DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
midcap is on a distinguished road
Default Oil change observation

Hey guys, I just changed my oil on my truck for the first time. That stock filter was a pain to remove, they sure put it on tight at the factory. I had 3705 original miles on my truck when I just changed the oil. the oil looked pretty worn and smelled worn also. Just putting a heads up out there. I know the manual says not until 8K, but I am glad I did sooner. My daily PSA for you guys.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcap View Post
Hey guys, I just changed my oil on my truck for the first time. That stock filter was a pain to remove, they sure put it on tight at the factory. I had 3705 original miles on my truck when I just changed the oil. the oil looked pretty worn and smelled worn also. Just putting a heads up out there. I know the manual says not until 8K, but I am glad I did sooner. My daily PSA for you guys.
It's a new engine. Honestly, like the other 99% of us have done, the oil should be changed at 1000 miles, then again at around 2000-3000, lastly at 4500-5000, and then regularly as you want after that. To "break it in". These trucks aren't broken in from the factory. When you buy it brand new and turn the key you are getting oil into the engine for the first time yourself. The first few miles should be driven carefully and with resolve as lubrication is taking place for the first time. Letting the oil get into everything. That is most likely the cause for your really mucky looking and smelling oil after 3000 miles brand new with no change
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

I have 1100 miles on mine......going in tomorrow before heading south to Seattle for the weekend.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012
Color: black
midcap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
It's a new engine. Honestly, like the other 99% of us have done, the oil should be changed at 1000 miles, then again at around 2000-3000, lastly at 4500-5000, and then regularly as you want after that. To "break it in". These trucks aren't broken in from the factory. When you buy it brand new and turn the key you are getting oil into the engine for the first time yourself. The first few miles should be driven carefully and with resolve as lubrication is taking place for the first time. Letting the oil get into everything. That is most likely the cause for your really mucky looking and smelling oil after 3000 miles brand new with no change

Is there a sticky I missed? I plan on changing the oil out after putting 5k since I messed up the whole break in procedure as you mentioned. I put penzoil ultra syn when I changed it.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:-5
jgos929 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
Well thats simply not true. Every engine is started and ran as a part of the QC process. You think when the delivery truck shows up to the dealer to deliver the trucks they're all pushed to where they're gonna be parked? No they're driven. Very very rarely will you ever by a brand new vehile that has exactly 000000.0 miles on it. But even if you do trust me it's been started before.

Just to stay on subject, I did my first oil change at 500 miles and went to full synthetic Penzoil Platinum. I now have 5700 miles on it and will be changing it again this weekend. The filter was a complete PIA to get off the first time and it's in a very odd spot. It wont be near as bad this next time around.

Last edited by jgos929; 07-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcap View Post
This is the VERY reason I've ALWAYS changed my engine oil IMMEDIATELY after bringing vehicles home from the dealership. You have NFC how long that engine oil's been sitting in that vehicle. People get obsessed about mileage consumed on the oil in the vehicle, but [almost] always neglect the fact that even though the odometer could read for example 12miles, that oil could have been sitting in there for many, many month. Not good.

Sitting near motionless drained motor oil is almost always worse than, and will look worse than, high mileage motor oil that's been drained.

Grub out!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well thats simply not true. Every engine is started and ran as a part of the QC process. You think when the delivery truck shows up to the dealer to deliver the trucks they're all pushed to where they're gonna be parked? No they're driven. Very very rarely will you ever by a brand new vehile that has exactly 000000.0 miles on it. But even if you do trust me it's been started before.
Exactly. All newer vehicle engines ARE broken in(before installed) to help rid the issues associated with improper break in procedures. It is also for QC as mentioned above. The way you drive the vehicle for the first 1,000-5,000 miles does have an effect on how the engine will continue to be broken in, but the majority of this has already been done with the engine on a stand. It's also not necessarily "better" to drive easier than harder to break an engine in. You want to drive "normal" and also cover all variations of driving habits to break it in properly.

I would still change the oil immediately(with conventional oil, not synthetic). Conventional oil works much better for break in. Do it again after a few thousand miles. Then do it as you normally would want(and I'd go to synthetic). Cheap insurance if you ask me, although not REQUIRED, it should play a small role in improving engine performance and longevity.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I changed my oil & filter at 3,000 miles the first time
then every 3,000 miles after that until i changed over to synthetic oil
Now i do it around 5,000 miles
i just did it today after 3,000, but i am about to drive across country & i just did it early

When the vehicle rolls off the assembly line someone drives it to the huge parking/shipping lot, it does not stay there for long
Then either a truck driver loads it on the transport, or someone drives it over to the railroad staging area
Or if it needs a spray in liner, mudflaps, nerf bars, bed rails, etc. it is taken to the outside vendor, either driven or by semi truck
If it needs a repair, flat tires, broken window, dents, etc. it goes to another place
Then it either goes by railroad or truck to the dealership & is driven again & again
Today i saw two salesmen jump in a Ram & drive to lunch, i noticed it because i was walking around the sales lot & one of the guys was asked to get the VIN number, so that they could find the keys, then they drove off the lot
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:143
Edokdyshi will become famous soon enoughEdokdyshi will become famous soon enough

Did mine at the first 1,000 miles and will do it again this weekend at 5,000. Switched to synthetic on the first change.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Black Pearl
blackram12 is on a distinguished road

I changed mine at 2k and the factory filter was a joke. It was so tight that my wrench caved in a few sides of the filter.

Here is also something to look at.....I bought a factory Mopar filter to put back on it since advance auto was closed. The seal on the factory filter is very loose. When I installed the filter it was just luck that I ran my hand across the top to try and make sure it had sealed to the engine when I felt the seal pinched. I had to take it back off and the seal was junked. So at 11:30pm I had to go back to Wal-Mart and I ended up with a Bosch filter. I couldn't get the seal to come loose in it so thats what I bought.

But just a heads up, the mopar filters seal pretty much falls out when you rake your finger across it. 899 is the part number.