DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Didn't you tell them and show them the picture of the dampener also . If so I can't believe that they wouldn't of even tried it .
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Didn't you tell them and show them the picture of the dampener also . If so I can't believe that they wouldn't of even tried it .
Remember, up until today, the Tech wouldn't even acknowledge the noise existed! He's about 30-40 days 'behind' me in 'researching' this issue.

I took in both of sowards pics, the TSB number, etc etc etc into the Service rep on Thurday 28. He and I discussed what soward had encountered and what was done to correct it. (Our discussion was rather one-sided)

Truck went in Friday 29,,,

They didn't try it for a few reasons, I guess,,,

1. They didn't have a dampener on hand to try, and they still don't plan on trying one anytime soon,,,
2. They are thinking its the nerf bars (My original thought, but pretty much disproved the day I brought it home!)
3. The TSB 'technically' is for 05-08 Rams with an exhaust noise at idle when in gear,,, (so my 09 with a noise at 1200 rpm can't be related, eh???)
4. They took their pretty little rubber mallet and 'thumped' all over the bottom of my truck, failing once to ever make the same sound,,, therefore, they were pretty much just 'guessing' it was the nerfs,,,
5. Even when I told them that I was succesfull in altering / changing/ mostly eliminating the sound by 'adjusting' the (2) rubber isolaters at cab/bed junction,,,, my words just fell on deaf ears,,,

I must have 'lost' the rep when I indicated that I felt the noise is actually frame resonance resulting from the isolaters hammering away back and forth on the hangers. Also, the hanger brackets being polished to a near-mirror finish in the areas where they make contact with the isolators didn't seem to 'register' with him either,, (LOTS of movement there VERN, don't cha think????)

I've already ordered a dampener. >$30 shipped. Any auto parts store will have a clamp to hang it with.

Worst case scenario, I'm out ~$35~ and 20 minutes of my time to install it,,,

Like I say, I'll still pull the nerfs off to see if it helps any, but, I really don't think it will.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM

HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Pulled the nerfs off this AM,,, No change in the noise what-so-ever,,, (IMAGINE THAT!)

Drove up to the Dealer without the nerfs on and 'talked' to my service rep, (a bit more 'sternly' this time!)

Asked him why we couldn't call Star Service (or Shield, I can't remember) and enquire as to WTH is going on, open a case, and see if they had any guidance for us,,, (like sowards Tech did!)

I had a copy of the TSB that soward mentioned with me, and (again) told them the whole story as to how Star Service had recommended this 'fix' for sowards '10,

I also reminded them that what they are trying has had no effect whatsoever on the noise, yet I can alter/lessen the noise by adjusting the isolators on the EXHAUST!!!

(DAMMIT VERN! I KEEP TELLIN' YA IT'S EXHAUST-RELATED!!!! Quit fiddle-farting around over there with yer rubber hammer and 'focus' your 'efforts' over HERE!!!!)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
Pulled the nerfs off this AM,,, No change in the noise what-so-ever,,, (IMAGINE THAT!)

Drove up to the Dealer without the nerfs on and 'talked' to my service rep, (a bit more 'sternly' this time!)

Asked him why we couldn't call Star Service (or Shield, I can't remember) and enquire as to WTH is going on, open a case, and see if they had any guidance for us,,, (like sowards Tech did!)

I had a copy of the TSB that soward mentioned with me, and (again) told them the whole story as to how Star Service had recommended this 'fix' for sowards '10,

I also reminded them that what they are trying has had no effect whatsoever on the noise, yet I can alter/lessen the noise by adjusting the isolators on the EXHAUST!!!

(DAMMIT VERN! I KEEP TELLIN' YA IT'S EXHAUST-RELATED!!!! Quit fiddle-farting around over there with yer rubber hammer and 'focus' your 'efforts' over HERE!!!!)
I feel your pain Houston its annoying driving a brand new truck around and hearing it rattle like its 15 years old its crazy to me how they can't try an easy fix like this or at the least call the star center for you I wish I could do more for you.....
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM

At this point, with the noise as it is, I'm feeling pretty confident that the dampener will fix it. As I have already ordered one online, I'm not too 'worried' about not being able to resolve the issue.

Now, I haven't told the dealer that I've already got the part ordered. I feel that, at least for the benefit of those after me, this dealer needs to be more pro-active in regards to correctly determining what the issue is as well as the fix.

If I were to just 'blow them off' and not go back, well, that's probably exactly what the dealer would like to have happen!

