DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Great White is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Upgrade from 4.7 to BIGGER

My 02 Ram 4.7 engine has 50K miles on it and is misfiring on piston #5. Mechanic charged me $700 to fix and within a week it started doing it again. Dealer said I need a new cam and rocker arm and follower, etc, etc for $1200.00.
Warranty just expired cuz they said it was 7 yrs or 100,000 miles. I thought it was 10 yrs when I bought this truck new from the lot. Anyway, I'm looking for a shop in Houston that can replace it with a different engine altogether.
Maybe a 426 Stroker or 6.1 or Anything but a 4.7.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I suspect there's more to this story than you're being told. What repair was performed last time? The 4.7 is a good motor but they are prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves, particularly around cylinders 3,4,5,&6. If you haven't tried to decarbon the valves and intake, I'd do that. I assume your PCM is showing a P0305 stored. Are there any other codes?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Also, check my post on goodwill warranty repairs in the Recalls and TSB section.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I was also told that my 02 4.7 had a 10 year warranty when I bought it new...I found out the same thing you did when it was 7 yrs 8 months old with 81K miles and died on me.
Yours sounds similar to what mine did after I had to repair a head. Like Remerson228 says you need to decarbon your motor. It probably has a valve sticking causing the rocker arm to fall off because of the way it's normally held in place. Let us know if you get a 426 stuffed in there. I had considered the same thing myself.
As far as the Chrysler goodwill policy, I sure wish I lived closer to Johnson City. I absolutely refuse to let the local dealership touch my truck.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM

If carbon buildup is to blame, there's no guarantee that a decarbon procedure will fix it. Sometimes the carbon is just too thick for it to work, but it's definately worth a try. I recommend the Mopar brand cleaner p/n 04318001AC. Follow the directions on the can - I typically let one sit for about an hour instead of the 10 minutes or so it recommends before i drive it.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I suspect there's more to this story than you're being told. What repair was performed last time? The 4.7 is a good motor but they are prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves, particularly around cylinders 3,4,5,&6. If you haven't tried to decarbon the valves and intake, I'd do that. I assume your PCM is showing a P0305 stored. Are there any other codes?
Thats the only code.
The previous repair was the rocker arm falling off, so he replaced the rocker arm and cam follower. Truck ran ok for bout a week then started missing again.
Another mechanic said the valve might be bent. Another mech told me to buy a new engine cause if I fix this one, I will still have problems in the future.
My truck still looks, smells and rides like new. Too bad the engine is crap at only 51K miles. Very upset that this is going hurt my pocket....
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM

There are no rocker arms on the 4.7, just cam followers. A bent valve is easily verified with a differential pressure (leak down) test. Sounds to me like the original mechanic misdiagnosed it. A bent valve would have not allowed the engine to run right for that first week. I've replaced a few bent valves in the 3.7 and 4.7 engines and they're still on the road to this day. A bent valve, IF that's what it is, is hardly grounds for trashing the motor. If you're gonna go that route, I want that engine for my Dakota! What needs to happen is the engine needs a proper diagnosis and repair estimate before you pull it out. I still say to give the decarbon procedure a try and see if there's any improvement.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
There are no rocker arms on the 4.7, just cam followers. A bent valve is easily verified with a differential pressure (leak down) test. Sounds to me like the original mechanic misdiagnosed it. A bent valve would have not allowed the engine to run right for that first week. I've replaced a few bent valves in the 3.7 and 4.7 engines and they're still on the road to this day. A bent valve, IF that's what it is, is hardly grounds for trashing the motor. If you're gonna go that route, I want that engine for my Dakota! What needs to happen is the engine needs a proper diagnosis and repair estimate before you pull it out. I still say to give the decarbon procedure a try and see if there's any improvement.
Yeah, i got tired of all the havoc on this thing, so I just dropped it off at the local Stealership to see what they are going to do besides charge me an arm and a leg to correct the problem. If they want me to spend $6 Grand+ to fix, i'll just find someone in Texas to drop a big block or something else more dependable/stronger in it.
Thanks for the info on the Goodwill Warranty. I hope they will let me do something like that.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM

What strikes me as kind of sad is that there aren't enough techs in the independent sector who know the basics, like how do perform a leak down test to check for a valve that's stuck open. People often gripe about dealership prices, but there's a reason we're higher. We have brand specific training and factory support, not to mention the hundreds of special tools required to do a job right. I know not every tech in every dealership is ASE and Chrysler level 4 across the board, but we generally are better where our brands are concerned. I also know that there are people in dealerships who are not always straight up, but you risk that anywhere. If you find a particular dealership or tech that you trust and does a good job at a decent price, stick with them.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I've seen some dealerships hire some real winners . Thats what gives some of these dealerships bad reputations . Poor quality workmanship .