DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM BigHorn 2500 HEMI,
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
pduff1 is on a distinguished road
Default Used Ram.... best years/engines etc?

Hi All,

Just joined up and wanted to say hello. Been a Dodge man from the day I bought my first car................... 1965 Dodge Monaco! ...long gone.

Now looking to increase the stable to include a used Dodge Ram and need the advice of your experts here!

I want to buy a 3/4t 4-door Ram 4x4, (used), preferably diesel. Between 2000 and 2007, is there years that are better than others? What should I look for or be aware of? I know this isn't new but I want the latest take from you all!

Thanks in advance!

-Phil in AZ
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I personally would stick with the later models . They made the motors quieter , more powerful , and I think if you were to buy an older one you would be buying one that has definitely been run hard .
Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of '06 Cummins running around in the oil patch. They're reliable for the most part, all depends on the driver of course; As for things to look for, basically look for the standard things, leaks from diffs/seals, find out if they did gear changes, that kind of thing. Have the tranny checked out too, they are a bit of a weak point with the torque from the Cummins.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I see a lot of '06 Cummins running around in the oil patch. They're reliable for the most part, all depends on the driver of course; As for things to look for, basically look for the standard things, leaks from diffs/seals, find out if they did gear changes, that kind of thing. Have the tranny checked out too, they are a bit of a weak point with the torque from the Cummins.
My '08 Ram 3500 is a piece of junk. Can't wait until I pay it off, I'll pick up the new 2011 Super Duty that's coming out with a new Ford designed and built PowerStroke diesel. Mind you, I do put it through it's paces and even go beyond what the manufacturer specs are for towing, hauling and everything else between. But then again I do the same with my Ram 1500 and that thing is more reliable than I ever imagined it to be. Gotta love the Hemi. I hate the Cummins.

If I were to recommend any Ram, I'd say just make sure it has a Hemi. 4x4, Crew Cab and all that other stuff you can get anywhere else. But if it has a Hemi then you're already done good for yourself.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black/Silver stripes
Rep:134
TenneSST will become famous soon enoughTenneSST will become famous soon enough

For this one guy that hates his Cummins, I can show you 25 that had a Powerstroke they hate. They all tell me the Powerstroke isn't in the same class as the Cummins. I had one with over 500,000k miles (know of several others) on it and know of a couple with over 1 million miles. ALL of the newer diesels have problems with the DPF junk. Get a pre-2007 Cummins if you are looking for a diesel. I happen to love the old 12 valve trucks (before 1998.5) for simplicity and easy power.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
erm

2006 seems to be the best year according to some general contractor friends of mine. They hate the new engine controls and emissions equipment put on the 2007's and up, saying that the engines are down on power and expensive to keep up compared to the 2006's.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM BigHorn 2500 HEMI,
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
pduff1 is on a distinguished road

All good suggestions! Looked at an '06 with a HEMI last weekend... How "bad" is the gas mileage on a HEMI???
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
My '08 Ram 3500 is a piece of junk. Can't wait until I pay it off, I'll pick up the new 2011 Super Duty that's coming out with a new Ford designed and built PowerStroke diesel. Mind you, I do put it through it's paces and even go beyond what the manufacturer specs are for towing, hauling and everything else between. But then again I do the same with my Ram 1500 and that thing is more reliable than I ever imagined it to be. Gotta love the Hemi. I hate the Cummins.

If I were to recommend any Ram, I'd say just make sure it has a Hemi. 4x4, Crew Cab and all that other stuff you can get anywhere else. But if it has a Hemi then you're already done good for yourself.
I'm curious - I assume you have the 6.7L engine? What issues are you having with it and how do you use the truck?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Back to the original issue. I'm partial to the '06 with the 5.9L H.O. Cummins and G-56 6 speed manual transmission.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM

The big problem we at the dealership are seeing with the 6.7 is not so much cause by the design of the engine, but rather the owners/operators. This engine can NOT be operated like the older diesels which didn't fall under the governments regulations for emissions control. The worst thing you can do to this motor is idle it for more than 10-15 minutes. Soot accumulates in the EGR, Turbo, O2 sensors, and particulate filter. Other brands are having similar issues, so Cummins isn't alone in this department. The second worst thing you can do with the 6.7 is not work it. I wish I had a dime for every customer I've encountered that uses his 6.7 for a daily driving status symbol. The 6.7 is designed to work hard in a certain rpm range. The PCM stores information on the time spent in various RPM bands so we can tell how the truck is operated, and yes, if you lie to us we're going to know it. Also, the 6.7 requires ultra low sulpher fuel for clean operation. A prime example is a customer brought his in for the MIL being on and reduced power. I checked the timers and found that 40% of the engine run time was spent under 1000 RPM. In other words, he had the truck idling nearly 40% of the time it was running! Aside from the problems he was creating, imagine the cost of the fuel he wasted.

If you have a 6.7, run it hard, use the engine brake even when you aren't loaded from time to time, and don't let it idle for extended periods.