DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Rockstar 414 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem with my 03 , no heat on the drivers side and heat on the passenger side . When you say flush the heater core , do you take the top off the rad and stick a hose in there and turn it on then open then drain port in the rad to flush it ?
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

You need to flush the heater core itself. It's a mini core similar to the rad only mounted inside the heater unit under the dash. There are two hoses that run up the passenger side of the engine from the water pump area up the the heater core inlet and outlets protruding from the firewall. Disconnect both these lines and alternate running water thru each of them.

Sometimes the two lines running to/from the heater core have a plastic joint with a couple hose clamps so they are easier to pull apart and flush.

I usually run one line into a bucket and then attach a hose to the other so I can flush and catch and see what comes out of the core. Usually it's a lot of flake with a couple chunks of silicone gasket clumps.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:20
Morlow is on a distinguished road

It's good to hear someone finally found a fix for this. My '02 is having the same problem. I may have to try this fix after winter (I don't have anywhere to attempt this until March).
Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
tlvzee is on a distinguished road
Post cold driver + warm passenger = heater core (for my truck)

I just replaced the heater core in my 2002 1500 quad cab (dual zone control). I had the same problems, no heat on drivers side, warm on pass. side. My core ended up corroding and leaking out of the back side. As it turns out, the rear of the heater core was plugged and that's the side of the core that heats the driver because the dual zone system uses two independent blend doors that are split with one set above and another set below the heater core inside the HVAC box.

I suppose flushing the core might be something to try, but I knew mine had been leaking for a while. The antifreeze even soaked and degraded the foam on some of the blend and mode doors bad enough that I had to replace it with some weatherstripping from the hardware store.

Sounds like some guys are having troubles with broken blend doors and such and many of them recommend the heater treater, but everything on mine looked good, besides the core and some rotten foam.

I decided to put in a new A/C evaporator too, since it was all in there together.

I'm really glad I did it on my own. Learned a lot through the process and saved a ton of $$.

Hope this helps anyone out there with similar problems. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram 1500 quad-cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
dz1976biker is on a distinguished road

Wow seem like everyones having the same problem of having no heat on the driver side and only some heat on the passenger side. Well check this out. I've got NO heat on my passenger side and very little heat on the drivers side? And that very little heat only works on the lowest control settings. If i turn the heater up it only ends up blowing cold air. I'll turn it off, wait a few seconds and turn it on and it'll be warm again for only a few second. Again only on the drivers side. Mines a 2002 Ram 1500 4.7. I bought it a year ago with 94000 on it. Since i"ve had it I put a new motor (the old one ended up with probs cause some ******* decided to put a shitty weld in the radiator, but thats another story), and replaced the rad, thermostat, waterpump, and the place i bought it from put a new heater core in it. I did't replace any of these parts myself so I don't know the quality of how they were installed. Sounds like my problems are the same as everyone elses accept I have no heat on the passenger side and minimal heat on the drivers side. Where shall i start to fix this? Anyone have a course of action on where to start and to move on from there?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

In your case I would start by verifying that all your blend doors are connected and working properly.

It probably wouldn't hurt to backflush the heater core as well. It's not clear if the heater core was replaced before you bought the truck or after the engine was replaced but either way, it has small ports and is easily plugged by any debris in the system.

Overheating an engine loosens a ton of flake and debris from inside the block and would definitely cause this issue.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram 1500 quad-cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
dz1976biker is on a distinguished road

Ok cool. I'm going to flush the heater core first and see if I can at least get some good hot air to come out of the driver side vents. I flush and change my coolant on all my vehicles once a year anyway and it's bout due. If that works then I'll move on to them blend doors. Is that heatertreater joint really a good place to get them if needed? I'll keep posted on if i can fix this damn thing. I'm a determined SOB and I WILL FIX THIS!!!!! Imma get to it this month sometime. Preferably soon. Preciate it bud !!!