DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold
Default Need Assistance...

In shop, we've had lots of representatives from tech schools come to talk to us about their programs. I am VERY interested. UTI was there today and the rep was the friendliest out of all of them. I gave him my information and he said he'd notify me.

I talked to my parents. Dad totally disagreed with the idea and said he wants me to go to college. Mom said do what you want, go to the tech school if its your passion.

I love working on cars. Tinkering with things and what not. I think it would be a great idea. Only downside is that the closest campus is in Sacramento. 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a year is all it takes then i'm off in the real world.

Any guys in the mechanic field that can fill me in on how they got there and how they feel about it now?

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Neighbor of ours went through it. I went and toured the campus near us and then talked to him about it.

He talked me out of it. Said there was a lot better schools for WAY less money out there.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I dreamed of being a mechanic since I was a kid. But made the mistake of listening to my Father. Back then schools like UTI didn't exist so it was find a good shop and learn via OJT.

My advice is follow your dreams and passion. They make the difference between a job and a career.

Check with the local dealerships service managers, not the advisors and ask them what they think regarding who gives the best training and the potential for employment after graduation.

If you want to get into high end racing stuff most of the mechanics on the NASCAR circuit are engineers, at least that's what I've read. I think the same goes for NHRA.

College is beneficial because it opens doors but we in the US have a bad habit of forcing our kids to go to college when they don't even know what they want to go to college to learn.

Another option is joining the military and getting some training and experience there. You can pick your field and also get money for college when you get out via the GI Bill. If you decide to check into the military, remember the recruiters do NOT lie, but they will only answer questions you ask. So, feel free to ask away about what you should be asking them.

Ok, off my soap box.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

What about Wyotech??
Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:637
sk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to allsk8noregon is a name known to all

I regret not following through with my decision to go to WyoTech. May not be the best but it had just the right cources for me as they cover almost every aspect. I was going to enroll in the main Mechanics program then do the Custom Fabrication and Upholstery classes that are optional. Not sure if UTI offers those but they didn't at the time I was considering. Do what your passionate about or you will probably regret it. I know I do. I can do a lot of different areas in automotive because I love experimenting and learning but without that degree it's hard to get your foot through a door. Good Luck !
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I would give it a go. A one year program is not as much time/money as a college degree, and if you find you do not enjoy it, you CAN leave. I would rather have found out that I didn't like my program a year in, rather than the 3.5 yrs it took me to start loathing my engineering program. Plus, if you don't enjoy doing it professionally, you'll have the skills to tinker yourself, on a much better level.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Wyotech, bates, and Lincoln also were interesting to me. Unfortunately NONE of them are in state. UTI had the most down to earth rep. Out of all presentations he made me want to go there the most.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

I was in the same boat as you. I actually went to college for a bit, but didn't like it all. My dad has always discouraged me from UTI, saying I wouldn't be successful. I wish I just would have gone. I can still go, it's just a lot harder now that I'm on my own living with a room mate. If you really enjoy cars, I would go.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab / 3.92 rear end
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Rep:917
Big Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to beholdBig Daddy is a splendid one to behold

Listen to your mom and dad's advice and carefully consider what they both say. Then make up your own mind and follow your dreams. At the end of the day you are the one living your life. There's an old saying that a man that truly enjoy's his job never works a day in his life. If you want to be an automotive technician then go for it. You're still young enough that you can change career paths several times without much trouble if you get into something and decide it's really not for you.

Also, I want to second what Root Beer says about considering the military (Army!). His post says it very well and I can't add anything to it. Go back and and re-read it then really think about what what you could learn, and experience while serving.

Good luck at whatever you decide.

Marching to Mamasita's beat for a real real long time...

Dennis
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

A if I had a chance to do it over , I'd consider going to college . I never went off to any type of school like Wyotech or UTI . I'm pretty much self taught . I have been to several day/week long courses . Worked hand and hand with some of the better wrenches around . I have one of the more exclusive inventory of hand tools/diagnostic equipment you could ever dream of , but it's all at a cost . My hand tools and tool boxes are well in excess of $125,000 and thats not including the shop equipment that I purchased when I had my shop . You work in the sunlight in 100 degree days and in shops that aren't heated real well in the winter . Sometimes the moneys great , sometimes not . If you're a flat rate mechanic , no work in the shop/no money . Depending on what you take in college , you could be working in as climate controlled office making the same if not more than what a decent mechanic could make . Wrenching is also tough on the body . Being bent over a fender for hours on end lifting 60 lb cylinder heads . Lower back pain , smashed and cut fingers , etc... It's awesome being a mechanic . Being able to fix your own vehicles , family and friends . Every year the manufacturers come out with something new that requires some new tool or gadget . You'll have to buy it eventually if you want to stay current . You can only borrow your buddies for awhile . Then you have to worry about lending your stuff and getting it back in working order . It's alot . If you want to be a wrench best thing I can tell ya , get hooked up with someone who knows their stuff . Theres nothing any better than learning from someone whos got the experience and who's been doing it for years . If your gonna persue this , look at the electrical aspect of it . Anyone with some smarts can turn a wrench . But being able to trace out a electrical problem thats where the money is . You can pretty much name your price . If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout .

Last edited by Toms Blue Ram 1500; 01-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.