DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 8speed
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
tjf2000 will become famous soon enough
Default Did not work...

My parts came in and I installed them as per the picture posted here... no luck, so then I began trying different locations from the front y pipe all the way back to the muffler... the closer to the muffler the worse the noise got... so I know it is doing something.

Where has everyone installed it. For what it's worth mine is a 4x4, from the picture posted looks like that was a 2wd. Any others with 4 wheel drive have the same problem.

50-55mph, at 1500rpm in o/d lockup and I can reproduce the noise at will...flat level ground liitle noise any type of slight incline it will rattle, today have day off will be looking at possible loose heat shields or anything else that can rattle up front.

Will be taking out the service mgr next week who has acknowledged the problem and has been looking for tsb's or anything else on the this topic.

Any help would be great.

Tim
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

If moving the dampener towards the muffler makes the noise worse, move it forward towards the Y pipe.

The original TSB for a seperate issue had it mounted on the pipe beween the Y and the exhaust manifold on the the 'driver side' of the truck.

Mine is a 2wd regular cab and I have it about midway between the front exhaust hanger and the Y pipe.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 8speed
Rep:51
tjf2000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
If moving the dampener towards the muffler makes the noise worse, move it forward towards the Y pipe.

The original TSB for a seperate issue had it mounted on the pipe beween the Y and the exhaust manifold on the the 'driver side' of the truck.

Mine is a 2wd regular cab and I have it about midway between the front exhaust hanger and the Y pipe.
I have moved it right up to the bottom of the y-pipe with the noise reducing ever so slightly... the next step would be to try some locations on each of the tubes leading to where it becomes a single pipe. There is not much room there as the cats are pretty big. Of course there is the pipe the goes under the oil pan....hmm may try that next.

Thanks.... this entire problem just rally ticks me off... pay good money for a truck and rattles like a tin can......
Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf2000 View Post
Thanks.... this entire problem just rally ticks me off... pay good money for a truck and rattles like a tin can......
I hear ya! Pizzes me off even more when the dealer can't 'think outside the box' when it comes to troubleshooting.

I was once told it was probably my nerf bars, but it 'really wasn't that big a deal', so I might just have to live with it or remove my (dealer installed DODGE) nerf bars!!!

Buncha fuggin numb-nuts!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
midnite1967 is on a distinguished road

Thank GOD I found someone with the same problem. I have disabled the MDS and still can reproduce the noise. I told my dealer it sounded like an AC unit gone bad. I noticed my engine with 16000 miles ticking at startup. Let’s top this off with today my tranny decided it didn’t want to downshift when the throttle was pushed to the floor and up shifted very hard. I had to turn the truck off for a few minutes then all was good.
Now I find out about reconditioned oil……. This Sucks!! I have a feeling my new truck is junk now L
Please post if you have found the answer to the tranny noise. Heading to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks!!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge dakota
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
hutchison is on a distinguished road

I have the same noise issue with my 2009 Dakota. At lower speeds 45-55 mpr under light load it sounds like a well used manual tranny growl until it comes out of overdrive or I switch to tow mode. Dealer - no help. Have you been able to solve this problem?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:75
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

For those of you wondering about the shuddering noise & while in MDS mode...
Its the torque converter...! Type in your search for "Star Case" you`ll find it.
Ther has been a "known fix" for it since last june.
(2008 thru 2011 4.7 5.7 engines are involved)

Here is the torque convertor "Star Case" info
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=93998

Last edited by Rambunkshuss; 12-22-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
Rep:13
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road
Angry Torque converter lock up shudder...still persists with new RL051146AB Torque Converter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
I just searched DealerConnect for any outstanding TSB's and can't find any info on either problem. I haven't seen or heard of either of these problems as of yet, but we haven't had many problems with the '09-'10 models or the 545RFE. Occassionally we have had to put in a torque converter due to shudder on lockup. Are you sure your problems aren't related to the MDS kicking on and off?
Hi RamTech, I had the drone issue with my 2011 Ram 1500, had the Torque converter replaced for the annoying drone with a R8051146AB (Re-man converter). Then the shudder started to apeared when the torque converter locked up, brought it in. So the dealer replaced the torque converter with a RL051146AB (new) torque converter. But when I am going on an exit on the highway ( coming from 100 kms/hr) to coast down to the exit speed limit 70kms/hr, then to maintain the exit speed (70 kms/hr) by lightly applying throttle on a down hill grade exit, the shudder appears. What the heck is going on? They replaced the torque converter with supposedly a new one, doesn't shudder as severe, or as often as the re-man converter did. But why is it still a shudder there, like running over rumble strips? Just wondering if you came across with an issue like mine. My dealer refuses to change the converter again, and it did not act up when they were recently diagnoising the truck for the shudder again. It is aggrevating, so as soon as I came home off the exit ramp of the highway (110 km/hr) to coast down (slight down hill to 70 kms/hr), and maintain speed (70kms/hr) with light tap from the throttle, the shudder would happen.