DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Need Help Desperately!

Okay, so I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 with 164,000 miles on her. When I got the truck, it had been used for a farm truck and I am assuming that they had loaded up the bed because it sagged pretty bad to the drivers side. It was 2 inches low on the driver's side rear and 1.5 inches low on the driver's side front. So I measured many times both sides in various places. Checked the bed mounts and they were fine. I didn't see any twist or torque in the body, but that is often hard to see. The truck had backed into something before in the past and had been slightly hit in the font as well. So first issue...could not get it aligned. Camber couldn't be aligned and the truck always ran to the right. Had it aligned (attempted) again, same issue. I then went and put all new springs and shackles in the rear. This lifted the rear almost 2 inches but the driver's side rear still sagged the same amount. The front was slightly better but still slightly off. I then took it back to the spring shop and had them shim the driver's rear leaf with a half inch shim. The truck is now only a half inch lower in the driver's rear side but almost even in the front. They re-aligned the truck and centered the stearing wheel. The camber now was much better! The truck follows the crown of the road and runs slightly to the right at times, but is much better. I am dumbfounded on how to figure out why the truck is lower on that side! Any help would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500 4wd 5.9 ext cab
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:28
JackJ is on a distinguished road

Well, the gas tank is on that side. Mine leans to the left a little bit all the time.

Just a guess though.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

My 2003 and my 99 Ranger sag to the drivers side ever so slight. I believe it is because if there is ever any extra weight (even if it is not much) on one side of the truck compared to the other it affects the wear more. Hench a driver always in the truck, a sag to the drivers side.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 AM

That was a 2003 1500. So I don't think it matters the size of the truck
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 AM

Well if not shimmed, this one was bad. I just can't figure out why it is like that. Does anyone else know what could be causing it?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

How does the underneath of the truck look? Ive seen alot of farm trucks loaded kinda funny/they are farm trucks...as long as they work nothin else much matters. Loads are put in...anyolway. Does the frame look good. Like maybe a slight twist or sag? Im guessing but have you ever followed someone thats dogtrackin. This is only a thought man. Backed into something, and the front as well right...
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Yea could be, but what is dogtracked?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Okay, so I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 with 164,000 miles on her. When I got the truck, it had been used for a farm truck and I am assuming that they had loaded up the bed because it sagged pretty bad to the drivers side. It was 2 inches low on the driver's side rear and 1.5 inches low on the driver's side front. So I measured many times both sides in various places. Checked the bed mounts and they were fine. I didn't see any twist or torque in the body, but that is often hard to see. The truck had backed into something before in the past and had been slightly hit in the font as well. So first issue...could not get it aligned. Camber couldn't be aligned and the truck always ran to the right. Had it aligned (attempted) again, same issue. I then went and put all new springs and shackles in the rear. This lifted the rear almost 2 inches but the driver's side rear still sagged the same amount. The front was slightly better but still slightly off. I then took it back to the spring shop and had them shim the driver's rear leaf with a half inch shim. The truck is now only a half inch lower in the driver's rear side but almost even in the front. They re-aligned the truck and centered the stearing wheel. The camber now was much better! The truck follows the crown of the road and runs slightly to the right at times, but is much better. I am dumbfounded on how to figure out why the truck is lower on that side! Any help would be highly appreciated!
Can anyone help me out with this? The truck runs to the right very slightly as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
SMARSH is on a distinguished road

Is your rear axle exactly perpendicular to the drive shaft? You may have had the big ubolts attaching the axle to the spring and frame slip.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram
Color: green
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:13
Turboram is on a distinguished road

ugh has everyone overlooked a tweaked frame? or a bad front coil spring?

the frames are strong but a bump in the front is enough to push it back a lil , which would in turn push the rear back and up due to the rear end and in turn lowering the one side...

that would be the most common thing to me(ase master tech) ...

take it to a frame shop and have'm measure it out with a laser rack...doing it yourself wont get the right measurements due to the flex of the rubber cab mounts etc. ....or just drive it and live with it ...

Last edited by Turboram; 11-23-2009 at 04:00 PM.