DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
BIG Z is on a distinguished road
Default 12V Cummins info please?

hey all.

when i get the money, i would like to buy a 12V cummins or a first gen of the 24V for my first ride. i dont know anything really about the cummins engine, im mostly into the duramax.

but i would like to know the HP, MPG or KM/L.

i really want one of these suckers.

thanks all
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black/Silver stripes
Rep:134
TenneSST will become famous soon enoughTenneSST will become famous soon enough

I have a 1997 12v truck. They made 215 hp and 440 ft/lbs. It is an extended cab dually and gets roughly 21 mpg.

Here is a good page with quite a bit of information: http://dodgeram.org/support_pgs/diesel_ix.htm
Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

I have an 08 Ram 3500 with the new Cummins in it. It's 350HP and 610lb-ft of torque.
Mileage varies depending on the weight that you're hauling, and if you keep it in lower gears or not. When I'm hauling the trailer with a full load I keep it in the lower gears. It has a 6-speed tranny similar to GM's Allison and you can select gears manually.

Before you buy, be sure you're purchasing something that you'll be using. Everyone loves to have lots of power, but diesel is specific for towing and hauling. I use my Ram 3500 for work to haul 10,000kg, but I should have bought the SuperDuty instead because I've had nothing but problems with my truck. My Ram 1500 is far more reliable.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black/Silver stripes
Rep:134
TenneSST will become famous soon enoughTenneSST will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I use my Ram 3500 for work to haul 10,000kg, but I should have bought the SuperDuty instead because I've had nothing but problems with my truck. My Ram 1500 is far more reliable.
Hmmm...my neighbor has a 2008 Super Duty and it spends a lot of time in the shop. He was thinking he should have bought the Cummins Dodge instead.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:54 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

Your 08 Cummins needed to have a couple of the new flashes for the Regen-Junk / EGR ..... Get the EGR Delete Kit and all will be Perfect. The older 12v is the best for NO Fuel Issues at all. Once you get into the 24V you start looking at VP44 Fuel Pumps Issues that can set you back $1500.00 . Ball Joints and front end issues are the norm with the older and some newer trucks. STAY away from the new FORDS from 6.0 to current. You can never go wrong with a taken care of 12valver....... Check out Diesel Truck Rescource...DTR.... All your Diesel answers are there....
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
BIG Z is on a distinguished road

thanks all
Old 11-13-2009, 02:07 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenneSST View Post
Hmmm...my neighbor has a 2008 Super Duty and it spends a lot of time in the shop. He was thinking he should have bought the Cummins Dodge instead.
Less than 70,000km on the truck and I've gone through front U-Joints and ball joints. Twice. Replaced the water pump. Twice. Had sudden loss of power without any explaination. Dealer was never able to find a fix, but the truck worked fine again several days later. Now that happened about four or five times. Had the anti-theft leave me unable to start the vehicle. That happened twice. Bought this truck new for $58,000 and it isn't anywhere near as reliable as my '03 Ram 1500. My '03 Ram 1500 has 120,000km and has the original front end, water pump and that Hemi growls when I need it to, purrs when I want it to and hauls arse when I say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 View Post
Your 08 Cummins needed to have a couple of the new flashes for the Regen-Junk / EGR ..... Get the EGR Delete Kit and all will be Perfect. The older 12v is the best for NO Fuel Issues at all. Once you get into the 24V you start looking at VP44 Fuel Pumps Issues that can set you back $1500.00 . Ball Joints and front end issues are the norm with the older and some newer trucks. STAY away from the new FORDS from 6.0 to current. You can never go wrong with a taken care of 12valver....... Check out Diesel Truck Rescource...DTR.... All your Diesel answers are there....
The dealership has had that truck many times, and I've even brought it over to other Chrysler dealerships and they still couldn't figure out the electrical problems. It's still under warranty until 120,000km but I plan to getting rid of it once I pay it off. I've never had front end issues with my '03 Ram 1500, everything on that truck is original except for the brakes.