DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram 6.7 cummins
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
Joe c is on a distinguished road
Default Odd charging problem and radio goes blank ...

My 2002 ram has a charging at idle, the voltage drops when the ac is on and the headlights. It has a new alternator and the battery is good.
On a side note. I replaced the ignition switch today thinking there may be an issue there. If you turn the key to ACC the radio display goes blank so I thought it may be a bad switch..new switch and the radio still goes blank...Im at a loss here, charging systems are pretty simple ...not sure where to look now... thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1885
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I would expect to see the voltage drop at idle with that kind of load on the system. It's a little known fact that Chrysler charging systems are not designed to put more than a surface charge on the battery. They were designed to keep up with the demand on the electrical system and that's why the voltage regulators have been PCM controlled for years. You can perform a voltage drop test across the alternator wire and the vehicle grounds just to be sure you arent losing any current to a bad connection. I suspect your radio problem isn't related at this point, but I'll look at some diagrams and get back to you. I assume you have the stock head unit in place?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Its stock and I have not found any bad connections all voltage drops were nominal ...I do understand that at idle, the alternator output is low but I have never seen a vehicle that would drop the voltage below 11 volts at idle with the headlights on and defroster/ ac on...let alone what happens if the wipers, stock foglights and am pulling a trailer with its lights on also...The radio thing is so odd that I had to toss that one out there...btw...sometimes the electric windows also work when the ing. is in the acc....weird...
Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Did your new alternator come with a tag that shows the max. amperage and voltage outputs? I've seen new alternators not do what they should on occassion. What were the voltage drop numbers?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM

You should also check the plug on the back of the alternator for a bad connetion. While you're at it you can check the resistence of the dark green wire between terminal 1 at the alternator and terminal 10 on the C2 connector of the PCM and the dark blue wire between terminal 2 and terminal 25 on the C3 connector. If I'm not mistaken the DB wire should have battery voltage with the engine running. Also check the battery temp and make sure it's in place since the PCM uses that data to determine the charging rate.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Its not the alternator. but just for info, its a stock HD alternator. Unless I am wrong, they only list max output not idle output. I have not checked the amp drawl from the ac clutch but I would think that if it was high, it would blow the fuse.
BTW I have been fighting this problem for years and the dealer replaced the alternator once and I replaced it again....no luck....
It also seems to go months without the problem and then it shows up again in a bad way.
The wiring is good.
side note...I am an extra class ham radio operator so I know how to trouble shoot wiring. thats whats driving me nuts...It all looks fine...
HeLp!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM

I just checked a diagram and you windows are on the acc-run circuit, so they should work any time the key is in the acc position. Just for clarification, when you say the ignition switch, you're referring to the electrical switch itself and not the key cylinder?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM

The ignition key
Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM

I did not know that there was a temp sensor for the battery (my solar charge controller has one for my radio shack) even if the sensor was giving a false reading I dont think that it would let the voltage get that low (below 11 volts) no battery at any temp should get below 12.2 volts and thats only a 60% charge...
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Ok, you need to go inside the steering column covers and inspect the electrical switch and pay particular attention to the connector as these sometimes get loose and heat up causing the switch and pins to melt. The red and the pink/black should have battery voltage at all times. The black/white wire should have battery power when in the acc-run position. Yellow should be hot only in the start position. Dark blue should be hot in the run-start position. Black/orange should be hot only in the run position. The two 22 gauge wires are for the key-in sense, so those shouldnt be an issue, but if you're key-in chime isn't working, that could be an indicator of a switch problem.