DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
ya its a hemi03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ya its a hemi03

I have an 03 hemi with the flowmaster 44 superseries and it sounds mean like old school muscle care mean... sounds kinda like your engines slapping as it comes down from high rpms
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: Big Horn Package
Color: Stone White
Rep:50
MTtruckr will become famous soon enough

I just did a magnaflow mufflex 18 setup. It is designed to simply unbolt the stock muffler and put in the new magnaflow muffler utilizing all stock pipes with tips. It's an easy job, sounds great and I haven't had any problems when the MDS kicks in. There is a sound difference, but I wouldn't say it's bad by any means. Just another option to throw out there for you.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETRob View Post
armyrgr
CdoilRAM is right on track here. I own a 2005 5.7ltr. LX car with MDS and tried an inexpensive FLOWMASTER C/B Exhaust system. What MOPAR says about MDS is: "a Seamless cylinder deactivation ". THAT is tuned to the factory exhaust. Before the FLOWMASTER's I could not detect, feel, or hear the "Seamless cylinder deactivation. Six weeks later I pulled the FLOWMASTER's off. She has a $$$$ CORSA C/B exhaust now. I might be comparing apples to mangos here; but I'm not settling for the "cheap stuff" for my fleet of HEMI's
I agree. I would never in my life go cheap on anything that I own. Whether it be aftermarket upgrades to maintenance parts, I never use cheap stuff on any vehicle or anything that I have. Borla and Corsa have been making kick ass exhausts for a long time. If they have stuff for Corvettes, Vipers, even Ferraris and Lamborghinis then you know they are high end. You don't see Flowmasters or Magnaflows on Ferraris or Lamborghinis. And this is not to offend anyone who already has Flowmasters or Magnaflows or is a fan of them. Just stating the fact that you will definitely get a far better product when you're willing to spend the extra money. And that is a proven fact. Believe me, I work in the roofing industry and I have to explain to my customers why a 50-year metal roof is better than a 15-year asphalt roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyrgr View Post
i can wait! i'm stuck in iraq for another 10 months!
Stay safe man, it's f**king crazy out there.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram HEMI
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:103
Hemipwrd will become famous soon enoughHemipwrd will become famous soon enough

CdnoilRAM,
I have the overdrive off pretty much all the time. Only time I don't is when the speed limit is over 55. I usually get about 14.7 mpg give or take a little. The only choice I have now so I don't have to keep turning the overdrive off is to get a tuner. The muffler shop destroyed the resinator when I specifically told them not to. I'd rather spend the money on a tuner then put that thing back in, I love the way it sounds without it.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BLAKCART is on a distinguished road

I had a 08 5.7 that I put the Full gibson cat back on. It sounded great with a lot of growl, but got a little annoying when driving for awhile or when towing - it was just a little too loud to enjoy. I traded that truck for my 09 and only put on a dual in / out flowmaster, leaving the rest of the system intact. There was no reason to buy a full exhaust, because the stock pipe is 2.5 mandrel bent aluminized pipe. The power and fuel economy was noticible, but the best part was the sound. Perfect growl when hitting it hard, but hardly above stock when putting around or driving at a steady speed. The best part was the change from normal to MDS mode - which still seems pretty seamless. It does not sound weird or have the drone like most of the aftermarket exhausts, because the resonators are still intact. Great improvement for cheap, I recommend it.
In comparison, I had a 02 ram with a full gibson exhaust, a 07 ram, the 08 ram mentioned above, a 07 charger I still have with a complete flowmaster exhaust (has resonators built in, which also make the MDS transition smooth), and a 09 Challenger I still have with the stock exhaust. In my opinion, my 09 sounds the best all around. If you are into a really loud exhaust, this setup is probably not for you, but if you like alot more bite, without the irritation of resonance in the cab or an abnoxious drone when MDS comes on - this is a perfect setup.

Last edited by BLAKCART; 11-21-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Rep:35
hemi05 is on a distinguished road

I have an 05 Ram and I just had my exhaust put on a couple of weeks ago. I got the super 44's and it was a 3" in / dual 2.5" out. SOUNDS AWESOME!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: graphite
supercharged03hemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to supercharged03hemi

I have stainless longtube headers and a full catback flowmaster system and it sounds great. It is really loud, but it sounds really good.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1890
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

They're right about the sound when running in 4 cylinder mode with flowmasters. It sounds like you've got a misfire.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
04SportHemi is on a distinguished road

Ok - I'm new to Dodge and this forum, so I'll ask the dumb question... What is MDS?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SportHemi View Post
Ok - I'm new to Dodge and this forum, so I'll ask the dumb question... What is MDS?
Chrysler's patented own cylinder deactivation. MDS stands for Multiple Displacement System. It cuts down half (I think half) the cylinders in the Hemi to gain fuel economy. It will only do this when the engine is under light load, and when you floor it or when you're hauling/towing stuff then it goes back to 8 cylinders. It's supposed to do this seamlessly but I never drove the new Rams so I can't really tell you. But that's the general idea. Other manufacturers use similar technology to improve fuel economy.