DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ruggerMo is on a distinguished road
Default Factory prep question

Hello all: I am pre-ordering a 2010 1500. The quote came back with a couple add-ons, the usual expected extended warranty/service contracts and this:
"Ziebart Vehicle Protection Package Includes:
Rustproofing, Underbody Sound Deadener and Interior Fabric
Protection"
Priced at $469.

Am I correct in assuming this is one of those severely over-priced add-ons of stuff one really doesn't need, and, if so, is there any of that I should be sure to do after-market?

Thanks much to anyone for any guidance/opinions provided, Allan H.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

Not sure if it would be overpriced, but it sounds like it would be worth getting...When I bought my truck I got the tire/rim protection 3 years, dent/ding protection 3 years, the environmental package(scotch guard interior, and paint protection on the exterior) free oil changes for three years, free state inspection forever, and the six year extended warranty, and those added $45 to my monthly payment...I guess you could see if they offer things like that for your truck that would be better than "sound proofing", im sure they are not the loud of a ride(in the 2010s)...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Gray
Rep:14
2nd Ram is on a distinguished road

My '09 Ram is really quiet. I wouldn't spend any extra money for "sound deadening". If you want the fabric protection, just go to Autozone and get a couple cans of Scotch Guard and spray the carpet and cloth yourself. I'm not familiar with the actual Ziebart process/material, but I wouldn't be too concerned with additional rust protection either unless I lived in a northern area of the country where the roads are heavily salted all winter long. I would try telling the dealer to throw that stuff in for free or the deal's off
Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I wouldn't do it . Haven't had it done on any of my vehicles . My father had the Ziebart done on his 82 Toyota and it still didn't help . Bottoms of both front doors rotted off .
Old 11-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
Airdog is on a distinguished road

Unless you plan on driving gravel roads every day, heavily salted roads in the winter, and plan on spilling sodas or puking in your truck regularly I wouldn't pay for it either. It sounds like the dealer is "pushing" extras into the sale of your truck.

The new 2009/2010 body is very well built and really quiet already. If you want to protect the interior just get a couple of cans of Scotch Guard like 2nd Ram said.

There was a pretty cool video on youtube showing the assembly of the 2009 Ram. Unfortunately, it looks like it has been removed. "How to assemble a 2009 Ram 1500 Pickup Truck in less then 6 minutes!"
Old 11-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice
Default Not worth it

Hello. From doing a lot of reading I noticed that all the sites agree those dealer add ons are not worth it. The sound protection sounds interesting, but to tell you the truth, my truck is nice and quiet as it is. I wouldn't get it. For paint protection, go to the auto parts and get a synthetic wax also known as a paint sealant instead of buying something like Perma Plate sold at dealers. For fabric protection, just use something like a 3M scotch guard.

A great website I've recently found with a lot of detailing info is www.autogeek.net

If you don't want to do it yourself, I guess you could pay for it. But if the truck is coming from factory, then don't let the dealer stick on things you don't want. If you order from factory, you should get it like you want it and nothing more. On my truck, the dealer had already added the Perma Plate, fabric, and leather protection. I tried to argue to get it discounted but they said it was already on there and all their cars have it. So I said, screw it. But if I had the option, I would have done it myself.

Good luck

Teo
Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
ruggerMo is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

Gracias to all for the feedback, you've clarified the dealer's little money-making waltz and saved me some cash.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 5.7L
Trim Level: Big Horn Package
Color: Stone White
Rep:50
MTtruckr will become famous soon enough

I live in Minnesota so I had Ziebart do something similar aftermarket. The rustproofing is sprayed inside the doors and other places water and salt may accumulate. They also spray around all the seams and joints where it may be more prone to rust. They then spray the underside with an undercoat like spray to add an extra layer. It looks like it should do a pretty good job helping fight that darn salt.
I figured it has got to help some, so it was worth it to keep things getting destroyed by road salt, especially on a new truck.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
erm

If you're truck will be exposed to a lot of road salts and corrosive material, it isn't a bad idea to go with some undercoating.

The bad idea is letting the dealer sell it to you at twice the price you'd pay compared to what you can get it for walking into the same shop that does it for the dealer.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 AM

Vehicle: 2010 ram quadcab
Trim Level: slt,big horn,bucket
Color: black
Rep:22
vided is on a distinguished road

it's a money maker for the dealer and a money waster for you !!!!!