DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice
Default Wynn's services

Hey guys, I need some of your opinions on Wynn's flushes. I was at the dealer last week getting some replacement bed rail covers and I was looking through their maintenance "menu." I noticed that they have such things as a differential flush, coolant flush, and other flushes.

I plan on keeping my truck for the long term so my question is, how important are these flushes and are they really necessary?

I'd like to keep my truck in the best condition possible but at the same time not spend money on unnecessary things.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Our dealership uses Wynn's and they're good products. The dealership will naturally try to sell these as maintainence at the scheduled intervals in the book. Chrysler says they do not recommend flushes unless indicated by the owners/service manuals or in the event of contamination of the particular system. Some of these can be done just as easily at home by anyone handy with basic hand tools.

The transmission flush is by far the best of their services. The machine we use for this ties into the cooler lines and flushes all of the old fluid out, even in the converter. This is much better than the drain and fill method and lets face it, how often do you see a plugged trans filter? If you have, chances are it was due to be overhauled.

Another favorite is the machine we use to service diffs with, simply because we don't have to remove any covers or drain plugs. It pumps out the old and pumps in the new through the fill plug. Anyone with an old electric fuel pump laying around could easily make a similar setup.

The brake flush is ok and the fluid is nothing special. This is also something that can be done at home with a vacuum pump or the help of someone to pump the brake pedal.

The power steering flush machine doesn't really impress me. It works great on the old Saginaw pumps, but isnt anything special. Again, anyone with a vacuum pump can do the same thing at home.

My least favorite are the cooling and crankcase flushes. We don't even do the crankcase flushes here even though we have the machine. I personally dont recommend them because theres the potential to break loose any sludge that could easily clog a pickup tube. The coolant flush machine is good for making a mess. It doesn't back flush the system like some of the better machines. Rumor has it that several of the machines are being redesigned. Until then, I'd recommend finding someone to back flush the radiator if its crusty, otherwise, you're about as well off to drain and fill the system yourself.

Last but not least is the fuel system service. It works pretty well, but in my opinion really isn't needed if you use an in-tank cleaner about once a month. You can also clean your own throttle body at home and Sea Foam works great on the intake runners. The down side is that you may trigger a MIL because the O2 sensors will read rich for a short while but if you have a code reader, this is easily fixed.

As for the fluids used in these flushes, they do have their own brand of additives but Chrysler does not recommend any additives above and beyond what is put in at the factory (i.e. limitied slip additive).

That's my take on Wynns and I use them on a daily basis.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Longhorn 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:38
RoughneckRam is on a distinguished road

I have had the fuel induction cleaner done. It is a gread product. I plan on geting the tranny flush and the break flush done at 60k, as well as the coolant flush done at some point. I love my truck and anything that will help the longevity of it I am all for it.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 09 ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RADMAN is on a distinguished road

i do my differential flush every 25000 km and i do my coolant and trany flush every 40000 km and i use syntetic oil in everithing mobil
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Fuel injection flush - add a bottle twice a year . With the technology they have in injectors now , haven't seen a dirty or clogged injector in years . Besides there are some additives in the fuel to help with this also .
Cooling system - Drain the radiator and drain the block by pulling the block plugs . Install fresh coolant with distilled water . Helps keep down with corrosion . Strongly recommend this by 30,000 .
Differential - Do as recommended by the maintenance manual .
Brake fluid - Every 30,000 .
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Thanks to everyone who answered my question, you guys are always helpful.