DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500 slt. Manual 2wd.
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:22
Nick Boudin is on a distinguished road
Default 318 top end teardown and rebuild

Alright so as some of you may know from another thread I blew my head gasket/ cracked my block/ warped or cracked my heads. Well, one way for me to really find out was to tear the motor down to the block and find the damage. I didnt take step by step pictures of the tear down, but I did take a bunch of random pictures along the way. So I'll post them all here with a breif description.

(keep in mind these are taken via iPhone)

Here starts the tear down, this picture is with the alternator, radiator, ac pump and ac pump/ alternator bracket removed.

A quick picture of the intake without the throttle body.

You can see a small leak around the thermostat area. Tons of gunk built up also.

After a few minutes of scraping away more carbon and grease build up I find the plenum pan.

This thing was REAL dirty.

Here's the filthy intake. The front half was pretty clean, the back half on the other hand was disgusting. Atleast 1/4" of carbon build up all the way around.

Here's the first discovery. The plenum gasket was sealed very well around the bolts with some type of RTV sealent, but it looks like only about an 1/8th inch bead was used between the bolts and it was the weak spot. I tried to highlight the break in the gasket. There was 2 breaks in my plenum gasket just like this.

You can see both breaks in the gasket in this picture, 3 bolt holes from the right. Basically in the middle on each side.

Here I cleaned the pan and scraped off the old gasket. Damn it was hard around the bolts to get it to come off.
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Next to come off was all the valve covers and the heads. I had to obviously disconnect my headers from the heads first. It was a huge pain in the ass to try and get to the head bolts without dropping the headers.

Here's one of the heads taken out. They're heavier then I expected haha.

Here's a break in the head gasket on the passenger side.

Here's a break on the passenger side, also.

All my parts that are clean and ready to go. I repainted the idler arm and my coil mount, and another mount ontop the intake. Also the fuel rails are painted and the intake was hot tanked and sand blasted. Valve covers were also hot tanked sand blasted inside and out, and then repainted gloss black.

Another picture of the parts that are ready to go. Throttle body was stripped down and polished and then rebuilt.

I cleaned my heads myself instead of sending them out to be done. I probably should have had them professionaly done, but I'm a DIY kind of guy that loves his dremel tool.

Here's the finished port/polish job. Nothing crazy just wanted to get it nice and smooth. I did the same thing around the valves.

I'll keep you guys updated with more pictures as I work on it. I'm getting a top end gasket kit this week sometime, and this weekend I'll be putting the motor back together. I've got a list of stuff I need from the auto parts store!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
erm

Awesome post. Rep for that!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Way to go Nick . Nice job taking pics . iPhone didn't do a bad job . Nice job cleaning everything up and painting . Could see in the photo of the head , the dark spot where the gasket let go . Make sure you get the antifreeze out of the oil pan . Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the plug and just let it drain . Replace that bypass hose while your there and it's accessible . Hows the block look ? Rep also .
Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up you did. Good job on the polishing as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks guys. I drained the block after I took those pictures a few days ago. Nice and milkshake-y.

The polishing dosent look too bad you think? Scariest part was doing that haha. I tried not to make the actual port openings any bigger then they were just smoothing out the inside mostly.

Block looks good, too BTW. Thank god!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Great . Post pics as you reassemble . Any questions ask away . Tom
Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up. Good job on the polishing too, looks nice and smooth, especially compared to the stock, should get much lower turbulance in/out of the cylinder
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Great write up.

Just wondering if that amount of carbon buildup would be typical of a motor never opened up? I realize yours is a 94, but that is a LOT of buildup.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Its a 94 but it only has 91k on it for miles. It shouldent have that much carbon it probabaly does due to the amount of gasket problems it had. Thanks agian everyone ill get better pictures for the rebuild.