DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
RocKstArDoDge is on a distinguished road
Default LOTS of newbie question about tires and lifting!!! PLEASE HELP

I did a quaick search but didnt come up with much. Iv been an avid car guy for a while now. Turbo hondas and my 350z are the current rides aside from my ram. I know those kinds of cars like the back of my hand but im in the dark with my ram. Its a 1998 dodge ram sport. I drive it every day with the occasional offraoding. For that reason im going mostly for looks but it has to still be able to hold its own in the woods. Sorry if these questions have been beat to death before, I have my flame suite on. well heres goes.

1) whats the biggest size tire i can go with before i need to worry about gears?

2) I bought the truck with a rubber thing in the front springs. Kid says it was to level it off. When i buy a lift kit should i remove it or leave it on there to keep it all level ?

3) Iv done all the suspenion on all my cars. Obviously its a lot different going up than it is down. Iv done all the struts and springs and adjustable front and rear controll arms with no problems. Will I be able to install a lift myself ??? It seems to be the same as what i have done before but just want to know.

4) How do i decide what kind of tires I want ? Is there somthing to look for ? I want that really aggresive look but the tires have to be able to last a long time on the streets since thats most of my driving.

5) Im looking at a top gun customs lift kit. What do you think of this kit ? If I get this kit and want to go higher in the future can I just add onto it or will I have to replace it ?

http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...iview=53702626

If anyone has a pictures of a ram with a 5 inch lift kit and 35's that would be greatly appreciated so i can get a general idea.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: None
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:114
canuckboy will become famous soon enoughcanuckboy will become famous soon enough

Hey there.... well first off a little heat to test your suit.... SEARCH THE FORUM & POST A PIC OF YOUR TRUCK !!!!

Ok, So my own answers to your questions would be that im thinking you would beable to stuff 37's under there before worrying about gearing, 35's forsure. The levelling kit I believe you can keep in the truck when you lift it but not entirely neccessary (I believe there was a post not to long ago where someone left it in), As for doing it yourself sure you shouldnt have a problem maybe have someone there with you who knows a thing or two and can lend a hand and keep a 2nd eye on things (instructions with kits HELP alot). The Top Gun kit looks pretty good and seems to be pretty customizable so if you wanted to go bigger later you could probably swap out the various components although I would say just throw in that 5" kit and if you wanted to go bigger later just throw in a 3" body kit.

As for your tire selection here is a good start.... theres a link on the bottom of each page for each tire that gives you customer reviews. Pretty useful for me anyways..... http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...eading/mud.htm

(Im sure there are many others on RAMz that can help you out better than that.... ive only lifted 2 trucks before and like you have always worked on cars (mustangs) so I know where your coming from.... were all learning here )

Last edited by canuckboy; 12-22-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Anyone else ??
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

to add to my question...

6) will I need longer brake lines or anything else that the kit doesnt include ?

7) will the stock sway bar end links be okay ?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: electric blue pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:584
foxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to all

i think any thing over 35's needs gearing,because you will lose alot of power and the gearing would help your mpg.
i would think the lift would come with everything you need!

if you want tires that last dont get a mud tire,if thats what you really want then go with the toyo m/t
but for high miles and ride quality i would go with a allterrain tire like the nitto terra grappler,bf goodrich ,or the pro comp xtreme a/t
2 1/2 level lift--hella 500ff grill lights--17x9 centerline grizzly-305-70-17 nitto terra grapplers--front air valance removed--tinted windows--custom audio system clarion vz401 head unit--pioneer 4channel amp and class D mono amp--memphis mclass door speakers--clarion dash speakers--kicker subs
Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Have you checked the tag that should be bolted to the rear diff cover to see what gear ratio you have now?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:30 PM
erm

Depending on how high you go, you will need some longer brakelines. I found several sets online for lifted trucks and they are braided stainless steel, a definite improvement over stock rubber lines.

Most lift kits include drop brackets for all your front end components so you are good there for reconnecting stock steering components.

The front track bar on your truck has probably gone bad...it's a weak link. You can go with a stock replacement but I don't believe it will stand up to a lift for very long.

I found a great front trackbar upgrade kit from DT ProFab and it's the one I am going with when I do my lift.

The spacers on the top of your front springs are probably part of a leveling kit. I don't like spacers on springs but the do work for leveling out a truck. If you see a lift kit above 3" with the spacers for the front springs, avoid it. in my humble opinion. That's a weak and cheap way to lift a front end if you are going up that much.

Find a lift kit that replaces the front springs, has all the drop brackets you need to relocate the front suspension and steering links as needed and that either adds a set of leafs to your rear springs or replaces the leaf spring pack entirely. SuperLift has a nice add-a-leaf system and there are quite a few re-arched sets available online.

Of course, you could go with a body lift.

Don't go with a kit that is all blocks. You'll beat yourself to death driving it.

That's my .02
Old 12-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Do you know if a 5 or 6 inch lift kit will require new brake lines or not??? The gearing in the truck now is stock. Still alot of unanswered questions. Thanks to lal htat have helped. Keep them coming/ thank you
Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue/sliver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:17
99 ram slt is on a distinguished road

no u wont need new brake lines, i installed a bds 5.5 kit and it had me use the factory brake lines jus droped the bracket done and pulled the axle breather tube down. i believe that the sport and off-road came with 4:10s, u will have the gears 2, 2 turn 35s jus fine. if u deside later on 2 run bigger tires i would go with 4:56 gears. i would invest in2 a tuner 2 fix ur speeddo cuz it will b off and 9t will also b able 2 correct it if u deside 2 change gears. another thing u cant run a spacer up front with a 5in left cuz u will destroy the carnahan joint on the front axle cuz of the step angle the drive shaft will b at. unless u drop ur t-case down. than u would have 2 lift the back up 2 make it level. than u will have 2 get longer drive shafts made 4 a lift bigger than a 6in

Last edited by 99 ram slt; 01-03-2010 at 03:38 AM.