DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suede headliner

Well guys, we had some absolutely amazing weather for a few days so I had the gungho idea of finally switching in a suede headliner. So I did some web searching and found a couple of good write ups so I thought I'd pass on what I did with my ram's since a couple of people have talked about doing it.

Tools required:
#50 torx for seatbelts
#15 torx for sun visors
10mm socket w/ extention
Spray adhesive (make sure it's for headliners, most aren't) I used Permatex from Auto Value
Roller
heat gun
rubber gloves
dust mask
Suede (2.5m from any fabric store)

Time: 1 day
Cost: $100Cdn ($60 in fabric)

Firstly, removal of all the upper pillar covers was a snap after you remove the seatbelt and grab handles. After that, remove the dome light (I don't have an overhead console) completely, the rear coat hooks (they're a chore, you have to pull the bottom half of the hook out and getting it started is hard). removing the sun visors is simple, they're held by 3 torx screws and the clips which are the same as the coat hooks.

Once it's all pulled apart, open all the doors, remove the headrests and fold the front seats back as far as possible. Pull the liner down and rotate it 90 degrees inside the cab. You have to bend it a bit, but there's some flex. Remove the headliner through the passenger front door.

Alright, the headliner is 2 parts, there's the foam backing and the foam cloth. On the back of the foam cloth is a thin layer of fiberglass which comes off with the cloth, and after pulling about a foot off, I got some nitrile gloves and my respirator since fiberglass is annoying to work with. *Note* if you want to re-inforce with fiberglass once you remove the cloth you can... I didn't and noticed the liner is a little more flimsy than before.

Once the cloth is completely removed, I sanded the foam down to remove any high points from left over foam cloth and fiberglass (wear the respirator for this part as MMMFs are lung irritants).

Then I layed out my black suede and cut the excess off, save this for the sun visors. I did the glue in 2 parts, one half at a time since it's such a large surface and the glue tacks up pretty fast.

Start at one end and smooth towards the corners/sides, pushing all the air pockets out. I got a glue spot or two on the liner and i'm not sure how to remove it for now. When applying the glue, allow it to tack a bit before squeezing the fabric down or it'll squeeze through and matte the suede's pile down.

Once I pulled everything tight and reached the front pocket where the sun visors screw in, I could not for the life of me get rid of the creases because of the shape of the pocket, so I went with it and made them both uniformly creased, so it looks pretty good.

If you need to warm up the glue to smooth out a section then heat it up with the heat gun and rework the area.

Onto the sun visors!

They fold open I found, so using a flat blade screwdriver, I gently pryed them apart and you can see what they look like here

To cover them, I used the original fabric as a template on the suede and stretched it over the visor. Using small slits I stretched the cloth and hooked it over the pins, then as I closed it up, I pressed the loose fabric inside and the hooks the OEM cloth is pressed on keep it in place. Final looks like this... and no, I did not make a sleeve like the OEM visor.

Then I dyed all the hooks black and the dome surround to match my interior accent.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Great job on changing the fabric. Thanks for sharing and writing this up. I think it's looking great so far. Once you get it installed, would like to see what it looks like inside the truck.

What did you dye the hooks and dome lamp with?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 AM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

thats cool i wish i could do stuff like that but most stuff i have done to my truck is done through a mechanic.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 AM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamateo76 View Post
Great job on changing the fabric. Thanks for sharing and writing this up. I think it's looking great so far. Once you get it installed, would like to see what it looks like inside the truck.

What did you dye the hooks and dome lamp with?
Thanks! Installed pics will be tomorrow, was too dark by the time i got everything finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiv8dodgeram1500 View Post
thats cool i wish i could do stuff like that but most stuff i have done to my truck is done through a mechanic.
This can be done by anyone... It's a first for me and was pretty easy, just need the time to do it. I'm finding a lot of mods I can do myself, cuz I refuse to shell out stupid amounts of money for a 'pro' to do something any half-cut 'tard can do in his 1 bedroom condo ( that's me BTW )
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome work sir!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Excellent, very professional

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Reinstalled the liner today. I'm pretty happy with it. I still need to take my stetson brush to the fabric to smooth it out.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Looks great there Cd .
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram ST 4.7L V8
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
BCWhite is on a distinguished road

Awesome, I may just go with suede too.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Looks awesome Kurtis reps when i can!
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.