DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
mrafindley is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Core

Maybe this is not the place to post this but I just did a heater core in my 2003 quad cab and this has got to be the easiest one I have ever put in. I was scared because I heard nite mares about them but had it out and in in about 6 hours. Plus I got to clean up years of dust in the dash area. I should have spent a little more time cleaning the heater box cause it still spells like anti freeze and fogs the windows a little but that should go away with time.
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Crucial is on a distinguished road

So whats your tricks for getting it done so quick? Everything I have read talks about needing a whole weekend to get it done. Did you have the service manual and follow the steps or did you just start taking things apart as you needed to?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

mrafindley is on a distinguished road

There was a forum on here that i followed also googled it and found good info on it. I did mine and it was very cold outside but was really easy
drop the column
remove radio
remove the outer covers on dash
get the bolts out the dash lays forward then the whole heater core box is right in front of you take the hoses loose and the clip that holds it and swap the cores out.

I started mine at 8 in the morning cleaned every piece with son of a gun and simple green before putting it back together. got it done went to wal-mart for groceries and was home by10 that night for real it was not hard

just spend a little extry time to clean the anti freeze out of the box after all if you unplug the wires you can take the whole thing inside to the tub and was it out.

Don't forget you must discharge your a/c so do not do that the farm boy way inside the garage.

google it there are very good pics of all the bolts out there
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Made good time doing it . I think the last one I did was about 8 hours start to finish .
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

D^mn! Just did one on an Explorer, took 45min, start to finish. Hope my Ram doesn't go anytime soon!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Crucial is on a distinguished road

I ended up doing mine this weekend. All told it probably took 7 hours at a leisurely pace including lunch. It's not really that bad of a job. Just a lot of tedious disassembly. I did clean out the hvac box of all the leaves and crap too. Only managed to break 2 plastic clips that I epoxied back on. The top panel by the windshield is made out of some pretty brittle plastic. It was already developing some cracks so I epoxied them too.