DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4X4 5.7H
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Two Tone - Grey/Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:38
pieece is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccga3359 View Post
Only if someone was asllep at the switch on the assembly line!

The gear ratios are the same that way all four wheels turn at the same speed. A 4x4 has two differentials, an AWD has three. Each axle has a diff, this allows one wheel to turn at a different speed to the other wheel on that axle. In the simplest form only one wheel is powered, the other wheel is along for the ride. Tends to be the wheel with less traction gets the power hence why a 5 litre Mustang just sits and spins and goes backwards down a snowy hill that he's trying to get up. So in the 4x4 Ram we split that power front and back through the transfer case that way we're powering one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back. In an AWD their transfer case is basically a differential cending power either to the back axle or front. AWD do use an certain amount of hocus pocus to devide the power otherwise you'd just have a higher, boxier Mustang spining one wheel either in the front or back. 4x4 guys can further power all their wheels at the same time by using locking differentials, so that both wheels on the same axle are locked together like the transfer case does for the front and back.

Now the reason for your symptons on tight turns is because all four wheels are following a different circle, therefore all 4 wheels need to turn at different speeds. Going forwards 4x4's are fine because all four wheels are travelling the same distance at the same speed, sloppy or dry it's fine just uses more gas because the engine is working harder to power the front diff. In tight turns, with two power wheel locked to gether something has to give. Sloppy conditions like snow or wet mud allow the front wheel to slip therfore letting it speed up to match the speed of the rear wheel. On dry pavement it doesn't slip (at least not easily) and that's what you're feeling, pushing the front tire to the point of maximum traction, letting it lose traction only to find traction again, then only to lose traction. Very hard on the tires, very hard on the drivetrain. So yes slip it back into rwd on tight turn on dry pavement.

^----Me left
ccga - Right

Guess I stand corrected.
Now I'm going to go do some research.
17" Eagle Rims/2" Leveling Kit/33" Nitto Terra Grapplers/Billet Grille/K&N CAI/SUPERCHIP/-5% Tint/Black Chrome Running Boards/Black Chrome Light Bar/Behind the Grille Running lights - HALOS/4 100W KC Daylighters - Black/Fire-Ice Bar/Recon Smoked LED Cab Lights/Electronic Safe/
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Atlantic Blue
Rep:42
ccga3359 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieece View Post

^----Me left
ccga - Right

Guess I stand corrected.
Now I'm going to go do some research.
And I could yet stand to be corrected too. For me from the tranmission back is a lot of black magic. Rep to you for not getting into a flame war.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4X4 5.7H
Color: Two Tone - Grey/Silver
Rep:38
pieece is on a distinguished road

No reason for a flame war.... If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. lol

But When I grew up I have always known gear ratios in the front to be a little off set then the rear... ? Or am I wrong there.... I'm researching it right now though. haha
17" Eagle Rims/2" Leveling Kit/33" Nitto Terra Grapplers/Billet Grille/K&N CAI/SUPERCHIP/-5% Tint/Black Chrome Running Boards/Black Chrome Light Bar/Behind the Grille Running lights - HALOS/4 100W KC Daylighters - Black/Fire-Ice Bar/Recon Smoked LED Cab Lights/Electronic Safe/
Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:24
95dodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

i have heard of the front ratio being slightly different allowing the front to essentially pull the rear keep it from sliding around in slippery conditions. i don't have any proof of this but that's why you're not supposed to run 4x4 on dry pavement at all cause it sort of tensions the drive-train and causes excess wear on the tires and differentials even in straight lines
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
Color: Black
Rep:10
BigThirsty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccga3359 View Post
Only if someone was asllep at the switch on the assembly line!

The gear ratios are the same that way all four wheels turn at the same speed. A 4x4 has two differentials, an AWD has three. Each axle has a diff, this allows one wheel to turn at a different speed to the other wheel on that axle. In the simplest form only one wheel is powered, the other wheel is along for the ride. Tends to be the wheel with less traction gets the power hence why a 5 litre Mustang just sits and spins and goes backwards down a snowy hill that he's trying to get up. So in the 4x4 Ram we split that power front and back through the transfer case that way we're powering one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back. In an AWD their transfer case is basically a differential cending power either to the back axle or front. AWD do use an certain amount of hocus pocus to devide the power otherwise you'd just have a higher, boxier Mustang spining one wheel either in the front or back. 4x4 guys can further power all their wheels at the same time by using locking differentials, so that both wheels on the same axle are locked together like the transfer case does for the front and back.

Now the reason for your symptons on tight turns is because all four wheels are following a different circle, therefore all 4 wheels need to turn at different speeds. Going forwards 4x4's are fine because all four wheels are travelling the same distance at the same speed, sloppy or dry it's fine just uses more gas because the engine is working harder to power the front diff. In tight turns, with two power wheel locked to gether something has to give. Sloppy conditions like snow or wet mud allow the front wheel to slip therfore letting it speed up to match the speed of the rear wheel. On dry pavement it doesn't slip (at least not easily) and that's what you're feeling, pushing the front tire to the point of maximum traction, letting it lose traction only to find traction again, then only to lose traction. Very hard on the tires, very hard on the drivetrain. So yes slip it back into rwd on tight turn on dry pavement.

What he said. Called driveline bind. No bueno on dry pavement in a cornering situation.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 02 ram 1500
Color: red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:26
okami89 is on a distinguished road

Yeah it's normal it does that so that in mud and other wet spots it will dig in and give you traction, you won't feel it in wet surfaces.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
FingerBang is on a distinguished road

owners and/or service manuals right from dodge and free.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

Last edited by FingerBang; 12-16-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram QC 1500 4x4
Color: Grey
Houwlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerBang View Post
owners and/or service manuals right from dodge and free.

Thanks for the link. I keep a laptop in the garage just for this reason.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 RAM Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
MRP is on a distinguished road

Don't burn your hubs bud - Use 4 low, not 4 lock.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:32
mw1311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrasber View Post
Unfortunately my truck didn't come with its manual. I did a quick search on the internet and was only able to find sites selling the manuals and not the actual manual itself so I figured I'd just ask on here. I'm sure it won't be the first "dumb" question I ask so please bear with me.