DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Recalls and TSB's.

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Ram QC 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT OFF ROAD
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
Kens04 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear end shake at take off

When I take off and turning even slightly below 15mph my rear end has a shake. There is a TSB for this and one guy on another site had fixed his. Its an issue with the driveshaft, carrier bearing being slightly misaligned. I feel like I cant get on it when I want to or my u-joint may break. I started a thread a few days ago and maybe I was in the wrong section but still have had no replies. Im trying to find someone that has fixed this themselves and might be able to offer a little support before I dive into this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first dodge and I like it a lot but I wont tolerate issues like these for very long, its a truck and should be solid.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

I've never heard of this issue from anyone here before. If there's a TSB on it, why not talk with your dealer service department? Mine's pretty good about checking for TSB's on my rigs when I bring them in for service. Do you have the TSB number? Post it up...I may be able to find it online and read up on it.

I'm guessing here that you have an LSD (limited slip differential) which has a set of clutches inside, kind of like the old GM "Posi-Trac" differentials, which lock up both axles and all it needs is some special lube. Service interval on the GM differentials with this type of issue was every 6K miles.

I'm not sure if this is a mechanical problem, i.e. something that requires a bearing or u-joint check out.

Try this...in a straight line backup slowly...no brakes...do you feel the shudder then too?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Yes its got the LSD, at work now so I cant try in reverse but backing slowly or even going straight I dont feel it or its so slight ive never noticed, its only during turning even slightly and the harder I gas it in the turn the harder it shakes. Going straight I can nail it and nothing. Here is the info. you requested. Thanks
The TSB is 03-003-04. I found this at http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/03-003-04.htm it says for models 2003-2004 (DR) Ram Truck...no clue what the DR means. But what is described there is exactly what I am experiancing.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

ahhh...it's a pinion angle problem. Unless you have the special tool (inclinometer) I'd take this info to your local dealer and talk real nice to them about performing the TSB.

Basically, they are going to decrease the pinion angle to get rid of the vibration. This is a good thing as the angle will, for the most part, remain constant. A vibration means something is not aligned properly. This will cause a premature bearing or u-joint failure.

Most dealers, if you approach them properly, will take care of it at no cost even if you don't have warranty left on your vehicle.

One key message to deliver is that you don't feel safe driving the vehicle as you are concerned the component will fail and potentially cause an accident.

See what they can do for you.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Interesting , thanks for the info . Good to know .
Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM

I will be contacting the dealer today. I didnt purchase the vehicle from them but cant hurt to try right. Plus my girlfriends brother and his wife work at the local Dodge dealer so Im going to try and contact him before talking to anyone. I will keep you all posted.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Here's the TSB

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/03-003-04.htm
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 AM

Vehicle: 4 trucks
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:17
pwrwgnman is on a distinguished road

My 96 did that and eventually got chrysler to replace the drive shaft, the hanger bearing was not positioned right and would put the pinion in a bad angle on take off, there was a tsb on it and the dealer knew but gave me the run around, they ended up cutting out one of the cross members out and then the dealer put in a driveshaft with what looks like a harmonic balancer on it...
new driveshaft 600.00
letter from lawyer 300.00
makin the dealer fix it PRICELESS lol