Even if the dealer does call Star Center and they agree to put a dampener on,
I do not intend on taking my truck in yet another time just for a dampener. (This would be the 3rd trip) I'll put it on myself this weekend when my part shows up. (Easy fix)

Now, I'll be more than willing to let my dealer go ahead and order the parts, and I'll 'promise' to bring the truck in,,,,, =) Heh heh heh!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM

sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
At this point, with the noise as it is, I'm feeling pretty confident that the dampener will fix it. As I have already ordered one online, I'm not too 'worried' about not being able to resolve the issue.

Now, I haven't told the dealer that I've already got the part ordered. I feel that, at least for the benefit of those after me, this dealer needs to be more pro-active in regards to correctly determining what the issue is as well as the fix.

If I were to just 'blow them off' and not go back, well, that's probably exactly what the dealer would like to have happen!

Even if the dealer does call Star Center and they agree to put a dampener on,
I do not intend on taking my truck in yet another time just for a dampener. (This would be the 3rd trip) I'll put it on myself this weekend when my part shows up. (Easy fix)

Now, I'll be more than willing to let my dealer go ahead and order the parts, and I'll 'promise' to bring the truck in,,,,, =) Heh heh heh!
I would be the same way I don't like people even working on my truck and i've known them for years if I can do it I do it..... I hope you let them have it when you bring it up there fixed....
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowardcustoms View Post
I would be the same way I don't like people even working on my truck and i've known them for years if I can do it I do it..... I hope you let them have it when you bring it up there fixed....
Hey soward,,, I'm getting no where fast with the dealer,,, (again) LOL!!!

When your tech called Star service, do you remember who he talked to, if there was indeed a 'new' TSB to come out from your case, a specific case number, or anything else I can use to 'ASS-ist' the dealer here? =)

I don't really care if they put on dampener on my truck or not as I already have one coming,,,

This one is a little more 'personal' now that they are (again) not calling me back as promised,,, (Imagine that!)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Hey soward,,, I'm getting no where fast with the dealer,,, (again) LOL!!!

When your tech called Star service, do you remember who he talked to, if there was indeed a 'new' TSB to come out from your case, a specific case number, or anything else I can use to 'ASS-ist' the dealer here? =)

I don't really care if they put on dampener on my truck or not as I already have one coming,,,

This one is a little more 'personal' now that they are (again) not calling me back as promised,,, (Imagine that!)
I will try and find out his name Houston they said there writing up a TSB but it could be a while before its out. I did drive two trucks on the lot with regular cab short bed hemi's an SLT and a base model and both make the same noise some of the sales staff thought I was crazy so I took them for a ride needless to say I'm not crazy.....I will let you know...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowardcustoms View Post
I will try and find out his name Houston they said there writing up a TSB but it could be a while before its out. I did drive two trucks on the lot with regular cab short bed hemi's an SLT and a base model and both make the same noise some of the sales staff thought I was crazy so I took them for a ride needless to say I'm not crazy.....I will let you know...
I appreciate all the help I can get! Surely, if more and more of these vehicles are making the same noise, a TSB is eminent.

On an 'interesting' sidenote,,, As is normally the case, the 'Service Manager' sent me a 'generic' form letter yesterday congratulating me on the purchase of my new Dodge 'automobile'. The letter proceeds to indicate how much they 'appreciate' me, and how they wish to assist me with all my Service needs!

Heh heh heh,,, Well, I now have the SM's name and number, and I think I'll give her a ring,,, let her now how 'well' it's going,,, I won't be hostile towards her, but hopefully the result will be that it will 'light a fire' under someboody's butt to at least try and 'think outside the box' here, and utilize a little creativity and good old fashioned mechanical savvy, vs, "I can't find a TSB for that issue in that year model, so just bring it in and we'll let it set until we have a free minute to look at it"
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Heh heh heh!

I just spoke with the SM. She was very apologetic about my experiences with my Service Advisor and was in disbelief that the he just 'blew off' the TSB suggestion!

I gave her all the TSB info, and also indicated that the clamp listed in the TSB would be too small. She really was helpful and seemed concerned about the Service Departments image, (As she should be!)

I will take the truck in monday AM and drop it off.

I will be out of town for work Monday -Weds. (Fly out and back)

The SM indicated, with no hesitation, that they will provide me with a rental car at no cost while my truck is in the shop. (I'll drive it to and from the airport!)

THAT'S the way it ought to be!