DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

UPDATE: Talk to the tech center today they said they do have complaints about the noise but wasn't able to get enough info to do anything about it now they are going to send a bulletin out with the info provided to help tech's and customers get this fixed thanks for being involved.....its was a long road...
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Interesting fix . I wonder how long they'll be on there once people start playing with their exhaust systems . Hopegfully they'll reinstall them and not throw them away .
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Interesting fix . I wonder how long they'll be on there once people start playing with their exhaust systems . Hopegfully they'll reinstall them and not throw them away .
It is an 'odd' looking device!!!! I'm sure most people will look at it and say "WTH do I need this for???!???!???"
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM

HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowardcustoms View Post
UPDATE: Talk to the tech center today they said they do have complaints about the noise but wasn't able to get enough info to do anything about it now they are going to send a bulletin out with the info provided to help tech's and customers get this fixed thanks for being involved.....its was a long road...
GOOD DEAL!!!!

I went up to the service rep this AM and scheduled my truck to be looked at tmrw. Showed him the pics soward posted, etc,,,

Of course, even though this is my 2nd trip for this issue, we are still at 'step 1' this time around as 'they couldn't make it rattle' the last time the service rep took the tech for a ride! (GRRRRRR!)
When I picked the truck up that time I took the service rep out (again) and made it rattle (again) for him, this time for about 2 blocks continuously!!!

Yeah, the service rep seemed 'a little' interested in the dampener this AM, and I left the pics and the TSB number with him 'for reference',,,

No, they wont order a dampener (and larger clamp) until the tech can hear the noise and decide what to do about it.

As posted earlier in this thread, I had 'adjusted' the rubber bushings a bit and tied one off with wire,,, It worked good for a while, but the noise is coming back,,,

Well, in order to help the tech HEAR it better, the wire has since been removed and the bushings are back in OEM position!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Let us know what they do for ya . Hopefully with this info they get it straightened out finally .
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM

sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

Houston I hope they help you with this if you where in my area it would be no problem I would take the tech for a ride I had to do the same thats when we figured it had to be something with the exhaust if not just have them call the star center and they will let them know what to do.....
Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM

I dropped the truck off this AM. I spoke with the service rep and he remebered the drive he and I took last time where he heard and agreed there there was a noise. (I had offered to take the Tech for a ride previously, but I keep getting 'stuck' with the service rep.) I also noted this AM that the noise seems to be most prevelant at ~1200~ rpm (right around 37-38 mph) in MDS mode. Got that info on the ticket as well.

Short of purchasing a dampener and trying to correct it myself, I've done about all I can do. I do believe, at least up until this point, I've given this issue a lot more thought, time, and research than my Dodge tech has.
(Evidently, 'chasing noise's' doesn't pay well, hence the lackluster results)

It's up to Dodge now to make some progress here.

soward, do you happen to have the dampener and correct clamp part numbers handy?

If worse comes to worse, I'll consider buying the parts outright and installing them myself.

I'm a 'Field Representative" for a Construction manufacturer, with "FIELD" being the keyword. I do not have an 'office job',,, I travel a lot, and not having transpo because my truck is in the shop does NOT suit my needs!

If $50 bucks worth of parts will fix my problem, It will be worth it to me just to have my truck back.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Sure Houston the dampener is 52103612AA list is $29.00 the clamp I looked up but haven't tried yet is 55398184AA list $17.50 its the clamp thats by the muffler its like a band clamp.....hope this helps...
Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Heck Yeah that helps!

I googled the dampener part number,,,

I've already one 'located' to purchase online (if need be) at chrysler parts direct,,,

($22.62 + approx 8 bucks to ship)

I even pulled up a copy of TSB 11-002-05 online that way, too!

I appreciate the help!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM

Well, no big suprise,,, Dodge 'struck out' in regards to fixing the problem.

They proceeded to tell me how they thought the OEM nerf bars were making the noise, and that they had 'adjusted them' and the noise is better now,,, still there, but 'better',,,

They also said they would need 'days' to chase down the noise to eliminate it.

Well, congratulations, Dodge,,, you finally admitted there is a noise!

And in thinking it was the nerf bars, eh, well, the day I bought the truck, that was the 1st thing I checked the very MINUTE I got home with it! One nerf was on 'finger tight' but tightening both nerfs made no difference in the noise whatsoever.

On the drive home, my suspicions were verified,,, no change whatsoever in the noise,,, No tone difference, no 'less or more' difference, no amplitude difference,,,

I really appreciated the part where the Service rep tried to indicate that the noise was only there at a certain speed, and not there all the time, so somehow I was supposed to believe it was 'acceptable' and just 'part of the truck'

I indicated that none of the vehicles I've ever owned in my 45 years on earth ever made a noise like this, and if this was just 'a part of the truck', I didn't want the truck.

Of course, it does no good to get snarly with the Service rep, so most of my banter was 'light hearted' (I know, I work in Customer Service myself!)

What pizzes me off the most is the Dodge folks are 'light years' behind me in the investigation of this issue, and 'progress' is so painstakingly slow, with each 'baby step' costing me my vehicle for a day,,,,,

I also discussed the 'nerf bar' issue further,,, (Let's assume they are rattling) As they are OEM parts installed by the dealer, don't they have the obligation to correct any rattles that 'may' be occuring as a result of their product and their workmanship on their vehicle???

The Service rep kinda hemi-hawed around, never would agree, and said he'd probably just recommend taking them off altogether!

Yeah, right,,,,

I'm not the type to blow up, as this type of 'exchange of information' between parties is exactly the kind of stuff I do all day for a living.

We further discussed the nerf's, and I indicated that one sure way to test their theory would be to take 'em off and see if it made any difference.

There are only 4 bolts attaching each nerf on my single cab,,, I'll take 'em off just for S & G tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. (Gut instinct says it won't,,,)

If not, I'll spend the ~$30~ or so on a dampener and try it myself.

I wish there was more initiative from MFG'S to their Techs to 'chase down noises',,,

As far as I can tell, there is NO initiative whatsoever from the MFG to a Tech to spend any time at all on tracking down noises,,,

No initiative = no results,,, or 'as little as possible to get 'em out the door' types of results,,,