DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:16
972500V8 is on a distinguished road
Default Running Rough Issue

I have a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9(360) Gasser.

Question:
I went this morning and turned it on and proceeded to wipe the snow of my windows, got back in and took off, drove fine for about 5-10 minutes then as i was waiting at a stop sign it just started running rough, it almost sounds like a diesel. If i through it in Neutral it idles better but not the same as before. I got to work and shut it off, and it fired right back up no problems or hesitation, and actually sound a little better, but after a slight rev i noticed it was still rough.

I scanned it for codes and got 2 codes the first time, both related to the O2 sensor and then i cleared them and ran the truck and it seemed a bit better but not the same as it was, after driving for a little while i stopped and scanned again and got 1 code. P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit, Bank1-Sensor2 High Voltage

Now before everyone says thats got to be it, keep in mind that my O2 sensors been popping that code since i bought the truck last year, i know i need to replace it regardless, but is it possible that the cold weather threw it off completely or that is completely crapped out on me now, or do you think its something else?

Also the truck runs rough but still runs, when i throttle it, it DOESN'T fall on itself, it goes but you can feel it not working at full potential. If you put it in neutral and rev it, it sounds normal but you can feel the hesitation from the engine in the peddle. It almost feels like a multiple miss fire, but im not popping codes for it. Could my plugs be fouled out and causing this but my computers cant see that its miss firing.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

Hey . Im not sure what to tell you. I had somewhat of a simillar incedent but with a chev. truck. It was a 1989. Started to run rough,reved it better than just got worse. It ended up being one of my injectors on the throttle body. I took the breather off and i could see a nice spray on one and shitty on the other. I went to order one and a buddy told me to take the two out test them clean em and see if they were bad. It was a .89 cent o ring that was the problem. Took them to a place that does diesels they test them and clean them and all. Im not sayin this is your problem. Just a thought.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones64 View Post
Hey . Im not sure what to tell you. I had somewhat of a simillar incedent but with a chev. truck. It was a 1989. Started to run rough,reved it better than just got worse. It ended up being one of my injectors on the throttle body. I took the breather off and i could see a nice spray on one and shitty on the other. I went to order one and a buddy told me to take the two out test them clean em and see if they were bad. It was a .89 cent o ring that was the problem. Took them to a place that does diesels they test them and clean them and all. Im not sayin this is your problem. Just a thought.
im looking into any possibility so, thanks for the info, ill check into that.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM

bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

No problem just a thought. Im not a mechanic but that was my problem. Cheap fix oring and test and cleaning both injectors at that time was i think around $20 bucks each. Far cry for a new injector over $ 200.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones64 View Post
No problem just a thought. Im not a mechanic but that was my problem. Cheap fix oring and test and cleaning both injectors at that time was i think around $20 bucks each. Far cry for a new injector over $ 200.
but if it was a bad injector, would some kinda code pop on the computer.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Probly would have. I was fortunate to have a few chevy guys at work that told me to check it out when i got home. As soon as i took the breather off and looked inside i could tell right away that was the problem.The one injecter looked like the fuel was pouring in instead of a spray. So i didnt need to take it in to the garage.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black/silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
34blazer is on a distinguished road

high voltage output from O2= extremly rich A/F mixture. the first time you pulled the codes did both sensors send a high voltage error? first thing i would do is check all the vacuum lines, including the accessory(HVAC) control valves and the PCV valve and make sure its not stuck open. if you dont have a vacuum leak somewhere, move on to testing the fuel pressure. should be ~39 psi. if that checks out, pulll the injector rail off. lift it high enough and set carboard under the injectors, unplug the ig coil from the harness. have a buddy turn the key on and make sure none of the injectors leak. if no leak, crank the engine for a second and look at the spray pattern of the injectors. if one or more spray poorly or leak, the pattern will show on the cardboard. see where that takes you and get back to us. HTH

also, if you have a bad O2 sensor it will kick the CEL on. simply put, the engine wont go into closed loop if the signal is too high on the sensor output.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Wow. See there are so many knowledgable people on this site. [I] guess i was way off.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34blazer View Post
high voltage output from O2= extremly rich A/F mixture. the first time you pulled the codes did both sensors send a high voltage error? first thing i would do is check all the vacuum lines, including the accessory(HVAC) control valves and the PCV valve and make sure its not stuck open. if you dont have a vacuum leak somewhere, move on to testing the fuel pressure. should be ~39 psi. if that checks out, pulll the injector rail off. lift it high enough and set carboard under the injectors, unplug the ig coil from the harness. have a buddy turn the key on and make sure none of the injectors leak. if no leak, crank the engine for a second and look at the spray pattern of the injectors. if one or more spray poorly or leak, the pattern will show on the cardboard. see where that takes you and get back to us. HTH

also, if you have a bad O2 sensor it will kick the CEL on. simply put, the engine wont go into closed loop if the signal is too high on the sensor output.
I know when i scanned it i got 2 codes the one i listed and another O2 senors code, but cant remember which at the moment. Also the hose that runs from the back of the air box to the valve cover is not connected. Its off on the air box end, was broken off when i bought the truck over a year ago. i also replace the PCV valve when i bought the truck but i know they can go bad, so ill check that again.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

A P0138 could indicate a catylist failure in the bank 1 converter. Give the converter a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and listen for any rattling inside.