DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
bigbass19 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible heater core problem PLEASE HELP

Hey guys here it is. I have an 01 ram 1500 5.9 v8. It started out with heat going on and off, and now I can hear the coolant being pushed through every so often when the engine starts running real hot. I don't know if there is just a clog somewhere or if I need a new heater core. I have never taken a dash apart before. Please help with what I can do, and if I should try to do this myself. If I should take this in, how much am I looking at? Thanks for the help.

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 1500 quad cab 4x4
Color: dark blue
cfiiguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to cfiiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass19 View Post
Hey guys here it is. I have an 01 ram 1500 5.9 v8. It started out with heat going on and off, and now I can hear the coolant being pushed through every so often when the engine starts running real hot. I don't know if there is just a clog somewhere or if I need a new heater core. I have never taken a dash apart before. Please help with what I can do, and if I should try to do this myself. If I should take this in, how much am I looking at? Thanks for the help.

Mike
i had this same problem with my 98 1500. first thing i did was pulled the hoses from the intake and the water pump,attached a garden hose and did a flow test. the core was fine. long story and lots of trouble shooting later, it turned out to be the radiator. replaced it 3 years ago and have had no trouble since.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

When you say running hot you mean overheating? If you have heat in the cab and there are no leaks, the core isn't your problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
bigbass19 is on a distinguished road

It's getting hot, but not to the point of over heating. It also has the smell of coolant. The heat comes and goes and there is none at all if I'm not moving. I'll have to do that flow test to see if it might be the radiator too. Thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
jeffyhat

I had the same problem with my 98 1500, but mine was a clog. The previous owner put stop leak in it, and it was apparently too much. It was doing the exact same thing with the heat build up and than you could hear the antifreeze go through and strong smell of it too.. Flush your radiator with high pressure (have a garage do it) if a clog is the problem, replace the thermostat as well. Hope that works for ya!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sounds like it could be a heater core then. A pressure test of the cooling system will tell you and can help locate any leaks.