DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Crewcab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMeister is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
My 2010 has the camera and it works no problems. just follow the instructions particularly the cavity in the harness
Thanks CRASH!
Weird since I posted the question I called a DODGE dealer parts room. The guy said he didn't think it would work because when my VIN was entered into his system, the item did not show as compatible. He then actually pulled the part from the shelf, looked at it and the camera/latch setup and concluded that in his opinion, it wouldn't work.

Glad you had success, now I just need to find a good DODGE vendor to order from...
Thanks again CRASH!
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

That IS strange because the lock has nothing to do with the camera. it just taps into the lock and unlock curcuits in the tpim. if you follow Irocks step by step it really is quite simple to install. My only issue was my wire colors were not the same as the instructions but the cavity the wire went to in the harness plug was the same.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

This means you are going to need to know which cavity/ wire is for your door lock and unlock on the 2011
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Crewcab
Color: Black/Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
RAMeister is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
This means you are going to need to know which cavity/ wire is for your door lock and unlock on the 2011
The parts guy seemed to think that the bracketing to the tailgate latch would interfere or somehow block the mounting of the locking mechanism.

The PDF linked above provides the cavity numbers for the 2011.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 AM

no the bracket attaches with rivets and fits over the lock so your key will still lock the tailgate if you wish, though why you'd ever do that again when a push of the power lock button locks/unlocks it for you. look at the pic at the start of the thread then compare to your latch inside your tailgate. unless they radically changed the 11 it should work perfect for you
Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:65
deepblue will become famous soon enough

I like this one; I'm always going back and locking the tailgate manually when I've picked a few things up I don't want to get stolen while running around town. Nice and easy piece of mind.

-cc
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
gwidener350z is on a distinguished road

Great thread! Just installed my own kit, purchased aftermarket actuator and did a DIY install, http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=77103. This thread saved me about $100.00, LOVE this site.

Greg
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

great step by step -
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram SLT Regular Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
sussmd is on a distinguished road
Default Power Tailgate Lock 2011 RAM 1500 Reg Cab

I greatly appreciated this thread and all the pictures. It saved me a lot of grief. I bought my kit for my 2011 RAM 1500 Regular Cab SLT from a Dodge Dealer in Brookfield, WI via the net for $98.11 plus shipping. It fit perfectly but of course the wiring diagram was from a 2010 and was wrong! But I knew I was in trouble because even the 2011 instructions from the net kept referring to the rear doors... but alas I have none since it is a regular cab. I called the dealer in WI and the parts guy gave me the wire colors for the passenger door which I verified with a test light (one end to ground the other to to the terminal) then hit unlock or lock depending which wire and the test light should flash for a second. The only way to test it is with the C5 & C6 plugs connected so I used an upholstery needle inserted along side the wire and and alligator clip with a wire to the test light and the other end of the test light to ground. Its really nice to check before cutting!!! I even patched in the two wires to the proper wires on the gate lock solenoid with the above needles and hooray! the lock worked! Make sure it unlocks with the unlock button and locks with the lock button.

THE FRONT PASSENGER UNLOCK IS ON C5 PLUG (BROWN) THE WIRE IS TAN WITH BROWN STRIPE (looked black to me) AND GOES TO THE RED WIRE.
THE FRONT PASSENGER LOCK IS ON C6 PLUG (GRAY) THE WIRE IS LIGHT GREEN WITH A GRAY STRIPE (surprisingly it is a little thicker than the C5 wire) AND GOES TO THE BLACK WIRE.

To connect the wires since the compression clip they supply is useless... I had a heat-gun activated marine connector from Boat Owners Warehouse.
The blue size worked fine, it has solder in the center and adhesive heat shrink covering that is about two inches long. Heat it with a good heat gun on high, the solder melts and the wires are bonded and the clear heat shrink seals it. I'm told that these connectors are used for hooking up boat trailer wires and really seal out the moisture with a solder bond.

I hope this helps anyone trying to do the install on a 2011 regular cab two door model. J.S.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 06 1500 Bighorn Hemi
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:25
Marty0091 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Marty0091

My pace edwards powergate will be here on tuesday, your guide will be very helpful