DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 SLT
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:11
LSxFBODYgen3 is on a distinguished road
Default Your suggestions on Air Level Kits?

Ok guys Ive been looking at doing a level kit for the front end. Thats great and all but for the winter I throw in 400lbs in the back to help with traction. Just did that today and now the truck sits close to level. This is without the front level kit and grille guard im buying. Im scared that if I raise the front the back will now sag.

I have not purchased the front level kit and grille guard yet.

My question is do you guys think it would be worth it to buy one of those air leveling kits for the back. I dont do ALOT of heavy hauling but I do have a load in there from time to time. Winter I carry 400lbs all the time(just loaded it in there about 30 mins ago with the forklift at work...its slow today so im messin around lol). During the warmer months I have a heavy load in there every once in awhile....no more then 1000lbs tho. I do plan to buy a hitch and brake controller as I plan to tow a boat and car with the truck.

Do you guys have any luck with air level kits...whats the best brand...price and so on. Let me know what you guys think. Im new to trucks and towing and all that. Always was a sports car kind of guy...just finally got a truck and LOVE IT!

Last edited by LSxFBODYgen3; 11-27-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
erm

Air leveling kits for the rear are the best way to go if your load weight or tongue weight of your haul varies. It's infinitely adjustable for those varying weights.

As far as the best kit, I can't help there. I haven't sourced one in a long time. So, do your research. There are options to consider:

1. Onboard compressor, switches and gauges. Level the truck from the inside if you so choose.

2. Save some money by just having a standard air fitting installed and you can manually add or delete air as needed.

3. Understand the air bag material type and thickness. Just like most things, you get what you pay for.

4. A kit should include all lines and fittings.

5. A kit should have the bag perches that fit your truck. Stay away from "universal" kits.

Good luck with your modding!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks....im looking at this kit. It appears you need to buy the kit for the air compressor and all separate.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...0A2181730.aspx

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A2969A0A0.aspx
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Friend has air leveling kit on his 1500 series farm truck and loves it . Not sure of make or cost . Will look into it for ya , if you want me to .
Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Yes that would be great if you could. My main reason for wanting to do it is:

1. I dont carry heavy loads everyday or consistantly so no reason to throw heavier rear leaves on and so on
2. I have varying loads anytime it is loaded
3. I want it to look and ride decent

Ive heard a lot of good about air leveling kits on trucks. I know the delivery truck that comes during the week has one. I know this cause every time I take a pallet load off you hear air release from the truck instantaneously. First time I heard it I thought I blew a hydraulic line on the forklift or something.

If you can check out those links I posted and let me know if you think that would be a good gig. My only concern is that although the auto level sounds great for me as I don't want extra stuff in my cabin; I think it would be adjusting the truck continuously and get really annoying. As I drive in the winter all the time with 400lbs that might get annoying if I hear it every time I go into a corner or brake or accelerate.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:11 PM
erm

I don't think the self-adjusting kit changes air levels just because you go over a bump or around the corner. It responds to variance in the load you are carrying. So no worries there.

I like the kit you found. Pretty much plug and play, set and forget. Nice.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The Air Lift kits are good kits. For what you're looking to haul, you already have posted what I'd recommend. I'd say get the single controler not the dual, since you're not gonna be trying to balance a top heavy bed mounted camper or anything. The on-board compressor is awesome, I recommend them to everyone, though you CAN just plumb a line with a standard air fitting and top up at gas stations, the on-board is much more convenient, plus it's there if you need to top up any tires on the way. I don't think you'd need the auto control leveler, though as nice as it sounds, it's more than you probably need with your occasional hauling.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks...I love autoanything.com ...they have everything I want for my truck plus good prices if not the best prices(combined with customer service, free ground delivery). Really cant beat it.

EDIT:Yes I actually posted the dual controller link but I will get the single if I get it. I know the auto adjust is kind of overkill a little bit but I dont want gauges or switches in my cabin. I want it to look like its not really there but there when you need it. Hopefully you understand what im saying by that. I can have what I listed above(just singe control not dual as you stated I don't need that) shipped to my door for $468.27. I used a LOYALTY code to get 15% off. Thats not a bad price for a fully automatic self leveling air system. I know an ART(Air Ride Technologies) kit for my 91 firebird was about $2000 and it was not self leveling or anything like that.

Last edited by LSxFBODYgen3; 11-27-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, can't complain about that price, and I agree with you about AutoAnything. Between them, stylintrucks, and my local guy, I get the best prices and service anywhere; just wish I could get free shipping... doesn't work to Canada. I even have a great local lighting guy through Darren at Whiplashauto.com
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

I got four 3/8 valves, 3/8 lines, and 3/8 in to 1/4 out reducers. I getting ready to do the air-lift kit for stock height rams (mine is flipped...lowered, but the distance from leaf pack to frame is the same and thats the two mounting points...so I am not getting the lowered truck kit) I am doin a gauge that shows dual pressure (right and left) w/ 2 switches and I have a small compressor and 1g tank.
This will allow me to raise and lower the rear under load, learn the pressure I need for a particular load ie..boat in my case. Also if I got a leak somehow, I can watch it and adjust on the road w/o pulling over to a gas station every few miles to air-up.
You dont need the high priced kits, its very simple to do air ride (thus all the thug kids in mini trucks)and by doin it this way I'll have 2/3 retail in mine as buying the kit and I'll have more versatility and flexibility.
but that's just how I do things....like Sinatra, I do it my way!

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha