in spec.(another $350) they said, they were recomending the heads to be removed too. Well needless to say, they didnt get to do it either. I then decided if there was a reason to remove the heads there would have to be some metal in an Oil Analysis. Sent one in (best $17 ever spent) and , sure enough, NO Metal in The Oil !! Took it to Diesel Specialties i Sioux City Iowa after spending $1100.00 to Dodge and Cummins. Diesel Specialties has a Chrysler computer and can test injectors and pumps as well. End result was they did a Chrysler kill test also said #1 was low contribution. As they worked (at $80 hr) their way down the injectors testing ($32 x 8) and replacing (4 x $350)) of them one by one (total $2970), because they were stuck open or excessive return, they also checked 2 cylinders for compression, getting an average of about 350 lbs( note my engine has 270k mi. on it, so You're not gonna have new compression of 425 psi. Mister Dodge Service Manager !). In retro spec. I learned that Unless You have them check multiple cylinders they wont know what Your compression AVERAGE is. And Unless You check the oil analysis when its running Normal, You wont know, for sure, what an abnormal reading is. And, do not ever let any one tear you down with out having one done first. And even if Cummins built your Engine dont let them work on it, unless, they have a computer to diagnose electronics as the 04.5 to 07 is a different animal. If you're still in warranty go ahead and let Dodge throw new parts at Your truck , because even a Blind Squirrel finds a Nut once in a while, other wise take it to a Diesel Pickup Performance shop, they are quicker and work cheaper.
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004.5 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Molten Red/ Silver
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:93
Poriggity will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your problems.. I too have had an issue with some dodge dealers not knowing the cummins motor.
Best of luck with your search. My find has always been that the independent diesel shops are the best at that stuff.
Scott
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. Unless you have a chrysler tech that lives and breaths diesels (Luckily we have a few in Calgary) it's better to head to a performance shop.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2009 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Rep:15
337ram is on a distinguished road

Just got out of a ford diesel and it was the same way , I beleave you have to find a passionate diesel tech for any kind of luck. Also the new generation diesels imho are just to dam complex and its going to take awhile for the techs to catch up with the technology
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337ram View Post
Just got out of a ford diesel and it was the same way , I beleave you have to find a passionate diesel tech for any kind of luck. Also the new generation diesels imho are just to dam complex and its going to take awhile for the techs to catch up with the technology
While this is partly true, the same can be said for the customers who buy the newest generation of diesels. They just can't seem to get it through their collective heads that you can't operate them like the old ones. Extended idling is hands-down the worst thing you can do to a diesel with an EGR and DPF system. Running incorrect fuel and additives are also bad for the fuel systems. New engines are meant to work and work hard; they aren't meant for weekend cruising and grocery getting. If you don't plan to work a 6.7, don't get one!