DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Nitrous, Superchargers, or Turbochargers?
Nitrous 2 7.69%
Superchargers 14 53.85%
Turbochargers 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:91
Bobcat06 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=bones64;117668 As for nitous being a cheater///////// no ! If both racing have it.... even steven. If your racin to brag and you use it to beat someone that dosent have it... MOST DEFINATELY. [/QUOTE]

See I don't understand that, how is it that just because one person has nitrous and the other doesn't they are a cheater? So if I loose to someone who has turbos can I call them a cheater? They are both ways of getting more oxygen into the combustion chamber to make more power. How is one cheating and one is acceptable?
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:91
Bobcat06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcrazy90 View Post
im going with supercharger!! the bottle can get expensive and just doesnt look as good under the hood,turbos are awesome but i think there is alittle more of a reliable issue!!
but if gave to me,i will take any of them!!!!!!
What do you mean nitrous can get expensive? It is one of the cheapest forms of big horsepower out there.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Supercharger Hands Down.

I know this is a stang but listen to that...

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat06 View Post
What do you mean nitrous can get expensive? It is one of the cheapest forms of big horsepower out there.
Initally it's much cheaper. I guess it depends on how much you use it in the long run though. The up side to the bottle is the fact it's easy to transplant from one vehicle to another.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

Boost, anytime you need the bottle it will be empty...trust me...I ran N20 for ages....the amount you eventually have in refills you coulda bought boost and used it 10x more.
I love boost, I have had a bunch of boosted cars, and it is addictive. My current "boosted" car is a real handful on spool up....every time i smile.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'm inclined to think that boost is a better choice for the street, but for cost efficiency at the track, the bottle is hard to beat. I have to admit that I like all the power adders, but I do think some are better in certain situations. Seeing that you have a GN, I can certainly see why you love boost so much. You should post some pics and stats for us!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
Dan is on a distinguished road

I've always liked superchargers.

I don't like turbochargers very much- the sounds they make get on my nerves. Part of it is the spooling up and winding down that isn't quite in sync with the engine, and there's very few sounds that bug me more than a loud blow off valve.
That being said, I know there are turbo setups that don't make quite so much of that noise, and there are certainly applications where I'd want a turbo, hands down. They're perfect for things like boats and airplanes (piston planes, obviously) where you'll be at a fairly constant throttle setting. And I think the things that Lingenfelter does to Corvettes with their twin turbo packages is pretty amazing.

Can't deny that Nitrous Oxide would be fantastic on a drag strip as long as it's set up properly, but this is by far my least favorite of the three. Part of it is that I want whatever I'm driving to put out the same amount of power (or at least pretty close) every time I put my foot down, as long as I have gasoline in the tank. There are also a ton of misconceptions about the stuff, particularly in pop culture, thanks in part to movies like The Fast and the Furious. I've had to explain more times than I'd care to remember how Nitrous Oxide is neither flammable nor explosive.

So there are good applications for all three, but for a vehicle that I'm gonna drive on the street, I'd prefer a supercharger.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram RC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:71
Get Bit will become famous soon enough

^^^ agreed! I enjoy my S/C'd Corvette ZO6. Makes great power with just 8psi and it is always there.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM

I feel your pain, Dan. I don't know what makes people think N20 is a fuel. It's an oxidizer, people! In the end, it does the same thing a blower or turbo does - it puts more oxygen in the cylinder except it's done chemically and not mechanically. When I drag raced a few years ago, our ET's became more consistent when we used it because we were esentially creating our own atmosphere.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I feel your pain, Dan. I don't know what makes people think N20 is a fuel. It's an oxidizer, people! In the end, it does the same thing a blower or turbo does - it puts more oxygen in the cylinder except it's done chemically and not mechanically. When I drag raced a few years ago, our ET's became more consistent when we used it because we were esentially creating our own atmosphere.
that's pretty interesting stuff- never thought about how N2O could increase consistency